Profile for Denny Gibbons > Reviews

Content by Denny Gibbons

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Denny Gibbons (Champaign, IL USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Dark Blue (Special Edition)
Dark Blue (Special Edition)
DVD ~ Kurt Russell
Offered by Fast Quality Products
Price: CDN$ 19.99
36 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Typical cop-hating flick, June 17 2004
This review is from: Dark Blue (Special Edition) (DVD)
First of all, if you've already seen L.A. Confidential, skip this movie, because it's just a cheap rip-off of it. The only difference is that there's no mystery about it -- everything is completely straightforward, and the audience just waits for the disgusting characters to figure it out.
The first thing that made me angry about this film was its use of the Rodney King incident. I can't express how disgusted I am that this is continually used to show the "corruption" of police officers in our society. Of course what we didn't see was Rodney King fighting the cops, but since it's now frowned upon in our society for police officers to defend themselves, especially if the person attacking them is black, it's no surprise that the cops involved have all been made out to be Gestapo.
If you enjoy movies that insinuate that all white cops are crooked, bribe-taking, evidence-planting murderers, then please rent this film. Otherwise, avoid it at all costs.

Heaven's Prisoners
Heaven's Prisoners
by James Lee Burke
Price: CDN$ 13.71
37 used & new from CDN$ 2.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Robicheaux's best, May 31 2004
This review is from: Heaven's Prisoners (Paperback)
If I could do it all again, I'd almost be tempted to read this book and not read any more of the Dave Robicheaux series, due to the incredible similarity of plots. In almost every novel, the trouble starts because Robicheaux finds something in a body of water, whether that be a bayou, a lake, an ocean, a pond, et cetera. Then all these interested parties start hounding Robicheaux because of what he's uncovered. However, this book remains the best in the series.
In this entry, Robicheaux and his wife Annie witness a small single-engine plane crash into the water while they are out on their boat, and Robicheaux rescues the only survivor: a young girl of about toddler age. Soon after, he finds himself being hounded by INS representatives, a DEA agent, and some very unpleasant people who are interested in keeping the crash a secret.
This book finds Robicheaux at his most hard-boiled, the plot is very much character driven, and it makes for an intriguing story all around. I would highly recommend this book, but only this book of the Dave Robicheaux series.

The Simpsons: The Complete Third Season
The Simpsons: The Complete Third Season
DVD ~ Dan Castellaneta
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 46.55
23 used & new from CDN$ 8.81

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-own, May 31 2004
If you're like me, you are probably very disappointed with the continuing downfall of Simpsons humor. If that is the case, buy this volume. I guarantee it will make you remember why you love the show.
I was in first grade when these episodes were first aired, which made it all the better for me because I finally got so many of the jokes that I didn't understand before. And the idiots at Fox never bother to air the classics from seasons 3-6 anymore, so I was glad to finally be able to watch episodes that I hadn't seen since they were practically new, like my all-time favorite, "Homer at the Bat."
A must-own for all Simpsons fans, especially those who think that the show's glory years are long past.

Skeleton Crew
Skeleton Crew
Price: CDN$ 9.49
101 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, May 31 2004
As someone who's read almost every Stephen King book, I can safely say that his short story collections are by far the best things he's ever done. If you liked "Night Shift", you will definitely like this.
This book is packed with great stories, but the best in my opinion have to be The Mist, The Raft, The Jaunt, and Survivor Type. The Mist is probably the longest entry (it's actually more of a novella than a short story), but I guarantee you that it will be well worth it. You'll freak out the next time you're driving in heavy fog.
One word of caution, however: most of the stories in this book are great, but there are some bad ones. I would STRONGLY recommend skipping "The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet", because it is EXTREMELY long and goes absolutely nowhere. King also wrote some poems which he threw in that don't really serve a purpose, so I'd skip those as well. The rest are well worth the read.

