Profile for Tony Rico > Reviews

Content by Tony Rico

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Tony Rico

Demonic: How the Liberal Mob Is Endangering America
Demonic: How the Liberal Mob Is Endangering America
by Ann Coulter
54 used & new from CDN$ 0.10

1.0 out of 5 stars Demonic?, Aug. 19 2011
Typical Coulter. Lots of name-calling and self-righteousness.

Know thy enemy. That's why I read this stuff.

The Roots of Obama's Rage
The Roots of Obama's Rage
by Dinesh D'Souza
Price: CDN$ 22.26
38 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Offensive, Aug. 19 2011
Know thy enemy -- that is why I read this stuff. The content of this book was offensive to me. It should be filed under fiction. It is a shame that race has informed people's opinion of a president in one of the most difficult periods in recent history. Obama's rage? My goodness. I've never even heard him raise his voice.

Power Grab: How Obama's Green Policies Will Steal Your Freedom and Bankrupt America
by Christopher C. Horner
Price: CDN$ 22.37
28 used & new from CDN$ 0.36

1.0 out of 5 stars Forsythe's the troll, June 10 2011
Methinks Mr. Forsythe's been drinking the Oil Baron Koolaide again!

With Elizabeth May finally winning a seat in Parliament, it is obvious that people are waking up. With the hottest summers in history around the corner, people are now seeing the evidence for climate change in their daily lives. The Oil Company Koolaide's potency is starting to wear thin...

Obama's green policy history is actually very weak compared to other nations. What Obama has been trying to do, mostly, is wean American off of oil, especially foreign oil. Why? Because eventually we'll run out. It takes millions and millions of years to break down organic matter into oil. When it's gone, it's gone. We're now drilling in increasingly difficult locations to get at it. Witness: last year's Gulf of Mexico disaster. Obama is pushing for renewable energy, which he MUST. Do you know what a "seep" is? No? Do you know why? They don't exist anymore!

Forsythe can say all he wants, but the science speaks for itself regardless of the smear campaigns. It's not even new science. Schoolkids learned about the "greenhouse effect" in their grade 10 science classes 30 years ago. Power grab? Sure. Al Gore invented the greenhouse effect 30 years ago? Sure. Right.

I don't agree with cap & trade, but in today's world, people will capitolize on anything. Somebody is ALWAYS getting rich off the backs of the poor and unfortunate. That doesn't mean global warming doesn't exist.

Let me ask Forsythe a direct question. Where does CO2 go when we pump millions and millions and millions of tons of it into the air every year? CO2 that was previous locked up under miles of rock in the earth? Does it float off into space? Does it magically disappear. Of course not! So where does it go, Forsythe? And most importantly, what does it do?

Rolling In The Deep
Rolling In The Deep
Offered by marvelio-ca
Price: CDN$ 78.70
5 used & new from CDN$ 48.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes only two songs!, June 3 2011
This review is from: Rolling In The Deep (Audio CD)
From the CD description above"
"European two track CD pressing of the first single lifted from her 2011 album 21. Includes the album version of 'Rolling In The Deep' and the non-album cut, 'If It Hadn't Been For Love'."

1. Worth it for the GREAT non-album cut.
2. A CD single is usually 2-4 songs, you got what you paid for.
3. A "demo" is a rough recording of a song, which has nothing to do with this.

Tony -- fighting stupidity since 2010.

Where's the Birth Certificate?: The Case that Barack Obama is not Eligible to be President
by Jerome Corsi
Price: CDN$ 14.53
63 used & new from CDN$ 0.24

1.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly debunked even before release, June 1 2011
"Where's the Birth Certificate"? Well, right there. We've all seen it now.

I have my own question: If the president was a white guy named Barry O'Bama, would anybody be even asking such insulting questions? Of course not. This has nothing to do with a birth certificate (which he showed everybody, by the way, funny how people forget that!) and everything to do with the fact that he's black, a liberal, and has an ethnic last name. That's it, that's all.

I won't go into all the arguments detailed here. We've heard them all before and they've all been debunked, especially now that the release of the actual birth certificate has happened. I did not see anything new here that doesn't already exist on the web, and that's the truth. I have been following this story since November of 2009, and there is nothing in this book that I have not heard, and have not seen debunked many, many times.

Not to mention, this book fails to explain the existance of two birth announcements in Hawaii newspapers. Oops! I've yet to hear any birther explain that one!

Hey birthers? How DID those two newspaper announcements get in the paper anyway? Do you expect me to believe that The Powers That Be have groomed this man since birth to be a liberal president who wants to tax the rich? GIVE ME A BREAK. No argument in this book holds water. Not one. And I've heard 'em all.

