Profile for Dan E. Ross > Reviews

Content by Dan E. Ross

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Dan E. Ross "Dan Ross" (Frisco, Tx USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Intelligence: A Very Short Introduction
Intelligence: A Very Short Introduction
by Ian J. Deary
Price: CDN$ 10.76
38 used & new from CDN$ 2.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Short and TONS of useful information - a Great primer!, Feb. 4 2002
This book is a great introduction to the subject of Intelligence and psychometrics! I just completed the book in two days and must say it was very insightful and straight to the point. It wasn't the easiest reading but far more straightforward than most psychology/sociology stuff I have come across. I knew very little about psychometrics before reading this book as I majored in accounting and got my MBA, with an emphasis in finance. Plus I have some engineering. I say this to put it into perspective as psychology, sociology, philosophy haven't been easy for me to comprehend in the past as they have been too verbose for me and boring, as it is out of my primary field of interest. But, I was very happy to read this book and learned a lot in a short matter of time. Additionally, if you want to learn more the author points to additional books/articles on each topic discussed. This book is great for the following reasons:
1) It is easy to read as it is written to the non psychiatrist.
2) It has a section explaining the only technical stuff used, which is statistics (used in studies outside of psychology too.)
3) It provides a synopsis of the top issues, studies, articles and conclusions written about intelligence.
In my opinion, the author of this book is very fair and reasonable as he consistently stated both sides of an argument if there was one to an issue. He did provide his insights only after stating what the majority of his fellow associates had concluded as well as if the debate was largely over or not within each issue.
So what was talked about in this tiny book of 125 pages?
1) Is there a general factor in intelligence?
2) Are there multiple types of intelligence, as Howard Gardner thinks?
3) Are people getting smarter?
4) How does race, age or the environment you are raised in affect intelligence?
5) What is the 'Flynn effect'?
6) How do our brains work?
Basically, Deary convinced me that there is a general factor that accounts for one's mental abilities but, as he states, there is still much research to be done as to how the brain operates so that improvements can occur in testing/research and cures for horrible diseases, such as Alzheimers, can be figured out.

Mtv's: The Return of the Rock 2
Mtv's: The Return of the Rock 2
Offered by @ ALLBRIGHT SALES @
Price: CDN$ 19.84
11 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Alot better out there.......Try and find it..., Feb. 4 2002
Unlike other reviewers I am trying to forget I bought this CD. I am a rock fan. LOVE ROCK MUSIC. I thought there was a winner here with tons of artists I recognized but most of the songs absolutely... Great artists but their worst work. MTV2's new album, Handpicked, does a great job with alternative rock music as there are tons of great songs on it......LOADED with at least 8 but this one... in comparison as there were 1-2 songs I really liked.
I was personally VERY suprised how few good songs there were on this one..........There are alot of artists you know but not their best work, let alone good work.
Spend your money on better albums folks. Do another...search for rock compilations and, most importantly, listen to the album first. I wished I did. I wish I had some other great compilations to provide but they are few and far between. Hopefully MTV will quit harming their brand image by putting out... like this.

25 Classical Favorites
25 Classical Favorites
Price: CDN$ 6.08
17 used & new from CDN$ 2.58

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the classics - timeless, Feb. 4 2002
This review is from: 25 Classical Favorites (Audio CD)
The Cd is "Classical" favorites so the emphasis is not so much on emotions but rather on instrumentation and orchestration. These are all very exceptional and I guarantee satisfaction. Anyways, I am not a classical listener as far as radio stations go but my musical tastes vary dramatically. I found this album to be a phenomenal bang for the buck as I can, on occasion, listen to the classics of which I have heard and thoroughly enjoy listening to. This album has it all.......Mozart, Brahms, Chopin, Bach, Pagony, Tchaikovsky, etc.
I really like listening to this CD........
Musical tastes vary dramatically which, if you think about it, is kind of ironic given that a CD is anywhere from 60-90 minutes and a book may take 3-5 hours to read but, for some reason, people tend to be socially grouped more by music than books. Just something to think about.

