ARRAY(0xb8dde7b0)

Profile for E. Anderson > Reviews

Content by E. Anderson

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

E. Anderson (Bend, OR USA)

How to Play the Piano Despite Years of Lessons: What Music Is and How to Make It at Home
by Ward Cannel
Price: CDN$ 16.02
36 used & new from CDN$ 6.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book. Badly needs updated example songs., Aug. 1 2002
I won't belabor the point that this is an excellent book. Completely readable. I checked it out from the library a few years back and didn't quite finish it - too bad, because the chord progression stuff at the end was terrific.
However, I have to say that the examples simply must be updated for this book to achieve what it sets out to achieve: teach people to make music while using examples with which they are very familiar. I am 38 years old, and I am maybe slightly familiar with 10% of the "popular" music used for illustration. What are youngsters going to think?
Another reviewer made the point that I can simply download the mp3 files and become familiar with these "standards". True, but thats hard to do on an airplane, train, bathroom, etc. Plus it may be illegal, which is a bad dependency for a book to have. This also applies to the user who said I could plunk the notes out on the keyboard: true again, but it requires having my piano in the car.
Because its a great book we are all willing to make excuses for the examples, but there really isn't an excuse - this book should be revised.