summer boutiques-francophones vpcflyout All-New Kindle Pets Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry
Profile for JenniferB > Reviews

Content by JenniferB
Top Reviewer Ranking: 376

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

JenniferB "@ Quiverfullfamily.com" (Alberta, Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Traitor's Wife: A Novel
The Traitor's Wife: A Novel
by Kathleen Kent
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
10 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff for Fans, Oct. 1 2015
It must be terribly difficult to write a follow up novel to one as powerful as The Heretic's Daughter. What a task Kent set herself for all her future writing endeavours when she penned the unforgettable original.

Kent tackled the task with aplomb, creating a gritty love song of a prequel dedicated to exploring the characters of Martha and Thomas Carrier more fully. Rarely have I read such a realistic, unconventional, yet somehow satisfying courtship. (Readers may want to know that there is premarital intimacy.)

Filled with visceral descriptions, powerful characterization, and heady realism, this novel has much to offer devotees of the original who remain hungry for more of this stark, brutal, and somehow beautiful landscape.

I received an ARC. All thoughts are my own.

Bo's Cafe: A Novel
Bo's Cafe: A Novel
Offered by Hachette Book Group Digital, Inc.
Price: CDN$ 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, Sept. 27 2015
I've mentioned before that teaching fiction isn't exactly my favorite genre. It takes a terribly talented author to pull it off without it feeling preachy. Teaching fiction so often ends up being neither great fiction nor great teaching. This proves true with Bo's Cafe.

Bo's Cafe makes no bones about being a platform for the authors belief in relationship based Christianity. I've got no issues there - living a transparent life in Christ with others is a beautiful, freeing thing.

What does ring false for me though, are the conversations that take place between the two male main characters. Now...I'm a woman, so maybe men do talk to each other this way. I've never ever seen it, though. A mentor dedicated to one on one meetings that he spends using a strange form of Socratic, psycho-babble questioning? Honestly, this incessant dialogue was very annoying. It certainly seemed more like talk therapy than it does encouraging and exhorting one another from the Word of God.

The takeaway? Get friends, get real. I'm not sure I needed an entire novel filled with quasi-spiritual, self-helpish talk to get there. In any case, I won't be taking another trip to Bo's Cafe anytime soon.

I received a review copy. All thoughts are my own.

Owen Fiddler
Owen Fiddler
Price: CDN$ 6.51

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't Recommend, Sept. 27 2015
This review is from: Owen Fiddler (Kindle Edition)
This is a tricky review to write, since I have corresponded with the author and respect him and his journey. I also read and enjoyed Marvin Wilson's autobiographical work, I Romanced the Stone. Owen Fiddler is another matter however.

Owen Fiddler is a man in need of a saviour. Self-serving and degenerate (as we all are before knowing Christ), he enjoys crawling around in the muck and mire. Or he thinks he does in any case.

One of my main dislikes of this title are about how Wilson chose to portray that degeneracy. I believe there are ways to clearly depict those sorts of actions (which are unsurprising in and of themselves) without writing them as though there were a boom-boom-wah-wah soundtrack playing. I found the writing mood distasteful and 'icky'. Of course, Fiddler IS icky, but I would prefer reading about him without being IMMERSED in his ick.

The theological perspective is also a bit dicey. I won't go into details, but the perspective is more of a Christian spiritualism as opposed to a more orthodox set up.

I continue to respect Wilson as an individual, and as a non-fiction writer. This work was a miss for me though.

I received a review copy, all thoughts are my own.

Hot Chocolate with God: Just Me & Who God Created Me to Be
Hot Chocolate with God: Just Me & Who God Created Me to Be
by Camryn Kelly
Price: CDN$ 11.39
36 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Girly Delight, Sept. 26 2015
My Thoughts: From the moment my daughter (8) saw this book, she was SO excited! ”Wow, Mom, I think this book was actually written by these girls!!” We received a black and white ARC (review copy, all thoughts are my own), but the final copy must be even more spectacularly girly with all of the flowers and embellishments. This one is perfect for tweens.