Racist drivel. Difficult to believe how anybody could fall for this nonsense.

Hard Bargain
Hard Bargain
Price: CDN$ 18.42
37 used & new from CDN$ 9.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome album, April 28 2011
This review is from: Hard Bargain (Audio CD)
This CD is among the best she's done in the last few years. Just awesome. Can't think of any better words.

Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Episodes I-VI) Box Set - [9-Disc Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Mark Hamill
Price: CDN$ 79.99
22 used & new from CDN$ 73.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth It: the Force is strong with this one., Feb. 24 2011
So we've all had a chance to view the set for a few days now and what can I say? It's what you expect and a little more. As an added bonus, Lucas gave you whiners something you've wanted for a long time: An official release of the Boba Fett cartoon from the Christmas special! Yes it's on here folks. Just go to 2nd Special Features disc: Chapter V: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK: Imperial Chase - Boba Fett Costume: it's there.

So there you go, whiners! Lucas gave you something you've been whining about for years.

As for the movies:

The picture: Looks great. No complaints.
The sound: Very happy. It was great to hear these old sound effects in high-def. I felt like I was hearing stuff that wasn't there before. Which, may have been the actual case.

The changes: Meh. Some are OK. Some are not OK. I have I think 4 versions of the Original Trilogy so far:

1. The 1997 original theatrical Special Editions, with an old primitive CG Jabba. These are the ones you saw in the theater in 1997 and later on VHS, but never on DVD. I do have these on a nice bootleg DVD.
2. The 2004 DVD special editions. Had some cleanups, such as a new CG Jabba, and Hayden replacing Sebastian Shaw as ghost-Anakin.
3. This new 2011 blu-ray edition.
4. The original, original Trilogy.

All I am missing was the (1995?) THX remasters, which was issued on VHS only in the early 90's. If you bought Star Wars on VHS any time between (let's say) 1994 and 1997, then you you owned the THX remasters. These had their own changes, most notably, some modified sound effects. Betcha didn't know that you owned an altered version of Star Wars eh?

So with all these editions already out there and relatively easy to get, additional changes are no big deal. Seriously, what did you expect? I liked the new Episode I Yoda just fine, I think he looks better than the Episode I puppet Yoda. I liked the blinking Nemoidians and Ewoks. Don't like the "Noo..." I don't know anybody who does like it. But it's a few seconds of film in an otherwise pretty good looking and sounding disc. One thing about the blinking, at first it's distracting. Then you realize it's not distracting because it looks bad, it's distracting because you've never seen it before.

But my point is this: I have the original editions on DVD. So do you, presumably. If you don't buy them. They are easy to find. Then, you can stop your whining. Who cares? They're out there. If you don't want the special editions (either THX, theatrical, original DVD, or these) then don't buy. You got what you want, stick to them, and enjoy!

The special features...OH MAN. I have read about some of these deleted scenes for decades. Decades! I remember listening to the Star Wars radio drama back in the 70's and listening to that scene of Luke watching the space battle from Tattooine. I am so happy to have them. The featurettes and docs...holy cow when am I going to have time to watch all this stuff? They really gave you bang for your buck this time! The value for the money is insane. You simply cannot go wrong if you are a Star Wars addict. They are nerd-tastic. I am so happy with this aspect of the set. Only the Alien box set has special features to match this (the packaging is identical to the Alien box set as well).

One more bonus: Got the 1983 Creatures feature with Billy Dee Williams on this set! Had this on VHS back in the day!

I have thought long and hard about how to rate this set, and my conclusion is that it is worth four stars for the following reasons:

1. Most of these movies are great. I would say 4 out of 6 of them are simply great films, meaning 4 stars or more.
2. The transfer is what I expected and hoped for.
3. I don't care about special editions anymore. To me, it's actually a bonus. Like when they remixed the old Who albums. I have the originals, so does everybody, so who cares?
4. The bonus features more than make up for the lack of the original versions that I already own elsewhere.
5. The pricing is more than fair.

I am going to do a mega Star Wars weekend and absorb as much as I can. Enjoy. This set is well worth it. And in case you don't have the original versions, stop whining. Buy these:

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983 & 2004 Versions, 2-Disc Widescreen Edition)
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980 & 2004 Versions, 2-Disc Widescreen Edition)
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977 & 2004 Versions, 2-Disc Widescreen Edition)

If you're a diehard Lucas h8r, then you need to buy this!
The People Vs. George Lucas DVD

But let's face it, George's grip on the real world is loose at best. Why would you expect an old man to change? Maybe your grip is as loose as his?

May the Force be with you! (Sorry could not resist that)