Profile for BettieLuv > Reviews

Content by BettieLuv

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

BettieLuv "Bettie_Luv" (Toronto, Canada)

Quicken Cash Manager 2011 [Old Version]
Quicken Cash Manager 2011 [Old Version]

4.0 out of 5 stars Works beautifully for me, April 13 2011
I can't imagine what the previous 1-star reviewer was trying to do or was expecting. I had upgraded to Cash Manager 2011 from a version that was several years old. When this latest version imported the data from my previous one, it not only did so flawlessly, it very intelligently reapplied the Business Expense categories from the defunct T2124 form to the newer T2125. It did so without error. I did't need to make any manual adjustments. The rest of the program continues to work effectively and efficiently as, in my experience, all previous versions have. My cash management needs, incidentally, are not simple. I have multiple credit cards, debit cards, bank accounts and cash accounts together with a need to track tax-eligible expenses for my small paying-hobby business. It does the job and does it well. Such frills as I don't need, such as charts and graphs, don't intrude and one of these days might be useful. I enjoy using this time-saving program. In fact, I now wonder how I ever managed without it.

Picture Yourself Learning Corel Paint Shop Pro X2
Picture Yourself Learning Corel Paint Shop Pro X2
by Diane Koers
Price: CDN$ 20.05
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.78

5.0 out of 5 stars A Remarkably Good Book, Nov. 17 2009
I have only just received this book and have done no more than sample it. However, already I could not be more pleased with it. Having been using Paint Shop Pro for many years, I had a nagging feeling that I should be able to do more. For example, I was using layers, but only by trial and error, or by instinct. I felt that perhaps I wasn't uncovering all of PSP's potential. Also, Mask Layers were a mystery to me but I seemed to be managing without them by selective copying and pasting.
Recently, I obtained a set of textures. At the same time I saw some wonderful work by other photographers that used textures creatively. Technically, I was unable to unlock the effects as well as they could. (Artistically, I might or might not be their equal.) I was playing with the idea of buying Photoshop Elements while saving for Photoshop proper, but then happened to read a review of each of those products. Photoshop CS4 is, of course, superb, but very expensive. The review of Photoshop Elements 8 actually referred to PaintShop Pro Photo X2 and came out favourably on the side of PSP X2.
So, I bought this book to see what I was missing. I already see that I was using much but also overlooking much. PSP X2 is so rich in features that I'm now inclined to forgive the cussedness of the way in which its program is coded and the annoying nature of its management and support.
This book is superbly illustrated, the subects are described clearly and the instructions are supported by easy to understand step-by-step exercises so that one can read, see and do. The book also includes what looks like a very good chapter on digital scrapbooking but I will read that later, scrapbooking not being my thing (yet). And yes, how to do 3-D images really is described, and (LOL) it works, - in an amusing way which I will imitate.
Not only have the mysteries, features and techniques of layers been uncovered for me by this book but it has also revealed characteristics of basic controls that I hadn't noticed. I am so enthralled and refreshed that I'm going to swallow any pride of years-of-use and start from the beginning, with all the humility of a beginner, and work through the book from start to end. I know that I will learn from each and every chapter.
If you have PaintShop Pro Photo X2, I urge you to buy this book. It's better than any manual that could have come with the software. It's both informative and entertaining and will lead you to enjoy PSP X2 to the fullest.

(Oh, and I forgot to mention, the CD that comes with the book contains lots of useful, creative and entertaining little goodies.)

How To Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food
How To Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food
by Mark Bittman
28 used & new from CDN$ 1.07

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends on what is meant by "everything"., March 12 2002
God bless America, I love you. But this book has a viewpoint that presumes "everything" is "America". That's annoyingly narrow minded. Mainly, though, it's inconvenient.
More worldly books have the old-fashioned "spoon and cup" measuring system down one side of the ingredient list and the metric measures down the other side. This book has only the old spoon and cup system. It does make grudging acknowledgment of an international market by including a few, not very good, conversion tables on the end papers.
Also, the contents seem very "American", notwithstanding the "foreign names" of the recipes.
For example, the ingredient nomenclature is defiantly American. No international alternatives in brackets in this book. You get eggplants and zucchinis and lump it. No aubergines or courgettes.
I was hoping that "everything" would include some of the plain cooking that I'd experienced in Europe, UK, the West Indies, the Near and Middle East and the Indian subcontinent. And the Southern States of the USA.
There are interpretations of some of the dishes, but they are such as might be served in a shopping mall in Buffalo.
On the bright side, the index is intelligently organised.
Also, I have been able to adapt many of the recipes, often by reducing the sweetness drastically, or by making allowances for the probability that the rice quantities and times are based on it having been bought in a colourful box at a supermarket. That kind of thing.
It is excellent if you're a middle class, suburban American living and cooking in middle class, American suburbia.
Otherwise, it requires interprtation.
At least it did teach me that I've been pricking the shells of my eggs at the wrong end all these years. For that, thanks.