summer boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools
Profile for onespeedreed > Reviews

Content by onespeedreed

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

onespeedreed

Page: 1 | 2
Acer Chromebook 11.6" Laptop (Intel Celeron, 4GB DDR3, 16GB SSD)
Acer Chromebook 11.6" Laptop (Intel Celeron, 4GB DDR3, 16GB SSD)
Price: CDN$ 278.00
12 used & new from CDN$ 258.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality for the price., June 11 2016
I recently bought his&hers chromebooks elsewhere. Mine are the 131 models but appear to have identical specs to these. I cannot say enough good things about these little laptops.
Great sound quality listening to my music over the built-in speakers. It is rare to have decent speakers on a cheap laptop. The display is decent for watching movies and videos on the go. The microphone is excellent for voice and video calls which was my primary need.
One must remember this is not a full blown Operating System. It will provide all the primary needs with apps and extentions. I am running lubuntu via crouton for more options but find I rarely, if ever, need to use it.
Android Playstore apps are coming to these machines this year. This is a real game changer which will blow a hole in the tablet market. Why buy a tablet when you can buy a full blown laptop for under $250.00?
Jump on one of these before the masses catch on to the tremendous bargain.

Lenovo N21 80MG0001US 11.6-Inch Laptop
Lenovo N21 80MG0001US 11.6-Inch Laptop
Offered by Mikes Computer Shop
Price: CDN$ 219.99
9 used & new from CDN$ 219.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad little laptop., June 4 2016
I had just bought the comparable Acer model. I liked it so much I decided to give it to the wife and buy the Lenovo for myself. I chose the Lenovo because it was a few dollars cheaper, same ram, same power, and advertised as more durable.
It arrived well packaged and fast. I did not think the build quality was that robust. A little slimmer than the Acer. I was pretty pleased overall till I tried google voice and skype. The microphone was no where near the clarity or volume of the Acer. I decided to return it as voice communications were most important. I also noticed the keyboard was not as responsive as it should be with having to press keys twice to get a response, occasionally. Still a good machine for the money.
This machine will run linux just fine using Crouton or Chrx. Skype works fine in linux on these machines. I normally wipe out the proprietary OS and use Linux but with Playstore coming to these things I'm thinking these machines will rock.

Casio Men's W800H-1AV Classic Digital Sport Watch
Casio Men's W800H-1AV Classic Digital Sport Watch
Price: CDN$ 23.33
25 used & new from CDN$ 22.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Good work and play watch., June 2 2016
Great cheap watch. I am far sighted but can still read the display. The watch band will fit those with huge wrists. This watch has a low profile and not huge like so many watches sold today. Its a rugged watch. Don't worry about showers or swimming. This thing is water tight. The buttons are a little exposed but I rarely experience any issues. It keeps great time.

Magnasonic Professional Ultrasonic Polishing Jewelry Cleaner Machine for Cleaning Eyeglasses, Watches, Rings, Necklaces, Coins, Razors, Dentures, Combs, Tools, Parts, Instruments (CD2800)
Offered by ShopTronics
Price: CDN$ 38.99
8 used & new from CDN$ 38.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that great., April 14 2015
Nothing special here. Wife has to run her jewelry through it several times to see improvement. This is not the same as jewelry stores use.
We have had it several years and it still works anyways.

BV Bicycle Super Bright Pollywog LED Safety Light Set
BV Bicycle Super Bright Pollywog LED Safety Light Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Safety at a small price., April 14 2015
Great little lights! They are small but powerful. Easy to attach and remove. Drivers look puzzled when I ride by and give me a wide berth. I left one on all night and it still flashes brightly. Great value and no complaints.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and bright little lights., April 14 2015
Nice and bright little lights. Not huge and will fit on a congested handlebar. Goes a long time on a charge. I use mine on low power on city streets. High power would be great for dark trails. There is a flashing setting too if you want to be very visible during daylight. Good value and no cons I can think of.

OPTIMUS H-5210 IR QUARTZ RADIANT HEATER
OPTIMUS H-5210 IR QUARTZ RADIANT HEATER

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little heaters., Nov. 11 2013
These are distributed under a few different names. I have two. Well worth the price.

They are durable, well built, quiet, efficient, and cheap.
They sure seem to throw a lot of heat considering they only use 800 watts on high.
They produce a nice sun-like glow and heat.
Did I mention they were quiet?

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Lens
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Lens
Price: CDN$ 238.00
18 used & new from CDN$ 211.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine, Nov. 11 2013
Good lens. Arrived well packaged. Arrived fast. My D5200 with this lens makes for incredible low light shooting.

Whoever said these were refurbished or reconditioned was wrong. Mine was brand new.

InstantComfort Infrared Heater
InstantComfort Infrared Heater
6 used & new from CDN$ 173.91

2.0 out of 5 stars hugely overpriced but not a bad heater, Nov. 11 2013
Bought one of these from a big box store the other day for $90 bucks after taxes. Took it back the next day.

Same trouble others have reported with unreliable thermostat. I never could get it to cycle on and off properly.

