march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools
Profile for JenniferB > Reviews

Content by JenniferB
Top Reviewer Ranking: 311

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

JenniferB "@ Quiverfullfamily.com" (Alberta, Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Bo's Cafe: A Novel
Bo's Cafe: A Novel
Offered by Hachette Book Group Digital, Inc.
Price: CDN$ 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, Sept. 27 2015
I've mentioned before that teaching fiction isn't exactly my favorite genre. It takes a terribly talented author to pull it off without it feeling preachy. Teaching fiction so often ends up being neither great fiction nor great teaching. This proves true with Bo's Cafe.

Bo's Cafe makes no bones about being a platform for the authors belief in relationship based Christianity. I've got no issues there - living a transparent life in Christ with others is a beautiful, freeing thing.

What does ring false for me though, are the conversations that take place between the two male main characters. Now...I'm a woman, so maybe men do talk to each other this way. I've never ever seen it, though. A mentor dedicated to one on one meetings that he spends using a strange form of Socratic, psycho-babble questioning? Honestly, this incessant dialogue was very annoying. It certainly seemed more like talk therapy than it does encouraging and exhorting one another from the Word of God.

The takeaway? Get friends, get real. I'm not sure I needed an entire novel filled with quasi-spiritual, self-helpish talk to get there. In any case, I won't be taking another trip to Bo's Cafe anytime soon.

I received a review copy. All thoughts are my own.

Owen Fiddler
Owen Fiddler
Price: CDN$ 6.51

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't Recommend, Sept. 27 2015
This review is from: Owen Fiddler (Kindle Edition)
This is a tricky review to write, since I have corresponded with the author and respect him and his journey. I also read and enjoyed Marvin Wilson's autobiographical work, I Romanced the Stone. Owen Fiddler is another matter however.

Owen Fiddler is a man in need of a saviour. Self-serving and degenerate (as we all are before knowing Christ), he enjoys crawling around in the muck and mire. Or he thinks he does in any case.

One of my main dislikes of this title are about how Wilson chose to portray that degeneracy. I believe there are ways to clearly depict those sorts of actions (which are unsurprising in and of themselves) without writing them as though there were a boom-boom-wah-wah soundtrack playing. I found the writing mood distasteful and 'icky'. Of course, Fiddler IS icky, but I would prefer reading about him without being IMMERSED in his ick.

The theological perspective is also a bit dicey. I won't go into details, but the perspective is more of a Christian spiritualism as opposed to a more orthodox set up.

I continue to respect Wilson as an individual, and as a non-fiction writer. This work was a miss for me though.

I received a review copy, all thoughts are my own.

Hot Chocolate with God: Just Me & Who God Created Me to Be
Hot Chocolate with God: Just Me & Who God Created Me to Be
by Camryn Kelly
Price: CDN$ 11.39
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Girly Delight, Sept. 26 2015
My Thoughts: From the moment my daughter (8) saw this book, she was SO excited! ”Wow, Mom, I think this book was actually written by these girls!!” We received a black and white ARC (review copy, all thoughts are my own), but the final copy must be even more spectacularly girly with all of the flowers and embellishments. This one is perfect for tweens.

Ghostwriter
Ghostwriter
Price: CDN$ 2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Scary, Sept. 26 2015
This review is from: Ghostwriter (Kindle Edition)
I've read a number of Thrasher's works, he spins tight, suspenseful tales. Ghostwriter, however, was gory, dark, and leaned dangerously towards spiritism (longing to communicate with the dead). Not my favorite work of his. Some scary stuff I can handle. This was a bit much - only buy this if you actually enjoy horror. I won't be keeping my copy.

This was a review copy. My opinions are fully my own.

Westcott Spring Assist Preschool Scissor (15483)
Westcott Spring Assist Preschool Scissor (15483)
Price: CDN$ 2.49
3 used & new from CDN$ 2.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Last, Sept. 19 2015
Only had this a few weeks before one of the blades popped off the plastic it was mounted on. Bad design.

Household Dinnerware Stainless Steel 4.9" Dia Heat-insulated Dinner Rice Bowl
Household Dinnerware Stainless Steel 4.9" Dia Heat-insulated Dinner Rice Bowl

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice, Sept. 19 2015
Nice insulated bowl, good size, dishwasher friendly. We plan to buy more.

