ARRAY(0xb588b468)

Profile for A. Burrows > Reviews

Content by A. Burrows

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

A. Burrows "adambee" (boston, MA USA)

Dragons of Autumn Twilight: Dragonlance Chronicles, Volume I
Dragons of Autumn Twilight: Dragonlance Chronicles, Volume I
by Margaret Weis
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.89
92 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this one when i was 13, Dec 1 2003
I remmeber this book was the most amazing tale when i was a kid. I read it recently, and i was a bit taken aback by how easy it was to fly through. Maybe its a bit Harry Potteresque. For a kid, the characters jump out of the pages and take you into the world with them. I dont think ive ever been as encapsulated in a story ever again. I remmeber at the end of the 3rd book crying and crying because i felt all my freinds had just died. Sad eh?
The one disturbing this i heard was the authors are Mormons, and the stuff about "the true gods" is them trying to push their religion is a kind of abstract way.
This may also be complete rubbish.
Anyway, i couldnt bring myslef to give it anything but 5 stars, as it pretty much was the defining series of my childhood.

Dude, Where's My Country
Dude, Where's My Country
by Michael Moore
106 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch out, Dec 1 2003
This book contained mainly stuff everyone already knows, like George Bush isnt the smartest guy in the world, but hey, im not either. And i kinda feel sorry for Dubya to be honest, poor little guy. I dont reckon Id fare too well if I tried to argue with Rummy or Cheney (could you imagine??).
And, being a politician, from a family of politicians, theres a few skeletons in the closet. Wow. Imagine that. Not like ANY American politicans before him eh?! heh.
The Bin-Laden things a bit worrying tho, and im a bit worried for Mike if he keeps pushing the new movie about the connections between the Bush and BinLaden families and the conclusion that this brings us to, and why we are not made aware of these pretty scary facts.
I disagree with the long ranting guy below me. I think Mike needs those gun toting body guards. I wouldnt be suprised if Mike has himself a little plane accident like Paul Wellstone. People in power in this country dont like guys like this making us aware.
Mike emphasises that the right wing has taken over, but theyve also sold out their core values. There is no spirit of free enterprise left because all the corporations have sewn up all the capital. He also points out that people who consder themselves 'Liberal' should pull their heads in too, and have a look at some of the notions that keep us at loggaheads with the right.
Read this book if you dont need too much sleep. Mike shows you we have a real problem on our hands here. Ands its about time we sorted it out.

Groove (Widescreen/Full Screen)
Groove (Widescreen/Full Screen)
DVD ~ Chris Ferreira
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 77.90
9 used & new from CDN$ 18.95

2.0 out of 5 stars trying far too hard, Dec 1 2003
Im sorry, but i was really dissapointed in this film. I guess it may have been because it had been hyped up by my freinds. But if youre part of the party scene, this will leave you feeling a bit confused.
I think maybe this is the american take on what the party scene is all about, looking cool, using the latest buzzwords, doing some 'cool dance moves', wearing baggy pants, did i mention looking cool? Yeck.
The plasticity of this approach really turned me off, because this is not what the dance scene is all about. Its about leaving your ego behind when you go out.
The film has some interesting ideas, dont get me wrong. But it looks a little contrived when comapred to 'Human traffic'
(get the UK version of Human Traffic, the US version hass all drug references removed).

Human Traffic (Widescreen)
Human Traffic (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Jo Brand
Offered by roundmedia
Price: CDN$ 7.55
9 used & new from CDN$ 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding film, Dec 1 2003
This review is from: Human Traffic (Widescreen) (DVD)
I have no idea how the amazon reveiwer gave this a bad rating. Must have been watching the wrong movie i reckon. This is easily my favorite film. The characters are so real and likeable they could be your best mates. And often are. (watch this movie and youll understand)
I guess some people cant stand honesty when it comes to drugs, but this movie is not a preachy moralistic tale about the 'youth of today', its about a group of mates going out on a Friday night, an amazing night, insightful humor that produces more than one "oh my gaaaaaaaahhhhhdddd THATS ME!!!" from people,combined with a gritty reality that is so lacking in todays films.
My only critique is that some idiot thought it would be a good idea to edit out all the drug references for the US version.
Not to mention this makes for a far shorter movie (heh), it really looses the point in some bits (not to mention creeeepy).
If youre looking for the uncut version, get it from Amazon.co.uk
Get this film!! You wont regret it!!
NICE ONE BRUVVVAAAAAAH!! Hee heee!!

Who's Looking Out for You?
Who's Looking Out for You?
by Bill O'Reilly
Price: CDN$ 23.79
104 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Bill O-Lie-Rey Strikes again, Dec 1 2003
FOrtunately I didnt spend money buying this drivvel, but i was trapped at my boring cousins house for thanksgiving, and found a copy of this book, and thought "wow, now theres something i can enjoy less than the company of my annoying relatives".
I was right. This book is so jam packed full of historical innacuracies and eronious conclusions that its laughable. You'd really have to be a mindless moron not to spot the flaws in his arguments. Not to mention he's been fingered for reveiwing himself under false names.
Al Franken's book is pretty much bang on, this guy is a paid mouthpeice for the Republican party. Pretending to be a jounalist. He makes out like hes a nice fella, looking out for us.
Dont be fooled, this is PROPAGANDA.

Naked Empire
Naked Empire
by Terry Goodkind
Price: CDN$ 25.19
75 used & new from CDN$ 0.39

1.0 out of 5 stars what happened to this series???, Nov. 30 2003
This review is from: Naked Empire (Hardcover)
I started with the first few books of Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' series enjoying them wholeheartedly. The quick action scenes, combined with descriptive and imaginitve scenes, dialouge and great plot twists got me hooked.
But as the series proceeded, i started getting a feeling that Terry was trying to get at something. Now with book 8, Goodkind has thrown any pretext of a 'Novel' aside and has reverted into the kind of raving dribble usually relegated to AM radio.
First Richard had to battle an 'evil' empire that remarkably resembled communism, by using free market ideals to inspire the populance. Wow, thats insightful.
Now we find our intrepid hero doing battle the 'evil doers' that are just plain evil (osama anybody?) and what stands in his way?
Peace protesters shouting "no war", fortunately our brave hero wastes no time hacking the unarmed women and children to bits before doing battle with the evil ones.
As the series progressed, less and less imagination has gone into the plot. And far more energy has gone into pushing Mr Goodkind's right wing maniacal vision. What started out as a promising series, now has degenerated into an Ann Coulter diatribe with battle scenes.
If youre at book 5, stop there and start reading a new author. If you have any doubt about this, check this guys photo. He has a pony tail for gods sake. I bet hes 5 foot 2.