Profile for onespeedreed > Reviews

Content by onespeedreed
Top Reviewer Ranking: 883

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

onespeedreed
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

OPTIMUS H-5210 IR QUARTZ RADIANT HEATER
OPTIMUS H-5210 IR QUARTZ RADIANT HEATER

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little heaters., Nov. 11 2013
These are distributed under a few different names. I have two. Well worth the price.

They are durable, well built, quiet, efficient, and cheap.
They sure seem to throw a lot of heat considering they only use 800 watts on high.
They produce a nice sun-like glow and heat.
Did I mention they were quiet?

Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Price: CDN$ 219.00
15 used & new from CDN$ 201.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine, Nov. 11 2013
Good lens. Arrived well packaged. Arrived fast. My D5200 with this lens makes for incredible low light shooting.

Whoever said these were refurbished or reconditioned was wrong. Mine was brand new.

InstantComfort Infrared Heater
InstantComfort Infrared Heater
Offered by Track Tech
Price: CDN$ 88.96
7 used & new from CDN$ 82.80

2.0 out of 5 stars hugely overpriced but not a bad heater, Nov. 11 2013
Bought one of these from a big box store the other day for $90 bucks after taxes. Took it back the next day.

Same trouble others have reported with unreliable thermostat. I never could get it to cycle on and off properly.

Turn it on, put it on high. Throws hot air immediately. It will heat an area quite fast. Nice radiant heat like the sun. The fan gets it out there nicely. I've tried a few heaters recently up to $180 and this one is best for heat output and circulation. Yes I know 5200 btu is the standard output for any 1500 watt heater. I wonder how many are actually tested for output? You would think if they are UL or CSA approved they would be.

Unfortunately, it fails in several areas.

Build quality is flimsy and cheap.
Fan is too loud.
Thermostat is useless.
It is bright on low and hurtful to look at on high.
Most importantly, it is way too expensive. It really is only worth around $40 equipped the way it is.

It would be fine in situations where you don't care about the noise or brightness, and you need constant output at 900 or 1500 watts.

This thing could have been a real winner if it had a good thermostat and a quieter fan. I could live with the 'sunshine' mainly because its therapeutic in the winter. Price would still have to be lower.

I see where there is another model with digital controls at the bottom. Maybe its ok.

I have two little infrared radiant heaters(cheap) on the go now. No fans, no thermostats, well built, and switchable between 400 and 800 watts. I used one of them constantly last winter. They seem very efficient but not quick heat. I've given up on the other high priced junk out there.

Le Pan TC 970 9.7-Inch Multi-Touch Google Android Froyo 2.2 OS
Le Pan TC 970 9.7-Inch Multi-Touch Google Android Froyo 2.2 OS
3 used & new from CDN$ 219.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed 8 months later. Expensive clock., Aug. 19 2011
I've just finished spending 6 hours with this machine. Sorry for the quick review but I think first impressions are important. I bought it on the strength of many others' good reviews in various places.

I've never used android before but I am familiar with Mac OS,Ios, and Nokia Ovi. I am very familiar with linux operating systems.

The Le Pan is attractive. It is not well built and it is flimsy. The bezel "gives" here and there when handling the unit. The charger/usb connection seems poor and I'm not sure how it will stand up to long term plugging and unplugging.

Many others complain about the small recessed power button. It is awkward but not a show stopper.

The display is spectacular. Very bright and crisp with no flaws whatsoever. Utube videos play and show better on the Le Pan than they do on my higher end laptop. AngryBirds is fullscreen and great fun. I cannot fault the multimedia performance.

The camera is good. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of photos and video. Most of these 'cell phone' type cameras take terrible pictures and videos.

It was nice of them to put the camera on the front considering I've yet to get any kind of video chat working. Skype works but not video. From what I'm reading online Google Voice and Video is not available and probably will not be for android 2.2. Fring video does not work. I'm not happy about this as video calls are important to me.

The speakers are tinny but what can one expect for such a small machine? The microphone works well.

The battery life is impressive. I went a good six hours on whatever charge it had outofthebox.

It does run several apps well. There does not seem to be a shortage of horsepower.

I do not find Android intimidating at all. It is fairly easy to navigate and "market" for apps is big plus for these tablets. Lots of neat stuff available much like Apple ios.

Wifi works perfectly with good connectivity. It had no problem hooking up to my wpa wireless.

Right now I'm on the fence about keeping it. I am in love with the display. I'm not sure it is worth the $270.

You know how it is ... "you get what you pay for".

* Update ... a few days later.

This unit is still going strong. My wife has really taken to it. The superb display and strong battery is what makes this tablet stand out. At the current price of $229 I would highly recommend this tablet. 4 stars at this price point.

* Update ... 10 days later.

I decided to buy the new Toshiba Thrive so we could both have a tablet. Toshiba has the jump on everyone else due to its customer replaceable battery. I have heard it can cost in the neighbourhood of $150 to $200 to send a unit out for a battery change.
The Le Pan has a better display with its aspect ratio! The navigation menu is better. I suspect it has a better battery too.
Sure the Thrive has better connectivity options, two great cameras, and a good build quality. Still no skype video.
So far, I do not see Android 3.1 being leaps and bounds better than 2.2.

