countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools
Profile for BettieLuv > Reviews

Content by BettieLuv

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

BettieLuv "Bettie_Luv" (Toronto, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
Squawk 7700
Squawk 7700
Price: CDN$ 4.78

3.0 out of 5 stars Persevere - It IS Worth Reading, Feb. 29 2016
This review is from: Squawk 7700 (Kindle Edition)
The author's writing style was very difficult for me to read, perhaps because of regional and cultural differences. I'm a well-travelled city kid; the author is not. I nearly gave up at about one-third way through. However, I persevered stubbornly. It took patience but I am glad that I hung on to the end. There were some excellent flying sequences and the theme was an education in the history of a certain part of commercial aviation history of which I had been unaware. The biographical story was also a lesson in self-acceptance, and a courageous one for the author to tell so openly.

Creative Haven Steampunk Fashions Coloring Book
Creative Haven Steampunk Fashions Coloring Book
by Marty Noble
Price: CDN$ 8.00
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pictures. Intelligent book construction., Jan. 23 2016
I'm thrilled with the quality of this book, particularly for its modest price. The designs are delightful and what excites me is that each page is one-sided, blank on the back, and finely perforated so that the picture can be removed to be worked on a surface outside the book.

Emergency: Crisis on the Flight Deck
Emergency: Crisis on the Flight Deck
Price: CDN$ 9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Well Written and Totally Involving, Jan. 13 2016
Even though the events have been included in other books and TV programs, I still gave this book a 5-star rating.

I am not a pilot, simply a civil aviation avgeek whose time until a few years ago was almost fanatically absorbed in using Microsoft Flight Simulator and watching Just Planes videos. This in addition to getting close to real aircraft, inside and outside, moving and stationary, at every opportunity all my life since infancy.

So the excellent way in which Mr. Stewart wrote this book completely absorbed me and took me onto the flight deck with a sense of realism and actuality as if I was one of the crew. The immediacy and detail was such that I was completely technically, visually, aurally, aeronautically and emotionally involved even though I knew from other sources the causes and ultimate outcome.

I also appreciate the way in which Mr. Stewart expressed opinion about actual people involved in a consistently appreciative and positive way.

Secret New York: Color Your Way to Calm
Secret New York: Color Your Way to Calm
by Zoe de Las Cases
Price: CDN$ 11.57
30 used & new from CDN$ 2.51

3.0 out of 5 stars Tight Binding and Not Very Today's NYC, Dec 18 2015
Disappointing. I often explore New York and, of course, love it but . . . This book was bound too thick and tight for a coloring book and annoyingly unnecessarily so. It was impossible to color many of the pictures to the spine-side edge and that was very irritating, specially for a 2-page panorama, because it showed thoughtlessness by the editor/publisher. In fact after a while I damaged the book trying to press and break the spine to make the pages looser. I had to throw it away. If the binding stayed the same but the pictures had been given a spine-side blank gutter it would have been okay (except for the panorama). That said, the pictures were quite intriguing and interesting to color (I used blending to make some grunge) and I enjoyed that they were not conventional tourist subjects. They reflected personal experience. However very many of them were more appropriate to 1960s Milwaukee (or wherever) than life in present day New York City.

Mr Midshipman Easy (Classics of Naval Fiction)
Mr Midshipman Easy (Classics of Naval Fiction)
Price: CDN$ 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank You, Captain Marryat, Nov. 27 2015
Way back in 1949, when I was 5 years old, I would hide from the domestic violence at home by squeezing into a crevice beside an armchair. Facing me when I wriggled round towards the wall was a little shelf on which was a textbook about the Hindi language and a library book entitled "Mr. Midshipman Easy". So, to run away a little further in my mind, I picked them up and read them.

The Hindi textbook was entertaining to me because of the writing which, as I recall now 67 years later, was somehow all like hooks suspended from overhead lines.

As for Mr. Midshipman Easy, it was the first book that I actually read. Not in sequence; just pages at random and sentences at random.

But in my daily secluded states of terror, it conveyed meaning after a while except for the long words. Two syllables were alright but three were a bit much and my brain's voice mispronounced them. And of course adult life concepts and humour passed me by. Of course, when I went to school I could already read and I was sent out to play when there were reading classes.

I hadn't touched or seen the book since then and I don't know what happened to it because we never had a proper home or possessions. It just disappeared like everything else did from time to time.

Now, at last, I'm happy and secure and decided to read it properly as a grown-up.

When I started to do so, I was a bit afraid that it might trigger traumatic recall. In fact, though, it had exactly the opposite effect. I was delighted by the simple story that it told and by the way in which it did so.

It is like sitting with a retired sea captain from 200 years ago while he told a good old=fashioned yarn with lots of salty sea stuff and battles and adventures ("scrapes") and insights into social and class attitudes of his section of history.

Now being an adult, sort of, I could appreciate the particular joy of reading a book that was written by a man who had lived the life he was describing and was contemporary to that time.

My thanks to Captain Marryatt for the refuge when I was a frightened little boy and for providing an entertaining tale for me now that I am a retired old lady.

Resident Aliens: Life in the Christian Colony (Expanded 25th Anniversary Edition)
Price: CDN$ 20.19

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't communicate a universal Church, Nov. 6 2015
I read this book and write this review as an ordinary churchgoer, a simple member of the laity.