Ladies And Gentlemen Best Of
Ladies And Gentlemen Best Of
Price: CDN$ 16.23
49 used & new from CDN$ 1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bang for the buck - disc 1 is amazing!, Feb. 4 2002
If you are straight or gay listen up. EVERYONE LOVES THIS CD. I've had this album borrowed by tons of friends. I personally listen to disc 1 to unwind after a stressful day but I have yet to find a woman that doesn't love listening to this CD. Most guys would rather discuss whether George is gay or straight but the reality is that the music is great. No one should deny that.
I love this collection and personally listen to disc 1 entitled "for the heart" much more than disc 2 which is entitled "for the feet." As the titles imply disc 1 is a compilation of Mr. Michael's best slow songs and disc 2 is a compilation of the more dance-oriented, upbeat songs.
If there was any complaint I had about the album it was in disc 1 with the order of the songs and the tempo. While the songs are more love oriented they go up and down in tempo, which I didn't care for so I burned ...onto my computer and reorganized it and then burnt it onto a blank CD. LOL. Songs on disc 1 include: "Jesus to a Child", "Father Figure", the slow jazz tune "Kissing a Fool", and a beautiful cover of Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me". My personal song on the album is "you have been loved."
I won't discuss disc 2 much but on a bang for the buck basis this album ranks WAY up there in my opinion. BUY IT NOW! What are you waiting for? Heck, listen to it on the links above. You can't lose!

The Singles 81-85
The Singles 81-85
Price: CDN$ 13.78
21 used & new from CDN$ 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great bang for the buck album, Feb. 4 2002
This review is from: The Singles 81-85 (Audio CD)
Most of the songs on this album come from "Some Great Reward.". The songs on Singles 86-98 come from the albums "Black Celebration," "Music for the Masses," "101," "Violator," "Songs of Faith and Devotion," and "Ultra." Between the DM1 (85-85) album and DM2 (86-98) album you get great bang for the buck although I must be disappointed that "People are People" is nowhere to be found.
Depeche Mode, by many, is considered a "synthesized 80's/early 90s band." However, I would point out that they use guitars and other real equipment in their concerts and some of their tracks. They are more than just a "synth band" in that their beats are hypnotic and their vocals are excellent.
Many people purchase their CDs nowadays to reminisce about "the good old days." If you are someone in your 20s or early 30s many a good time probably occurred to one DM song or another. As a Depeche Mode Fan I will recognize that Violator was the album that busted these guys wide open to selling millions upon millions of albums and that is representative in the DM2 CD (86-98), as it is primarily chocked full of Violator tracks. To me, that was also their best work and was driven, in my opinion, by the progressive nature of electronics. During the 80s/early 90's keyboards and beat machines improved DRAMATICALLY and "synthesized bands" such as DM kept improving their music.
I purchased this CD and the Depeche Mode 2 CD as I didn't have a lot of their stuff on CD format. Folks, if you like great vocals and great beats buy DM2 and DM1. Both of these albums are LOADED with great songs and represent great "bang for the buck" albums, something rare in the music industry. Other good albums with keyboard/dance beats/vocals would be Moby's Play album, the Smiths Singles album and, if you want to be more modern BT's Movement in Still Life and Chicane's Behind The Sun Album is worth listening to and then purchasing.

The Singles 86-98
The Singles 86-98
Price: CDN$ 21.61
43 used & new from CDN$ 6.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bang for the buck, Feb. 4 2002
This review is from: The Singles 86-98 (Audio CD)
The songs on Singles 86-98 come from the albums "Black Celebration," "Music for the Masses," "101," "Violator," "Songs of Faith and Devotion," and "Ultra." The only DM album not represented here is "Some Great Reward," which lends songs to Singles 81-85. Between the DM1 (85-85) album and DM2 (86-98) album you get great bang for the buck although I must be disappointed that "People are People" is nowhere to be found.
I purchased this CD and the Depeche Mode 1 CD as I didn't have a lot of their stuff on CD format. Folks, if you like great vocals and great beats buy DM2 and DM1. Both of these albums are LOADED with great songs and represent great "bang for the buck" albums, something rare in the music industry. Other good albums with keyboard/dance beats/vocals would be Moby's Play album, the Smiths Singles album and, if you want to be more modern BT's Movement in Still Life and Chicane's Behind The Sun Album is worth listening to and then purchasing.

