Profile for Ding-Wen Chen > Reviews

Content by Ding-Wen Chen

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Ding-Wen Chen (Burnaby, BC Canada)

Transcending CSS: The Fine Art of Web Design
Transcending CSS: The Fine Art of Web Design
by Andy Clarke
Price: CDN$ 36.53
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book helps people understand how HTML and CSS should Structured, Jan. 13 2010
At beginning I have to say that I didn't care about the CSS and HTML examples in this book. I bought this book for the concepts of how to construct the HTML and apply the CSS that are logical and reusable.

Many of my co-workers who are graphic designers have great difficulty to understand the native characteristics of each HTML tags. Thus, I often see a div tag used as h1~h3 tags. div tags used as ul and li tags. After I introduce this book to my co-workers, they can "visually" see how the HTML and CSS should be used. Which and what tags, attributes and styles should be used.

Great book in presenting the theories and logic of HTML and CSS. Not a book in providing CSS hacks and tips.

Using Drupal
Using Drupal
by Angela Byron
37 used & new from CDN$ 0.27

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Beginners, Aug. 27 2009
This review is from: Using Drupal (Paperback)
First of all, I need to let everyone know that I am not an English speaker. Therefore, this book is easy to read for me but may not for some other people.

The book has the same style as other O'Reilly books. Using Drupal has very clear target readers, specific examples in each chapter which serves a specific purpose, and clear language for me.

Only two areas need to improve are images/figures and example code from the official site. The images/figures are not always clear or easy to follow due to the grey-scale print. The example code is not updated with the latest Drupal 6.x stable version.

If I can give a half star, I will give this book a 4.5 star. A Must own.