Ghostwriter
Ghostwriter
Price: CDN$ 2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Scary, Sept. 26 2015
This review is from: Ghostwriter (Kindle Edition)
I've read a number of Thrasher's works, he spins tight, suspenseful tales. Ghostwriter, however, was gory, dark, and leaned dangerously towards spiritism (longing to communicate with the dead). Not my favorite work of his. Some scary stuff I can handle. This was a bit much - only buy this if you actually enjoy horror. I won't be keeping my copy.

This was a review copy. My opinions are fully my own.

Westcott Spring Assist Preschool Scissor (15483)
Westcott Spring Assist Preschool Scissor (15483)
Price: CDN$ 2.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Last, Sept. 19 2015
Only had this a few weeks before one of the blades popped off the plastic it was mounted on. Bad design.

Household Dinnerware Stainless Steel 4.9" Dia Heat-insulated Dinner Rice Bowl
Household Dinnerware Stainless Steel 4.9" Dia Heat-insulated Dinner Rice Bowl
Offered by discounttown
Price: CDN$ 4.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice, Sept. 19 2015
Nice insulated bowl, good size, dishwasher friendly. We plan to buy more.

Now Better Stevia - Zero Calorie Sweetener (Certified Organic) 1 lbs
Now Better Stevia - Zero Calorie Sweetener (Certified Organic) 1 lbs
Offered by Remedy Central
Price: CDN$ 91.32
7 used & new from CDN$ 74.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, Sept. 19 2015
Good, reliable stevia brand. JUST stevia, no fillers or additives. Good stuff.

LinenTablecloth 60 x 126-Inch Rectangular Polyester Tablecloth Royal Blue
LinenTablecloth 60 x 126-Inch Rectangular Polyester Tablecloth Royal Blue
Offered by All Linen's
Price: CDN$ 26.30
2 used & new from CDN$ 26.30

5.0 out of 5 stars sturdy, and make great DIY hammocks, Sept. 19 2015
These are thick, sturdy, and make great DIY hammocks! Colors are a bit more muted in person, but still lovely. We have the royal blue, turquoise, and fuschia so far.

Sticker Encyclopedia: Animals
Sticker Encyclopedia: Animals
by DK Publishing
Price: CDN$ 13.00
36 used & new from CDN$ 0.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright, Hands On Fun, Sept. 19 2015
The Sticker Encyclopedia: Animals from DK Publishing divides 38 animal types into 6 major groupings: mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish, and invertebrates. Each animal type is given its own page with 4-5 specific species listed and described with a blank spot for the appropriate sticker. Primates, for example, are given South African galago, squirrel monkey, western gorilla, and ring-tailed lemur. Animals are briefly described and children find the correct stickers in the back of the book to complete each 'encyclopedia' page.

The encyclopedia portion of the book is 49 pages in length. 11 pages are biome centred pages where children can place animal stickers in the appropriate habitat. The remainder of the book includes the stickers for your child to remove and place. Over 600 stickers are included, larger ones for completion the encyclopedia (these are labelled for accurate placement of unfamiliar animals), habitat pages, and many smaller extra stickers that your child can use freely.

My oldest daughter filled out all of the pages on the sticker book, but rarely looked at it after completion. For her, the joy was in the doing. Reading the information, searching for the correct stickers and placing them in their homes. In fact, the many extra stickers weren't used for much here.

The book, while being a softcover, is quite sturdy. It has thick, semi-glossy pages, large, bright stickers, and interesting - if introductory - explanations and trivia.

With only a paragraph dedicated to each animal, this Sticker Encyclopedia doesn't provide a great deal of depth. It's fun, hands-on format does provide a fun introduction to many animals, their general classification, and appearances. It makes for a fun supplementary resource, travel book, or summer project for the animal loving child in 2nd grade.

I received a review copy of this title. All thoughts are my own.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20