The Fortune Tellers: Inside Wall Street's Game of Money, Media, and Manipulation
by Howard Kurtz
34 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Definitely NOT worth the time, Jan. 28 2002
Definitely not interesting financial journalism ........I've read LOTS of books on financial satire, economics, finance, etc but this was one of the most worthless books I have ever read. At the end of the day, what did I get out of it? Not much was my conclusion.....
The book, as someone else mentioned goes something like this......
* The market goes up. Jim Cramer rants. Maria Bartiromo pouts
* The market goes down. Jim Cramer rants. Maria Bartiromo pouts
Repeat - over and over again
Remember, these folks in the media are talking heads. If the market is going up or down they don't care as they just report what is going on. They are in the business of generating ratings, which pays the bills for the large corporations that own them. They try to deliver breaking news and many do but, at the end of the day they are journalists. It does talk about some of the history behind the financial news industry but, in general, I didn't really learn a lot that I find of value or humorous nature.
I love CNBC......I love REALMONEY.com but this book was lackluster. Most folks don't want to write negative reviews but I won't hesitate to do so when I come across something that people should avoid. It is well written, has a very nice front cover design but, at the end of the day, it is basically the life of Jim Cramer, CNBC folks and other related parties. Modern day hoopla......Its got buzz appeal and that is about it.
If you want to learn something about the characters on Wall Street/society read some stuff by Michael Lewis such as Money Culture of Liars Poker. Or you could read about how great companies are built and run by Jim Collins in his classic Built to Last and new book Good to Great. If you are going to spend the time reading a book get something out of it of some value. This is just drivel.

The Knowledge Economy
The Knowledge Economy
by Dale Neef
12 used & new from CDN$ 14.04

5.0 out of 5 stars The Great articles make this book worth its while, Jan. 28 2002
This review is from: The Knowledge Economy (Paperback)
This book is a collection of articles by different authors dealing with the knowledge economy. I began reading this book hoping to find some answers to some of my thoughts on the changing economy and the first article by Mr. Drucker blew my mind away. I LOVED IT.
The book is separated into different sections:
1. The Changing Economic Landscape
2. Knowledge as the Economic Force of Growth and Change
3. Measuring and Managing the Intangibles of Knowledge
4. Learning Organizations in the Global Knowledge-Based
Economy
5. Society and Public Policy: Government, Education, and
Training in the Knowledge-Based Economy
Some authors included Robert Reich, Peter Drucker and Lester Thurow. I found another article by Stan Davis and Jim Botkin to be very interesting also.
I found that the first article in each section tended to be the most interesting within each section. I don't know if it was intentionally designed this way or not but, at the end of the day, I found at least 3 articles in this book or about 90-100 pages total that completely stimulated my mind.
I believe every educated person should take an economics course, more specifically one that teaches them the importance of their career path on the impact to the society in which they live in. We are moving into a world where economic distribution is becoming more skewed towards the knowledge worker and one where societies based on knowledge will increasingly generate greater wealth than other countries.
We are moving into a world where wealth creation is biased towards the creation of knowledge and how that knowledge is manipulated to create additional knowledge. Nations that continue to dominate their economic agenda based on natural resources and industrialization may do decent but they will continually fall behind the fastest growing countries. Why is it that the CRB has DECLINED over the past 20 years and not risen? After all, is demand for such products not greater than ever? Why is it then that such countries aren't the economic powerhouses? If you seek answers to such questions this should be an interesting read for you. Don't expect every article to excite you...But what few nuggets you find will truly enrich your knowledge.

