Profile for Adam > Reviews

Content by Adam
Top Reviewer Ranking: 236

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Adam (Saskatoon, SK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Ooma Telo (Discontinued by Manufacturer) - Free Home Phone Service (VoIP) - Canadian Version
Offered by Sale away
Price: CDN$ 187.46

3.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., June 3 2014
Pretty good... but I don't know if I regret it yet.

I've had the Ooma Telo for a few months now and I'm generally happy with it. Other than the initial cost of the device, the monthly fees are definitely saving me a bunch of money on my phone bill.

With regards to how well it works, it's alright. The call quality sounds good, but there is a very noticeable delay when you are trying to talk with someone else. Some times I notice this more than others, but it is pretty much always there and it can make conversations slightly annoying.

There was a bit of a blip in porting my landline number over to the Ooma. We went through the porting process (which takes a couple of weeks by the way) and had the number on our device. However, we were never able to set it up as our main number until our "Premier" trial ended and they cancelled the second number... which happened to be the number we paid to port over. You would figure they would make the ported number the main number. But anyways, it was resolved fairly quickly through their online help and we now have our old number as our main number. I guess the moral of the story is that if you have problems with the device, don't be shy of going to their website for help as they are very helpful.

If I had it to do over again, would I do everything the same? No. I would probably get the device, but I wouldn't have cancelled my main land line. Instead, I would have dropped the overpriced long distance plan and used the Ooma exclusively as a long distance phone... and maybe a secondary line, and kept the main land line as our main everyday local use phone.

Star Wars: The Wrath of Darth Maul
Star Wars: The Wrath of Darth Maul
by Ryder Windham
Price: CDN$ 13.71
36 used & new from CDN$ 1.92

4.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., March 4 2014
A surprisingly well written story!!!

When I found this book on sale at my son's school book sale, I picked it up because I am an avid fan of Star Wars novels. Thinking it would be a kids book, I didn't have super high expectations. However, now that I am reading it, it is surprisingly well written!
The story tells the tale of Darth Maul and follows in detail his upbringing as a Sith Apprentice. You see the brutality of Darth Sidious's training regimen, the equally brutal Darth Maul rising to each challenge. And you are fully engaged the whole time. You will want to keep turning the pages as you step into this book. It belongs in the Star Wars Expanded Universe canon.

I give this a hearty thumbs up!

Just Dance 2014 Bilingual - Wii U
Just Dance 2014 Bilingual - Wii U
Offered by Wulf Electronics
Price: CDN$ 34.48
11 used & new from CDN$ 29.49

4.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., Feb. 28 2014
A lot of fun and a great work out at the same time!

This is another installment in the Just Dance line up of games. Don't expect much different from previous versions, except new songs of course.
There are several modes to each song. In a nut shell, you can do it the regular way, the exercise version, or even compete against others over the internet.

The songs are what you would expect, many popular favorites spanning time and cultures... even a movie sound track or two! However, buyers need to be aware that some of the songs have suggestive content as well as some mild profanity. There are several songs we don't exactly want our kids to be listening to as we play this game.

It is a very good game, and great for parties as up to 4 people can play simultaneously, even following different avatars for what amounts to doing a well choreographed group dance!

If you like Just Dance, then this is a great game! I still say that Just Dance has killed DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) and with volumes like this, it has pretty much replaced it through and through.

Scoundrels: Star Wars (Star Wars - Legends)
Scoundrels: Star Wars (Star Wars - Legends)
Offered by Random House Canada, Incorp.
Price: CDN$ 8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., Jan. 22 2014
An exciting page turner of an adventure staring some favorite Star Wars Characters... and sets the tone for what happens in Empire Strikes Back.

This book is set between Star Wars Episode 4 and 5 (A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back) and stars our smuggling favorites Han Solo, Chewbacca and Lando Calrisian, as well as an assortment of other underhanded criminals hired to perform a heist (like the Italian Job) by a mysterious benefactor. There are no jedi, there is very little reference to the rebellion, and other familiar characters from the Expanded Universe are not in great abundance (there are a few, but mostly these are new characters so far as I know).