Now Better Stevia - Zero Calorie Sweetener (Certified Organic) 1 lbs
Now Better Stevia - Zero Calorie Sweetener (Certified Organic) 1 lbs
Offered by LH-Nutrition
Price: CDN$ 91.74
8 used & new from CDN$ 82.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, Sept. 19 2015
Good, reliable stevia brand. JUST stevia, no fillers or additives. Good stuff.

LinenTablecloth 60 x 126-Inch Rectangular Polyester Tablecloth Royal Blue
LinenTablecloth 60 x 126-Inch Rectangular Polyester Tablecloth Royal Blue
Offered by All Linen's
Price: CDN$ 26.30
3 used & new from CDN$ 26.30

5.0 out of 5 stars sturdy, and make great DIY hammocks, Sept. 19 2015
These are thick, sturdy, and make great DIY hammocks! Colors are a bit more muted in person, but still lovely. We have the royal blue, turquoise, and fuschia so far.

Sticker Encyclopedia: Animals
Sticker Encyclopedia: Animals
by DK Publishing
Price: CDN$ 13.00
38 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright, Hands On Fun, Sept. 19 2015
The Sticker Encyclopedia: Animals from DK Publishing divides 38 animal types into 6 major groupings: mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish, and invertebrates. Each animal type is given its own page with 4-5 specific species listed and described with a blank spot for the appropriate sticker. Primates, for example, are given South African galago, squirrel monkey, western gorilla, and ring-tailed lemur. Animals are briefly described and children find the correct stickers in the back of the book to complete each 'encyclopedia' page.

The encyclopedia portion of the book is 49 pages in length. 11 pages are biome centred pages where children can place animal stickers in the appropriate habitat. The remainder of the book includes the stickers for your child to remove and place. Over 600 stickers are included, larger ones for completion the encyclopedia (these are labelled for accurate placement of unfamiliar animals), habitat pages, and many smaller extra stickers that your child can use freely.

My oldest daughter filled out all of the pages on the sticker book, but rarely looked at it after completion. For her, the joy was in the doing. Reading the information, searching for the correct stickers and placing them in their homes. In fact, the many extra stickers weren't used for much here.

The book, while being a softcover, is quite sturdy. It has thick, semi-glossy pages, large, bright stickers, and interesting - if introductory - explanations and trivia.

With only a paragraph dedicated to each animal, this Sticker Encyclopedia doesn't provide a great deal of depth. It's fun, hands-on format does provide a fun introduction to many animals, their general classification, and appearances. It makes for a fun supplementary resource, travel book, or summer project for the animal loving child in 2nd grade.

I received a review copy of this title. All thoughts are my own.

Pippo the Fool
Pippo the Fool
by Tracy E. Fern
Price: CDN$ 15.95
26 used & new from CDN$ 11.24

4.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Tale, Sept. 15 2015
This review is from: Pippo the Fool (Hardcover)
Pippo the Fool is an inspirational tribute to the architect of the dome of Santa Maria del Fiore, Filippo Brunelleschi. Presented with an architectural conundrum, the city of Florence posed a contest to design the dome of a cathedral that had stood without one in the face of architectural complexities which seemed unsolvable.

With competing -- Lorenzo offering up his own design, Fern contrasts frippery, pride, and flattery with the humility, earnestness, and dedication. More than a tribute to the man himself, Pippo celebrates the essence of ingenuity and invention, even when others do not appreciate it (and at times mock it.)

Author Tracey E. Fern's text is paired with rich, earth-toned illustrations from Pau Estrada. The main characters are often drawn in a caricature-like style emphasizing the character traits developed in the story. The people of Florence are Renaissance extras, and the architecture of the great city is depicted with reverence. A note from both author and illustrator help provide additional details and historical context.

While a charming story and beautifully depicted, Pippo the Fool is something of a niche offering. It is a more involved picture book that may not capture younger readers for the length of it's telling. As such, I recommend it for independent readers rather than a read aloud for younger children. It is especially well suited as a literature supplement to studies of the Italian Renaissance (set in 1420) and architectural studies. A Junior Library Guild Selection, this title is a natural selection for larger children's libraries with the capacity for more specialized, in-depth titles.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20