Turn it on, put it on high. Throws hot air immediately. It will heat an area quite fast. Nice radiant heat like the sun. The fan gets it out there nicely. I've tried a few heaters recently up to $180 and this one is best for heat output and circulation. Yes I know 5200 btu is the standard output for any 1500 watt heater. I wonder how many are actually tested for output? You would think if they are UL or CSA approved they would be.

Unfortunately, it fails in several areas.

Build quality is flimsy and cheap.
Fan is too loud.
Thermostat is useless.
It is bright on low and hurtful to look at on high.
Most importantly, it is way too expensive. It really is only worth around $40 equipped the way it is.

It would be fine in situations where you don't care about the noise or brightness, and you need constant output at 900 or 1500 watts.

This thing could have been a real winner if it had a good thermostat and a quieter fan. I could live with the 'sunshine' mainly because its therapeutic in the winter. Price would still have to be lower.

I see where there is another model with digital controls at the bottom. Maybe its ok.

I have two little infrared radiant heaters(cheap) on the go now. No fans, no thermostats, well built, and switchable between 400 and 800 watts. I used one of them constantly last winter. They seem very efficient but not quick heat. I've given up on the other high priced junk out there.

Le Pan TC 970 9.7-Inch Multi-Touch Google Android Froyo 2.2 OS
Le Pan TC 970 9.7-Inch Multi-Touch Google Android Froyo 2.2 OS
5 used & new from CDN$ 86.02

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed 8 months later. Expensive clock., Aug. 19 2011
I've just finished spending 6 hours with this machine. Sorry for the quick review but I think first impressions are important. I bought it on the strength of many others' good reviews in various places.

I've never used android before but I am familiar with Mac OS,Ios, and Nokia Ovi. I am very familiar with linux operating systems.

The Le Pan is attractive. It is not well built and it is flimsy. The bezel "gives" here and there when handling the unit. The charger/usb connection seems poor and I'm not sure how it will stand up to long term plugging and unplugging.

Many others complain about the small recessed power button. It is awkward but not a show stopper.

The display is spectacular. Very bright and crisp with no flaws whatsoever. Utube videos play and show better on the Le Pan than they do on my higher end laptop. AngryBirds is fullscreen and great fun. I cannot fault the multimedia performance.

The camera is good. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of photos and video. Most of these 'cell phone' type cameras take terrible pictures and videos.

It was nice of them to put the camera on the front considering I've yet to get any kind of video chat working. Skype works but not video. From what I'm reading online Google Voice and Video is not available and probably will not be for android 2.2. Fring video does not work. I'm not happy about this as video calls are important to me.

The speakers are tinny but what can one expect for such a small machine? The microphone works well.

The battery life is impressive. I went a good six hours on whatever charge it had outofthebox.

It does run several apps well. There does not seem to be a shortage of horsepower.

I do not find Android intimidating at all. It is fairly easy to navigate and "market" for apps is big plus for these tablets. Lots of neat stuff available much like Apple ios.

Wifi works perfectly with good connectivity. It had no problem hooking up to my wpa wireless.

Right now I'm on the fence about keeping it. I am in love with the display. I'm not sure it is worth the $270.

You know how it is ... "you get what you pay for".

* Update ... a few days later.

This unit is still going strong. My wife has really taken to it. The superb display and strong battery is what makes this tablet stand out. At the current price of $229 I would highly recommend this tablet. 4 stars at this price point.

* Update ... 10 days later.

I decided to buy the new Toshiba Thrive so we could both have a tablet. Toshiba has the jump on everyone else due to its customer replaceable battery. I have heard it can cost in the neighbourhood of $150 to $200 to send a unit out for a battery change.
The Le Pan has a better display with its aspect ratio! The navigation menu is better. I suspect it has a better battery too.
Sure the Thrive has better connectivity options, two great cameras, and a good build quality. Still no skype video.
So far, I do not see Android 3.1 being leaps and bounds better than 2.2.

Is the Thrive worth twice the price of the Le Pan? I don't think so.
I'm upping my recommendation to 4 stars for the Le Pan. It loses one star for its build quality.
If you have been debating this purchase I say "jump all over this" at $230. You will not be disappointed.

* Update ... May 2012.

We have hardly used the unit after the first three months and now it is dead. Power button seems to be the likely cause from reading other's reviews. Sent it back to LePan for warranty repair but others are complaining of months to wait. Customer service and software updates have not been good. Disappointed? Yes.
I do not recommend buying LePan products and I'm giving it one star. Even at $174, avoid at all costs.

* Update ... Dec. 2012

What a waste of $270! LePan has totally abandoned this model. No software updates whatsoever. I did send it back for the power button and it was promptly returned, repaired, which was a good thing. It is still totally unreliable. Even as a bedside clock it will occasionally freeze. Android 2.2 is too old. There is a way to get 2.3 installed if one searches. I may try this eventually but the process is not perfected yet.
If I can give anyone advice, its to stick to mainstream manufacturers like Acer, Asus, Samsung, Toshiba ...
I bought an Acer at a door crasher sale for $179 and its been awesome. My Thrive is still going strong but Toshiba is slow to supply updates but at least they do.
Stay away from the cheapo $100 no-name tablets. They have crappy speakers and microphones and are useless for video/phone uses. I can heartily recommend Blackberry Playbooks for video chatting. High quality and available for under $150.

Page: 1 | 2