Night Shift
Night Shift
54 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars King's best, May 31 2004
If you want to read some scary stories, I would advise you to read this book before any others. I have read almost all of King's books, and the majority of them were somewhat frightening, but it wasn't often that I would be truly terrified by what I was reading. Then I read this collection of short stories and it blew me away. I'm twenty years old, and these stories still keep me up at night when I read them.
I don't want to spoil anything, but I thought that the scariest stories in this series were Jerusalem's Lot, One for the Road, The Mangler, and Children of the Corn. Some other stories that weren't particularly scary but were excellent nonetheless include Quitters Inc, The Ledge, Trucks, I Am the Doorway, and The Lawnmower Man (which is nothing like the awful movie, so don't be fooled).
The only reason this collection lost a star was due to several stories that really failed to scare or entertain me. If you're looking for a good scare or an intersting read, I would strongly recommend avoiding The Last Rung on the Ladder, The Woman in the Room, Night Surf, and Strawberry Spring.
Despite a few bad apples, the rest of the stories in this collection are pure gold and they do well to remind us why King is one of the most bestselling authors in the world today.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars oh no, May 30 2004
I saw this movie on a whim because it was playing on my college campus and the ticket was two bucks. When it was over, I started thinking about what I could have done with that two hours instead of watch this crap.
Shockingly, I've encountered many people who thought that this movie was "brilliant," and that if I didn't like it that I just "didn't understand it." What's to understand? This movie has no plot, the humor is weak...it's basically as bad as a student art film.
I've since come to realize that this movie suffers from the Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome (ENCS). In the story of the Emperor's New Clothes, a vain emperor employs two con artists to tailor a new set of clothes for him. According to the con men, the clothing is so fine that it can only be seen by those of high intelligence. So the con men start weaving nothing, and everyone who goes to examine the "clothing" pretends that they can see it simply because they don't want people to think that they are too dumb to see it. The emperor goes so far as to "wearing" the "clothes" (so basically he's naked) because he's afraid that people will think he is dumb if he admits that he cannot see the fibers.
This movie reminded me of that. It's a film with a meandering plot and terrible characters disguised as a "brilliant, intellectual film." I think most of the people who thought it was brilliant are simply too pompous to admit that the movie was garbage. Instead, they like to think that they are intelligent enough to understand the "hidden meanings." What hidden meanings?
A movie's principal purpose should be to entertain. Everything else comes second. So what if this film is considered to have hidden meanings and symbolism? It failed to entertain me, so in essence it failed as a film.

Mind Prey
Mind Prey
by John Sandford
69 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars the best, May 22 2004
This review is from: Mind Prey (Mass Market Paperback)
I would rate Mind Prey as on par with Winter Prey as being the best in the series. In this installment, brilliant psychopath John Mail kidnaps his former psychiatrist and her two young daughters as vengeance for her part in having him committed to a mental hospital years before. Lucas Davenport is back and hot on Mail's trail. Mail, a gamer who knows of Lucas' history designing computer games, starts toying with his pursuer by leaving obscure clues as to his location.
With the most original plot of all the "Prey" novels (as well as the most frightening and unpredictable villain), if you are new to the Prey series and you don't care about going in order, read this one before you even think about the others.
The only thing I didn't like about this book was that sometimes Sandford would create completely unnecessary characters and make it seem like their purpose in the story was meaningful, but then you'd find out that it wasn't (like Ice, one of the programmers at Davenport Simulations).

Hearts In Atlantis
Hearts In Atlantis
Price: CDN$ 9.89
123 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars King alienates his readers, May 22 2004
Fortunately, I had read the Dark Tower series before I read this book, but after I finished it, I thought to myself that King was really alienating anybody who hadn't. I've always thought it was ridiculous to interconnect novels that aren't part of the same series, because if Joe Reader picks up one of your novels, thinking that it's a stand-alone, he'll be sorely disappointed and confused when he learns that in order to understand it, he had to have read several books that are part of a separate series.
Okay Dark Tower connection, followed by several hundred pages of dull college antics that serve to remind readers that King really has forgotten what it was like to be a college student.

Dixie City Jam
Dixie City Jam
by James Lee Burke
Price: CDN$ 8.55
83 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best villain ever!, May 21 2004
This book served as my introduction to the Dave Robicheaux series, and it didn't disappoint! The atmosphere and colorful characters was good, but what I liked best was one of the most evil, sadistic and realistic literary villains I've yet come across in a mystery novel. The fear that this character instills in all of the good characters is what drives this book onward, and I didn't want to put it down until the end.

Deal Breaker: The First Myron Bolitar Novel
Deal Breaker: The First Myron Bolitar Novel
by Harlan Coben
118 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read!, May 20 2004
If you enjoy mystery, great plot twists, witty dialogue, and incredibly memorable and likeable characters, read this novel and every novel in the Myron Bolitar series!
This is the first in a series of seven books about sports agent Myron Bolitar, who, because of his investigative background in the FBI, is frequently called upon by his clients to solve crimes that are too risky or unfounded to take to the police. Myron, accompanied by his partner Win, a blue-blooded yuppie with a devastatingly brutal side, sets out to investigate when one of his clients receives a disturbing phone call from his girlfriend who had been murdered years before. The result is an action-packed explosion of intriguing characters, great plot developments, and hilarious dialogue.
All in all, a great book and well worth your time if you're a mystery fan.

Page: 1 | 2