Profile for Joyce E. Harback > Reviews

Content by Joyce E. Harback

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Joyce E. Harback "slow'n'steady" (Calgary, AB)

Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear
Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear
by Max Lucado
51 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything will work out in the end. If it's not working out, it's not the end, Sept. 9 2009
Can you imagine your life without fear? In 15 chapters over 180 easy-to-read pages, Max Lucado focuses on making faith our default response to any threat. Using enchanting descriptions, Lucado takes us through logical thought process and scripture to show how we can live beyond our common fears and unspeakable terrors.

Lucado's personal transparency is disarming. He uses illustrations from his life, including the death of his brother and the serious doubt he faced one Easter morning. It helps me remember that I am reading something from a flesh and blood person. He's an absolute master with simile and metaphor, pertinent anecdotes, illuminating illustrations and apropos quotes, yet he lives life in the same trenches and faces the same reality as I.

What I appreciate most sre the lists of scripture verses that speak God's truth over the fear-inducing lies we believe. These verses we can quote with authority, knowing that God is greater than any storm, any need, any danger, any lack. We can keep our eyes on Him, trust and not be afraid.

"Fearless" is timely, insightful, encouraging and incredibly practical. I look forward to studying it in-depth. It includes a discussion guide as a resource for individuals and groups to go deeper into the concepts of each chapter by examining fear (discussion questions), exposing fear (scripture study) and battling fear (practical application).

This will be on the top of my gift-giving list. Rating: 5 out of 5.

[...]

The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective.
The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective.
by Andy Andrews
Price: CDN$ 15.87
48 used & new from CDN$ 3.81

3.0 out of 5 stars I've noticed this before, Aug. 10 2009
This is a story about Jones, 'not Mr. Jones, just Jones.' Where is he from? No one knows. How old is he? It''s anyone''s guess. Who is he? He''s a noticer. He sees things other people miss. Always carrying a mysterious suitcase, he steps into the lives of various people in Orange Beach, Alabama. He becomes a new best friend, helping them look at their question or crisis from a different perspective.

The Noticer is an easy read, communicating basic principles and valuable life lessons. The author appears comfortable with dialogue, so much of the story is told in this way. However, the continual shift in point of view between first and third person is disorienting.

While the book was entertaining and positive, there were no new concepts. I didn''t laugh, I didn''t cry. I also found many of the illustrations were not original but rather a retelling of urban legends and uplifting stories like those found in so many email forwards.

However, we do need to notice and appreciate those who have made a difference in our lives. We need to remind each other of life-lessons we may have forgotten. The Noticer helps you do that. The narrative format makes it easier to digest these lessons for those who enjoy a story rather than a self-help book. It would make a good gift for a high school graduate.

I read and reviewed this book as a member of Thomas Nelson's Book Review Blogger program: [...]

The Furious Longing of God
The Furious Longing of God
by Brennan Manning
8 used & new from CDN$ 37.12

5.0 out of 5 stars I Am My Beloved's, June 10 2009
The back cover says "A love story for the broken hearted." Truly Brennan Manning is a voice for all disaffected Christians, for all ragamuffin seekers, for Pharisees run amuck in the mess of ritual and regulation.

The core of this book drew me in: I am my beloved's. It kept me reading all day and yet could keep me reading and absorbing and mediating for weeks and months to come. I regretted on my first read that I did not buy the book so that I could underline and dog ear the pages.

I have since bought my own copy and organized a summer book discussion group to go deeper into the truths presented in each chapter. Am also halfway through Abba's Child and have Ragamuffin Gospel and Ruthless Trust on deck.

God loves me just as I am, not as I should be.

This is the thought that draws me. His heart is full of longing to see my face turned to his, to hear my voice, to embrace me with complete acceptance.

Abba, I belong to you.

Can I believe this? Can I accept this?

I finished the book in one afternoon. I, who rarely read. I found something worth reading.

And I am in love with One who loves me with a furious longing.

I believe.