As the story progresses, you get a good feel for each stage of the heist and the work that goes into it. You see the competing factions at play... namely our rag tag band of thieves, the Black Sun organization and even the Empire. There are a few elements to the story that will keep you guessing, but nothing overwhelming. Even the big reveal at the end of who the "benefactor" was that hired the crew kind of leaves you wondering why Zahn didn't focus on him more.

Overall, I think this is a good book, but not Zahn's greatest contribution to the Star Wars Universe. As this is set in an already established timeline, it is difficult to create new story with out stepping on the toes of what has already been established. Zahn does a decent job of balancing out these factors. And it does kind of give a hint at the tension between Han and Lando that was introduced in Empire Strikes Back. As such, I do give this book a thumbs up and recommend you pick up a copy. Zahn still proves that he is one of the best authors currently writing for the Star Wars Universe.

Into the Void: Star Wars (Dawn of the Jedi) (Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi - Legends)
Offered by Random House Canada, Incorp.
Price: CDN$ 8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., Jan. 22 2014
A Cross Over Book Designed to introduce comic book readers to the novels... or a book designed to introduce novel readers to the comic books... you decide.

Tim Lebbon has done a great job of introducing us to a new era in the Star Wars Expanded Universe... namely the beginning of the Jedi. However, the comics have been doing this already and thus this book is designed for readers to cross from comics to the novels or from the novels to the comics.

We've seen this format before with the Knight Errant book and thus I have little hope that the story lines introduced in this novel with continue in the novel format.

The story itself follows a young Je'daii (they aren't even Jedi yet) Lanoree on her adventure of finding her brother who she thought to have died. The story is written with two different timelines intertwining. What I mean by that is that each chapter passes back and forth between the events leading up to her brother's supposed death and the current day search for her brother.

I think the story line is solid enough and the pacing is quite enjoyable. I just hope that they deem this era worthy of continuing the novels and not just the comics. Also, you don't really need to know what has been going on in the comics to enjoy what happens in this novel. It really is a well crafted cross-over book.

The Unseemly Education of Anne Merchant: Book One of the V Trilogy
The Unseemly Education of Anne Merchant: Book One of the V Trilogy
Price: CDN$ 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., Jan. 22 2014
Vivid and mystifying!

From the opening pages until the very end, Joanna has a way with words that immerses you into the story. While the level of detail boarders on too much at times, it really paints the full picture of what is happening at the school in which Anne Merchant finds herself.

The story line itself is quite mysterious. From the get-go, you know that something is off about this super private school and you keep guessing throughout. And even when the big reveal happens and you finally have the "aha" moment, new twists keep you guessing as to even further and deeper mysteries. This is the first of a series and will hook you into the story so that you want to know what happens next.

As for the content of the book, it is geared towards teenage girls. There is some mild language throughout the book, with the exception of one chapter (more specifically a paragraph or two) where the language gets much harsher. If this were a movie, the one section alone would warrant an R rating for the entire book. There are moments where the vivid pictures that are painted through Joanna's writing style get a little too graphic and sexual, but considering this private school is an art school (sort of), it kind of fits with the setting.

As a first attempt at writing teen fiction, I think Joanna has done a wonderful job and I can't wait until the next part of the story hits the shelves!

Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi Volume 1 Force Storm (Star Wars : Dawn of the Jedi)
Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi Volume 1 Force Storm (Star Wars : Dawn of the Jedi)
Price: CDN$ 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., July 17 2013
A great comic book that dives into the very origins of the Jedi.

This is an amazing piece. The artwork is great, the story is compelling and keeps you turning the pages. However, I am not entirely sold on the notion of comics for a kindle device. The download was immense compared to standard books and took a great deal of time compared to the blink it takes for a solid text book. Also, the art and the flow of how you read the comic book are translated to the kindle well, but it takes some getting used to. You get an overview of the page and then it focuses in on the text.
I am unsure whether I will purchase another comic for my kindle, but I will definitely purchase another paper comic book such as this!!!

