ARRAY(0xb2fe4390)

Profile for Heather Nickiforek > Reviews

Content by Heather Nickiforek

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Heather Nickiforek "Heather Nickiforek" (Vancouver, BC)

The Baby Sleep Solution: A Proven Program to Teach Your Baby to Sleep Twelve Hours aNight
by Suzy Giordano
Price: CDN$ 12.64
40 used & new from CDN$ 3.38

5.0 out of 5 stars The Baby Sleep Solution, Sept. 13 2009
This book is back to the basics, and it really works.

For the first 6 weeks of my daughter life we shared a bed and then shortly there after she happy moved to her crib and was a rather good sleeper. When she turned 3 months things changed, she started waking more frequently in the night crying and would only go back to sleep if I nursed her or brought her to bed. I soon became a human pacifier and was very tired, our quality of sleep was poor as we both were waking more often due to the constant snacking.

This started to affect her day time sleep as well, waking every 15 min during a nap and her total day time sleep was less then 2.5 hours. She was grumpy and miserable from her lack of sleep, our family bed situation was clearly not working. My friend suggested this book and while I waited for it in the mail I start on the first step of moving to the 4 hour feeding schedule. I was previously demand feeding and putting her to bed rather late. Just from moving her bed time earlier and feeding her less often we were seeing improvements already.

Once the book arrived I read it from front to back. This book is a VERY easy read, I finished it in 2 hours and it takes you through the process step by step. The only negative thing I found is the author has a bit of an old fashion view on the babies roll in the family and some "new aged" parents might find it harsh and insensitive. But if you can get past that and just do the work you will see that her basic principles and methods really do work. I was surprised and both pleased to see that even though the author is "old fashion" she does NOT use the cry it out method but instead a gentle limited cry solution that helped me feel comfortable with the process as it allowed me to support my baby as she learned to self soothe.

It the previous review it said that 12 hours a night is miss leading and I am here to tell you it's not. Our daughter is in bed at 7pm and sleeps until 7am and wakes for one feeding as we are still at the second step of eliminating all night feedings but besides that she is in her bed and sleeping 12 hours a night. I have to say the structured schedule and routine are what our child really thrive on and found comfort in. We tried other methods and this is the only one that has worked for us. Our daughter now sleeps 1 hour in the morning, 2 hours in the afternoon and 12 hours a night. And she always wakes from her sleeps in a rested, happy mood.