Profile for James D. Scott > Reviews

Content by James D. Scott

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

James D. Scott (Toronto, Ontario Canada)

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)
by Mindy Kaling
Price: CDN$ 10.20
41 used & new from CDN$ 5.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Kaling, Pure Fun!, Aug. 9 2013
If you like Mindy you will love learning more about her via this book. It's very much a biography with some fun info about The Office, etc. I highly recommend - if you want a "beach read" book that you can finish in one day.

War: 10-Movie Collection
War: 10-Movie Collection
DVD ~ John Wayne
Price: CDN$ 6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars B Movie Garbage, Aug. 9 2013
This review is from: War: 10-Movie Collection (DVD)
I bought this because I love old war movies and the Amazon reviews were good. Beware! I didn't realize that most of these films were either super old or more recent B movies with fallen star actors (like Richard Burton after he was good). This is a waste of time and money at any price. Please look up the movies on Wikipedia before buying. If you still like those reviews and descriptions, this should be okay for you. I wish I had done so before buying this garbage.

The Price of Everything: Solving the Mystery of Why We Pay What We Do
The Price of Everything: Solving the Mystery of Why We Pay What We Do
by Eduardo Porter
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars A plodding, repetitive and terrible read..., Jan. 15 2011
When I first read the review for this book I was immediately captivated by the author's use of stats and anecdotes to explain price relationships that we often take for granted - enough so that I bought the book. For example, printers are sold at bargain prices to get you hooked on the super expensive ink that you must buy to make them work. However after about page 25 the examples start to grate on your nerves as they become more obvious and commonplace. Adding to the annoyance is the author's pedestrian and shifting narrative style. After page 60 you realize that this book has nothing to deliver.

Bottom line: this book should be a 4 page article in Vanity Fair, not a 300 page book.