Profile for Adam > Reviews

Content by Adam
Top Reviewer Ranking: 264

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Adam (Saskatoon, SK)

by Pearl P. Barrett
Price: CDN$ 39.96
18 used & new from CDN$ 35.43

3.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., Oct. 15 2014
This review is from: Trim Healthy Mama (Paperback)
It is painfully obvious that the authors never intended for a man to read their book... but this aside, the principles described are intriguing. The recipes are interesting.
The book describes a diet plan designed to give a person freedom to eat fat which has been demonized for far too long. As such, this is much more of a diet book than a cook book. So keep this in mind when you consider this book. The principles have the potential to lose weight, although it is quite daunting to begin this process. This is because the biggest downfall to the plan are the specialized ingredients. They will go on and on about glucomannan powder and how incredible it is and useful for all sorts of things and it is featured in many of their "yummy" recipes. However, you must purchase it online. They also strongly recommend a steady diet of Salmon... which can be quite expensive. You won't be eating a lot of bread... in fact the only bread they recommend are either special and expensive breads not readily available in all regions, or their own recipes which are glorified pancakes.
I give it a thumbs up, but a hesitant one because of the specialized ingredients and the expense behind some of the other more ordinary ones.

RINGKE DELIGHT® Moto G Flip Case with FREE Ultimate Clear Plus Screen Protector [NAVY] Best Selling Premium PU Saffiano Leather Standing View Diary Case Cover ID / Card Slot Flip Cover Wallet Case for Google Motorola Moto G
Offered by Rearth CA
Price: CDN$ 36.99

3.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., Oct. 15 2014
A nice phone cover/case for an affordable phone. It's durable, protects my phone and can even hold a card or two plus some cash. The slot that lets you see the indicator LED on the screen is a bit too narrow to properly see the light, but this is a very minor.

Asus R9270X-DC2T-2GD5 Graphics Cards R9270X-DC2T-2GD5
Asus R9270X-DC2T-2GD5 Graphics Cards R9270X-DC2T-2GD5
Offered by Canada Computers & Electronics
Price: CDN$ 234.00
22 used & new from CDN$ 231.98

4.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., Oct. 15 2014
Great graphics card for the budget minded gamer! I've had it the better part of a year and it runs everything fabulously.

Ooma Telo (Discontinued by Manufacturer) - Free Home Phone Service (VoIP) - Canadian Version

3.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., June 3 2014
Pretty good... but I don't know if I regret it yet.

I've had the Ooma Telo for a few months now and I'm generally happy with it. Other than the initial cost of the device, the monthly fees are definitely saving me a bunch of money on my phone bill.

With regards to how well it works, it's alright. The call quality sounds good, but there is a very noticeable delay when you are trying to talk with someone else. Some times I notice this more than others, but it is pretty much always there and it can make conversations slightly annoying.

There was a bit of a blip in porting my landline number over to the Ooma. We went through the porting process (which takes a couple of weeks by the way) and had the number on our device. However, we were never able to set it up as our main number until our "Premier" trial ended and they cancelled the second number... which happened to be the number we paid to port over. You would figure they would make the ported number the main number. But anyways, it was resolved fairly quickly through their online help and we now have our old number as our main number. I guess the moral of the story is that if you have problems with the device, don't be shy of going to their website for help as they are very helpful.

If I had it to do over again, would I do everything the same? No. I would probably get the device, but I wouldn't have cancelled my main land line. Instead, I would have dropped the overpriced long distance plan and used the Ooma exclusively as a long distance phone... and maybe a secondary line, and kept the main land line as our main everyday local use phone.

Star Wars: The Wrath of Darth Maul
Star Wars: The Wrath of Darth Maul
by Ryder Windham
Price: CDN$ 13.71
19 used & new from CDN$ 10.09

4.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., March 4 2014
A surprisingly well written story!!!

When I found this book on sale at my son's school book sale, I picked it up because I am an avid fan of Star Wars novels. Thinking it would be a kids book, I didn't have super high expectations. However, now that I am reading it, it is surprisingly well written!
The story tells the tale of Darth Maul and follows in detail his upbringing as a Sith Apprentice. You see the brutality of Darth Sidious's training regimen, the equally brutal Darth Maul rising to each challenge. And you are fully engaged the whole time. You will want to keep turning the pages as you step into this book. It belongs in the Star Wars Expanded Universe canon.

I give this a hearty thumbs up!

Just Dance 2014 Bilingual - Wii U
Just Dance 2014 Bilingual - Wii U
Offered by Digitalville CA
Price: CDN$ 19.99
6 used & new from CDN$ 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., Feb. 28 2014
A lot of fun and a great work out at the same time!

This is another installment in the Just Dance line up of games. Don't expect much different from previous versions, except new songs of course.
There are several modes to each song. In a nut shell, you can do it the regular way, the exercise version, or even compete against others over the internet.

The songs are what you would expect, many popular favorites spanning time and cultures... even a movie sound track or two! However, buyers need to be aware that some of the songs have suggestive content as well as some mild profanity. There are several songs we don't exactly want our kids to be listening to as we play this game.