The Maslow Business Reader
The Maslow Business Reader
by Abraham H. Maslow
Price: CDN$ 48.50
21 used & new from CDN$ 13.25

3.0 out of 5 stars Heirarchy of Needs is the value in the book, Jan. 27 2002
The key element of Abraham Maslow's work, especially as it applies to the business world is that while organizations and economies change, people and psychology remain relatively constant. Mr. Maslow's work was about his desire to better understand what truly makes humans strive to reach their potential.
Mr. Maslow wasn't a business specialist; he was a psychologist and revolutionized behavioral sciences with seminal work on the "hierarchy of needs." Mr. Maslow's work began being preached to business students in the early 1960's through Douglas McGregor's work.
This book is a collection of published and unpublished articles and thoughts by Mr. Maslow, edited by Deborah Stevens.
This book provides insights from Maslow on fostering entrepreneurship, enhancing creativity in the workplace and maximizing the organizational effectiveness of individual workers through self-actualized work.
If you are looking for a good business book GO ELSEWHERE but if you want to learn about the hierarchy of needs or Abraham Maslow this book may be the book for you.
As a general rating I give the book 3 stars. Why? Because, outside of the basic framework on the hierarchy of needs and the evolution of man within it I found the book boring and I consistently found myself searching for groundbreaking or extremely applicable comments in various sections to the realm of business. Yes, business is about creativity and innovation (even more so in today's information age) but other books provide more insight into those areas. Innovator's Dilemma by Clayton M. Christensen is such a book.
Don't get me wrong, if you have never read Maslow you need to as it is REQUIRED READING at all the top MBA programs and truly is essential in understanding business and managing a business. Business is about people and understanding what makes them tick. However, as it pertains to reading material I found myself searching for great commentary and not getting much. I like to read a book and find myself completely absorbed by it reading 50-60 pages at a time (with this book I could never do it and I love reading heady stuff.) I read primarily business books, even some economic philosophy stuff, which is deep stuff, but it was far more thought provoking than this book.

The Worldly Philosophers: The Lives, Times And Ideas Of The Great Economic Thinkers
by Robert L. Heilbroner
Price: CDN$ 15.16
46 used & new from CDN$ 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read about economists and theories, Jan. 27 2002
I read Adam Smith's "Wealth of Nations" back in college my senior year, all 1200+ pages of it. I've read parts of Communist Manifesto and Capital by Karl Marx and some Joseph Schumpeter. I loved it all (especially Smith and Schumpeter) but it was BRUTAL as the dialects in those days varied so much from today's.
If you are new to economics or want summaries/insights into the greatest economists in history this book is for you. Mr. Heilbroner's book, the Worldly Philosophers, is the best books on economics I have come across and I have endured graduate level economic courses, both macro and micro (along with the undergraduate courses.) This book provides readers with a nice summary and analysis of the great Economic thinkers from Adam Smith, Karl Marx, David Ricardo, Mill, Keynes, Schumpeter and others. I found the book to be very general and not extremely analytical/scholarly if you will.
The summaries of each man's economic concepts and life/times in which he lived were extremely accurate. Additionally, I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that the author tries to explain the multi-disciplined nature of economics and how it is a combination of sociology, history, political science and philosophy all rapped into one. If you look at the London School of Economics graduate program you will find over 30 unique Masters Programs in economics as the field is increasingly becoming applied and specialized into different parts of the society. Mr. Heilbroner asks a question at the end such as "are we seeing the end of Worldly Philosophers?" as the field is increasingly getting more specialized and very few economists are tackling the "big picture" anymore and how the various components of an economy (land, labor and capital) are intertwined with each other. Definitely something to think about.....
I found myself sitting down and reading a chapter at a time, 50-60 pages, with no problems at all. Mr. Heilbroner doesn't give you everything but perhaps enough to chomp your teeth into the works of each philosopher on your own. At the end of the book he has a list of suggested readings for those seeking more information on any of the economists/subjects mentioned but, frankly, I don't think many can handle 99% of the stuff.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11