Profile for Cardiff > Reviews

Content by Cardiff

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Cardiff

The Memory Keeper's Daughter
The Memory Keeper's Daughter
by Kim Edwards
Price: CDN$ 12.27
392 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, March 19 2007
You'd think that just about every book on the bestseller list would be a great story with a great beginning, middle, and end. Not always the case. BUT, The Memory Keeper's Daughter IS one such book. I like to compare it to The Glass Castle in this respect, though that is a memoir.

The premise of the story is this: During a snowstorm in Kentucky, a doctor delivers his own twins. One is "normal" and one has Down Syndrome. He lies to his wife, telling her the one with DS has died. I don't want to give too much of the story away, but suffice it to say that things don't go smoothly for the doctor, his wife, the twins, or anyone else, making for one heck of a great story. I was reminded at times of Bark of the Dogwood with its dark moments, or perhaps even The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, though the books have totally different plots. Still, the pacing and writing reminded me of these novels.

Frankly I wasn't able to put this book down. If you want a good story, easy to read, and something you can recommmend to others, this is the book.

Lullabies For Little Criminals: A Novel
Lullabies For Little Criminals: A Novel
by Heather O'Neill
Price: CDN$ 12.64
63 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I see now, March 19 2007
The cover of this book is somewhat deception, in my opinion. I was thinking, "Okay, simple story, etc." but no, it's much more. No wonder it's been compared to a books such as "The Glass Castle" and "Bark of the Dogwood" with their similar themes and hardships on kids growing up. The real difference is that "Lullabies" takes place over a single year. Baby is the main character in this hard-to-put-down novel, and we see events through her eyes. Her father is a heroin addict--need I say more? There are scenes that reminded me of Frey's "A Million Little pieces" though the books couldn't be farther apart thematically. I'm talking about the detox scenes, etc. Some scenes in this book will be hard, really hard to take, as they're graphic and heart-wrenching. The voice of Baby is somewhat unusual, sounding as someone has already said, a bit like Holden Caufield--she's a spirited youth with brains to back it up and this alone is probably the reason she survived. Often, when I think of Montreal, I don't think of it in these terms, the way the author has painted this portrait of sides and places I don't see. I was a real eye-opener and for that I'm grateful. I'm also grateful for an excellent story. Would also recommend the novel "Night."