Is the Thrive worth twice the price of the Le Pan? I don't think so.
I'm upping my recommendation to 4 stars for the Le Pan. It loses one star for its build quality.
If you have been debating this purchase I say "jump all over this" at $230. You will not be disappointed.

* Update ... May 2012.

We have hardly used the unit after the first three months and now it is dead. Power button seems to be the likely cause from reading other's reviews. Sent it back to LePan for warranty repair but others are complaining of months to wait. Customer service and software updates have not been good. Disappointed? Yes.
I do not recommend buying LePan products and I'm giving it one star. Even at $174, avoid at all costs.

* Update ... Dec. 2012

What a waste of $270! LePan has totally abandoned this model. No software updates whatsoever. I did send it back for the power button and it was promptly returned, repaired, which was a good thing. It is still totally unreliable. Even as a bedside clock it will occasionally freeze. Android 2.2 is too old. There is a way to get 2.3 installed if one searches. I may try this eventually but the process is not perfected yet.
If I can give anyone advice, its to stick to mainstream manufacturers like Acer, Asus, Samsung, Toshiba ...
I bought an Acer at a door crasher sale for $179 and its been awesome. My Thrive is still going strong but Toshiba is slow to supply updates but at least they do.
Stay away from the cheapo $100 no-name tablets. They have crappy speakers and microphones and are useless for video/phone uses. I can heartily recommend Blackberry Playbooks for video chatting. High quality and available for under $150.

eForCity 2x 3.6V 1000mAh BT446 Battery Compatible with Uniden Cordless Phone
eForCity 2x 3.6V 1000mAh BT446 Battery Compatible with Uniden Cordless Phone
Offered by Eforcity
Price: CDN$ 8.78
2 used & new from CDN$ 8.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Good battery., Aug. 13 2011
Replaced the batteries in 3 Uniden phones with these.

These batteries are just as good if not better than what came with the phones.

Anysharp Knife Sharpener
Anysharp Knife Sharpener
4 used & new from CDN$ 35.28

5.0 out of 5 stars It does sharpen knives easily, Aug. 13 2011
This review is from: Anysharp Knife Sharpener (Kitchen)
Easy to use and the knives are sharp. What more can I say?
In fact, I do not have to sharpen knives anymore. The wife does it with three or four swipes. Another labour saving device for us lazy hubbies.

netTALK  DUO
netTALK DUO
Price: CDN$ 59.99
8 used & new from CDN$ 51.08

3.0 out of 5 stars 2 years later with nettalk., Aug. 13 2011
This review is from: netTALK DUO (Office Product)
Ordered the nettalk and it arrived just a few days later. It was well packaged. Great service from Amazon.

Followed the instructions and activated the phone via nettalk's website. This was a painless operation. You do not get to choose a phone number nor can you port your present number. In B.C. you will end up with a Vancouver number something like this: 778-300-****. You can change the number if you do not like the one assigned but its like "a box of chocolates". No telling what they will give you.

I have only had the unit a week or so but I cannot really complain. My telus internet was borked and nettalk still worked when it should not have. A telus tech got my internet back to snuff today. Nettalk really works good now! I was just on the phone with my sister long distance for 2 hours and the quality was excellent. Btw, nettalk works well with both the Siemans and Dlink wireless routers supplied by telus.

I really like the 'email voice messages' feature. Tested and works a charm. They also have an app for my itouch to make free calls with ... pretty neat. Tested and works.

Except for the lack of area codes and numbers for Canada, there is nothing else to complain about.

I would not advertise the fact to my internet provider that I am using Nettalk. This little device is going to knock the heck out of our monopolizing phone companies.

* Update after a month of usage.
I am still very happy with Nettalk. Call quality is good and the service is quite reliable. You cannot beat the price.

* Update after 10 months.
We are no longer nettalk fans. We have it in our summer home and did not use it all winter. We, now, experience dropped calls, static, and a lot of clicking like someone is picking up another phone on our connection. We suspect the poor quality may be due to increased usage and sales of these devices. It is still worth the money for visiting with family but it cannot be relied on for important calls. I give it two stars only.

* Update. 2 years later.
We still have Nettalk. They 'lost' our number last spring. Nettalk blamed someone for cutting a fiber optic cable in Western Canada. They had to issue us another number, saying our old number was lost forever. This was not appreciated in the least. Funny thing is, we still receive calls from ppl dialing our old number. Strange.

Nettalk has been very reliable since the 'lost' number fiasco. Calls are clear. My only complaint is that sometimes we need to dial twice to get a connection. We still get the rare disconnect. There is still 'clicking' sounds at times. Callers have not complained of connection problems or sound quality.

Number selection is still limited. We cannot get a local number. Anyone calling us locally are calling long distance.

We do not use nettalk as our primary number. It still saves us loads of money on long distance. Great for visiting with family and friends. We have a decent cell phone plan for our home # and coupled with nettalk long distance, makes for a good combo. We have the convenience of a cell phone and cheap long distance for less money than our old landline. My wife gets a discount for the cell phone through work, I should add.

Currently, I will recommend Nettalk. Not sure if the rates have went up but at around $40.00 a 'year', its still a bargain.