I was christened / baptised in the Church of ENGLAND, catechised and confirmed in the Church of ROME and am now a registered parishioner at a church of the Anglican Church of CANADA.

I only read the first half of the book and then considered that to continue would be a waste of time. The book is written in tangled multi-syllabic academic language unsuited for communication to any at-large audience whether that audience be Christian or not, clergy or not, in the pews or in the street.

Moreover, the author addresses Christianity as if it was significantly present to his subject only in Protestant USA. The influence and relevance of The Vatican should, for his subject, have been shown to be hugely present and significant to his argument as also should Christianity as it is related to social activism and civil rules and pressures in South and Central America, the Islamic areas of South East Asia, the emerged politics of the former USSR, the moral forces of African governments and the materialist pressures of China.

Catholicism in the Philippines and how that fills pews in North America arguably under three flags (Vatican, Philippines, resident nation) in which to be alien by the authors' definitions and how that might or might not control the courage or timidity of decisions implemented by a worldwide Catholic hierarchy that expects obedience was nowhere on the author's horizon when I gave up reading the book half-way through.

There was no indication that the book would address the multiples of 'alienation' that my formal Church-given versions of Christianity either represent or provide opportunities for. Each of them literally flies the flags of nations both inside and outside the nave and two of them fly two flags because they have a foreign head, one a monarch and the other a pope, in addition to the national flag of residency and secular citizenship. Only the Church of England flies only one flag because it is the national established Church. In each of my churches, the head of the church is also the head of state and in one of them the state exists only for that reason.

If this book addressed in any specifics how any church-going Christian or any significant denomination of Church can become 'resident alien' in that situation, which is not unusual in the modern world, then it was not evident by the time that I'd read half of it. I started the book fascinated to find out, but I was disappointed.

So halfway through the book, I gave up. The book is irrelevant. There is one God, one Jesus. In fact, one Christianity. I attend church as one Christian united within the one Mystical Body of Christ.

Manga Studio 5 Beginner's Guide
Manga Studio 5 Beginner's Guide
by Michael Rhodes
21 used & new from CDN$ 33.74

1.0 out of 5 stars Be Aware of Deficiencies, Oct. 24 2015
Having paid a significant price for the paperback edition of this book, I learned that:

- a chapter of the book isn't in the book; it's only available online.

- the illustrations were so poorly drawn, texted and printed that they are difficult to see and decipher clearly while using the book for the exercises in the book.

- to compensate for their own knowledge of the inadequacy of the illustrations, an inadequacy admitted by the author in the book, the publisher supplements the book with a downloadable PDF file 192 pages big. So in theory I now also have to pay for the paper and ink to print that?

- Often the illustrations don't match what I see on the screen when I'm using the book. For example, the Register a New Document button in the book is a texted button but on my screen I discover with frustration and difficulty that the function was served by a small diskette icon.

- the instructions are incomplete. The author leads us to making our first New Document and invites us to play. For me nothing happens until I experiment in a state of irritation and finally discover for myself that first I need to add a layer on which to draw.

Maybe the author is referring to a version earlier that Manga Studio 5 or maybe his Mac version looks different from my Windows version. If so, Packt Publishing should not take our money without providing for that.

I will however concede that I'm enjoying using the book but that's because I am learning about Mange Studio 5 by debugging this book's errors and omissions and I like solving puzzles. Its inadequacies are an entertainment since, being retired, I have time on my hands.

Having had the joy of learning from excellent books such as Scott Kelby's series for Photoshop applications, I find myself feeling contemptuous of the relatively amateurish, uncaring, unprofessional quality of this book. I cannot recommend it. It's as if they took my money in breach of contract relative to what they provide in it.

DEWALT DC725KA 18-Volt Cordless Compact Hammer Drill/Driver
DEWALT DC725KA 18-Volt Cordless Compact Hammer Drill/Driver
Price: CDN$ 245.99
5 used & new from CDN$ 245.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't have done without it, Oct. 4 2015
I'm a lady in her seventies who dared to renovate her apartment all by herself. I bought this drill thinking it might be useful. In fact it has been indispensable. I love it. It does the job it was designed for and is easy to use. Powerful enough, versatile and well balanced even for the hands and arms of an aging lady. And my apartment is beginning to look gorgeous. :)

Manga for the Beginner: Everything you Need to Start Drawing Right Away!
Manga for the Beginner: Everything you Need to Start Drawing Right Away!
by Christopher Hart
Price: CDN$ 18.46
55 used & new from CDN$ 6.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Given me a new hobby, Oct. 4 2015
A bit over-produced and pricy for the simple contents BUT the quality of the contents is good. It's well presented. In fact in has started me on a new hobby of drawing Manga just for fun. Thank you Mr. Hart.

Secret Garden: An Inky Treasure Hunt and Coloring Book
Secret Garden: An Inky Treasure Hunt and Coloring Book
by Johanna Basford
Price: CDN$ 13.37
91 used & new from CDN$ 4.84

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware!, Oct. 4 2015
BEWARE! - Only use dry media. The paper is too porous for wet media like ink or felt pen. Also, unfortunately, the paper doesn't have quite enough tooth for me for colour pencils. I'm having quite good fun with CarbOthello pastel pencils. However, even then I've had to break the binding of the book. It is far to tightly bound to lie flat enough or for any colouring to approach the book's spine comfortably.

Page: 1 | 2