Breville BRE800ESXL "Duo-Temp"  Commercial 15-Bar Triple Priming Die Cast Espresso Machine
Breville BRE800ESXL "Duo-Temp" Commercial 15-Bar Triple Priming Die Cast Espresso Machine
Price: CDN$ 295.99
6 used & new from CDN$ 295.99

4.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., April 25 2013
I absolutely love this machine!!!

I was used to making espresso with a much cheaper and smaller machine. I've had this new machine for one day and I am instantly making better beverages. It will take some getting used to. I am no barista, but I was able to get it figured out in about an hour and a half.

The machine comes with pretty much everything you need to make a fantastic espresso drink... except for the milk and the espresso. It comes with two double walled filters and a third that is designed for specific coffee pods. It comes with a scoop & tamper, a cleaning tool, a metal cup for frothing milk (perfect size for one drink, but a little too small for me as I like to brew at least two beverages at once). Some neat features to the machine are the 2.2 L water reservoir, the storage tray that holds all the tools that you aren't using which tucks nicely behind the drip tray, and the drip tray has a nice indicator that lets you know you need to empty it out because it is too full.

Critiques: the water tray is a tight fit. In fact, you need to have the handle with the espresso removed in order for it to fit. The "froth enhancer" tube over the frothing wand also is finicky. I tried it on several beverages and it froths the milk before the milk is hot enough. The first time I tried it after I removed this "enhancer," it worked beautifully.

This is a very pretty machine and I have the impression that it is well built. If I have any difficulties with it, I will make note of it by editing this review when it happens.

*Edit* It has been a long time now since I purchased this device and it is still working beautifully. The build quality is standing up to my initial impressions. I have also gotten used to the size of the frothing cup and you can make many beverages in a relatively short period of time even doing one at a time.

Wreck-It Ralph (Bilingual)
Wreck-It Ralph (Bilingual)
DVD ~ John C. Reilly
Price: CDN$ 24.99
36 used & new from CDN$ 12.87

5.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., March 17 2013
This review is from: Wreck-It Ralph (Bilingual) (DVD)
Awesome awesome awesome!!!

Disney has hit a home run with this movie! The characters are cute and endearing and experience the kind of growth that you can truly cheer for. The animation is spectacular. The source material is about as awesome as it gets. Disney has done a fantastic job of creating a retro game (Fix-It Felix Jr.) which sets the stage for the movie to take place in an old school arcade where Felix, Ralph and many other more recognizable characters (both good and bad) from franchises such as Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Mario, Sonic and more.

This movie has something for most everyone, from retro games, to Hero's Duty (science fiction knock-off of Call of Duty), everyone will laugh as they enjoy this new Disney masterpiece!

Annihilation: Star Wars (The Old Republic)
Annihilation: Star Wars (The Old Republic)
by Drew Karpyshyn
Price: CDN$ 20.06
34 used & new from CDN$ 16.66

4.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., March 7 2013
A Decent Addition to the Star Wars Old Republic Universe.

I found Annihilation to be a well paced novel depicting Theron Shan on a series of adventures throughout the Star Wars Universe. Theron is an SIS agent (basically the secret service for the Republic). The book tells how Theron goes from rescuing friends in Hutt Space to attempting to take down the Sith Empire's most deadly weapon, a capital ship called the Ascendant Spear which is controlled by a single Sith, Darth Karrid through both the Dark Side and cybernetic implants that allow the ship to become an extension of herself. Karrid was once a Jedi and so her former master Gnost Dural is also a key character in this novel. Theron and Dural take on this monstrosity together and show just how well the Republic can handle this deadly threat... from the inside out.

I think Drew Karpyshyn has done a good job in this latest addition to the Old Republic Universe. Perhaps not as strong as Drew's Darth Bane books, I still think this is worth the read. However, my one hesitation about this book (and by extension all the Old Republic books) is the fact that they don't feel like they are set thousands of years before the events of Star Wars A New Hope. The technology described sounds way too similar to the movies. The Jedi and the Republic are pretty much copy and pasted from the prequel trilogy (just with different people in their respective roles).

Despite this one draw back, I think Annihilation is a great addition to the Star Wars Universe and I hope that Karpyshyn continues to add to the events that are unfolding.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9