It is a very good game, and great for parties as up to 4 people can play simultaneously, even following different avatars for what amounts to doing a well choreographed group dance!

If you like Just Dance, then this is a great game! I still say that Just Dance has killed DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) and with volumes like this, it has pretty much replaced it through and through.

Scoundrels: Star Wars (Star Wars - Legends)
Scoundrels: Star Wars (Star Wars - Legends)
Offered by Random House Canada, Incorp.
Price: CDN$ 8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., Jan. 22 2014
An exciting page turner of an adventure staring some favorite Star Wars Characters... and sets the tone for what happens in Empire Strikes Back.

This book is set between Star Wars Episode 4 and 5 (A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back) and stars our smuggling favorites Han Solo, Chewbacca and Lando Calrisian, as well as an assortment of other underhanded criminals hired to perform a heist (like the Italian Job) by a mysterious benefactor. There are no jedi, there is very little reference to the rebellion, and other familiar characters from the Expanded Universe are not in great abundance (there are a few, but mostly these are new characters so far as I know).

As the story progresses, you get a good feel for each stage of the heist and the work that goes into it. You see the competing factions at play... namely our rag tag band of thieves, the Black Sun organization and even the Empire. There are a few elements to the story that will keep you guessing, but nothing overwhelming. Even the big reveal at the end of who the "benefactor" was that hired the crew kind of leaves you wondering why Zahn didn't focus on him more.

Overall, I think this is a good book, but not Zahn's greatest contribution to the Star Wars Universe. As this is set in an already established timeline, it is difficult to create new story with out stepping on the toes of what has already been established. Zahn does a decent job of balancing out these factors. And it does kind of give a hint at the tension between Han and Lando that was introduced in Empire Strikes Back. As such, I do give this book a thumbs up and recommend you pick up a copy. Zahn still proves that he is one of the best authors currently writing for the Star Wars Universe.

Into the Void: Star Wars (Dawn of the Jedi) (Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi - Legends)
Offered by Random House Canada, Incorp.
Price: CDN$ 8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., Jan. 22 2014
A Cross Over Book Designed to introduce comic book readers to the novels... or a book designed to introduce novel readers to the comic books... you decide.

Tim Lebbon has done a great job of introducing us to a new era in the Star Wars Expanded Universe... namely the beginning of the Jedi. However, the comics have been doing this already and thus this book is designed for readers to cross from comics to the novels or from the novels to the comics.

We've seen this format before with the Knight Errant book and thus I have little hope that the story lines introduced in this novel with continue in the novel format.

The story itself follows a young Je'daii (they aren't even Jedi yet) Lanoree on her adventure of finding her brother who she thought to have died. The story is written with two different timelines intertwining. What I mean by that is that each chapter passes back and forth between the events leading up to her brother's supposed death and the current day search for her brother.

I think the story line is solid enough and the pacing is quite enjoyable. I just hope that they deem this era worthy of continuing the novels and not just the comics. Also, you don't really need to know what has been going on in the comics to enjoy what happens in this novel. It really is a well crafted cross-over book.

The Unseemly Education of Anne Merchant: Book One of the V Trilogy
The Unseemly Education of Anne Merchant: Book One of the V Trilogy
Price: CDN$ 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., Jan. 22 2014
Vivid and mystifying!

From the opening pages until the very end, Joanna has a way with words that immerses you into the story. While the level of detail boarders on too much at times, it really paints the full picture of what is happening at the school in which Anne Merchant finds herself.

The story line itself is quite mysterious. From the get-go, you know that something is off about this super private school and you keep guessing throughout. And even when the big reveal happens and you finally have the "aha" moment, new twists keep you guessing as to even further and deeper mysteries. This is the first of a series and will hook you into the story so that you want to know what happens next.

As for the content of the book, it is geared towards teenage girls. There is some mild language throughout the book, with the exception of one chapter (more specifically a paragraph or two) where the language gets much harsher. If this were a movie, the one section alone would warrant an R rating for the entire book. There are moments where the vivid pictures that are painted through Joanna's writing style get a little too graphic and sexual, but considering this private school is an art school (sort of), it kind of fits with the setting.

As a first attempt at writing teen fiction, I think Joanna has done a wonderful job and I can't wait until the next part of the story hits the shelves!

Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi Volume 1 Force Storm (Star Wars : Dawn of the Jedi)
Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi Volume 1 Force Storm (Star Wars : Dawn of the Jedi)
Price: CDN$ 5.39

3.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., July 17 2013
A great comic book that dives into the very origins of the Jedi.

This is an amazing piece. The artwork is great, the story is compelling and keeps you turning the pages. However, I am not entirely sold on the notion of comics for a kindle device. The download was immense compared to standard books and took a great deal of time compared to the blink it takes for a solid text book. Also, the art and the flow of how you read the comic book are translated to the kindle well, but it takes some getting used to. You get an overview of the page and then it focuses in on the text.
I am unsure whether I will purchase another comic for my kindle, but I will definitely purchase another paper comic book such as this!!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9