Profile for AmyBP > Reviews

Content by AmyBP

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

AmyBP

Better Off: Flipping the Switch on Technology
Better Off: Flipping the Switch on Technology
by Eric Brende
Price: CDN$ 12.26
65 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, Jan. 3 2011
I loved it! I think what makes this book so great is twofold. First, the author had a concrete theory about the tool vs. the machine and how they fit into human life before starting this experiment. This gives you a thoughtful way to explore his experiences intellectually. Further, he's coming from the world most of us are more familiar with, which makes his interpretation of and growth in the community really easy to relate to. I've read Amish type books before and they just don't give the same feel. Brende is focused on the community's use of technology, not religion, which is a perspective you don't tend to find in "native" writers. He also offers the reader concrete ways to integrate his lessons into a more urban life in narrating their eventual move from the community.
Another reviewer said Brende seemed sexist - I didn't find this at all. While I did find myself thinking it'd be wonderful to read a book from his wife's perspective, I don't think you can fault the author that his perspective is his own and that the subject matter isn't primarily about his family life except insofar as they are affected by technology (and even then, he does make little references in the book to his own growing maturity in their relationship - I did find his description of their relationship initially confusing, but his anecdotes about their marriage seemed ultimately sweet and genuine to me).