Profile for Oavde > Reviews

Content by Oavde

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Oavde "oavde" (Australia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
43 used & new from CDN$ 20.08

1.0 out of 5 stars --- EXTREMELY SUSPICIOUS --- of other reviewers, Dec 1 2003
I am ~extremely~ suspicious of other reviewers here, who have posted in response to my earlier review that only gave 1 star.
I think many of the reviews here were written by Pavel or agents for Pavel, friends, family, business associates - whatever.
I suspect it is very, very much his way of doing things. He is a very aggressive marketer - and successful at making a name for himself - and I would not be at all surprised if he deliberately spammed amazon + other sites with positive recommendations for his books.
There is no justification for many of the positive reviews seen here. Quite a few of them refer to things that the book simply does not contain.
I have nothing against Pavel and I think some of his other works are very good, for example, the Kettlebell book. It is not the best it can be, far from it, it is very incomplete, but overall the Kettlebell book is a good read, has good exercises, Pavel has quite a bit of eccentric charm.
HOWEVER I think this book is a bit light, nothing special, and I think most if not all the positive reviews here are covert advertising - so anyone reading these, take note of what I am saying, take them with a grain of salt AND LOOK AT THE BOOK FOR YOURSELF before you buy it, make up your own mind.
I am not denying that the book has some worth nor that the exercises won't help you out, however the price is high, the content sparse and the advertising thick and in your face.
MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND.
Oh, and Pavel (+friends), please don't come back posting a review along the lines of "well I was put off by the negative review then I had a look in the bookstore and it was fantastic" you've already done a few of those. I say to genuine readers - go and LOOK at the book first (then order from amazon if you like it). DON'T trust these reviews.

Making & Mastering Wood Planes
Making & Mastering Wood Planes
by David Finck
13 used & new from CDN$ 78.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely magnificent, Aug. 13 2003
I bought this book based on the other reviews here, and I completely agree with them: this is a real gem. There is not much more I can add except to say that I think every woodworker should have this one.
That includes any beginners out there, I think this one has so many excellent guides covering just about every topic, you can hardly go wrong. Note that it doesn't cover joints / furniture design etc.. etc.. but it does cover most of the basic skills, and it gives you a worthwhile project (building a plane) to work through.
HIGHLY recommended.
Good for novice / advanced woodworkers also.
I hope this added review helps you decide to give it a go, because I wish I had this book way back when I was starting out.

Woodworker's Hand Tools: An Essential Guide
Woodworker's Hand Tools: An Essential Guide
by Rick Peters
17 used & new from CDN$ 3.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and valuable guide to hand tools, May 21 2003
This is an excellent book.
I just popped on to Amazon to see what other books the author has because this one was so good - saw there were no reviews so thought I would just add my 2c
- detailed and comprehensive
- magnificent colour photos throughout
- every topic, every tool jam packed with gems of tips, it seemed that everything had something new to add
- tells you what, why, how for every tool imaginable
note this is for HAND tools that means hand powered, NOT electric tools held in your hand, we're talking chisels etc.. here, but also things such as vices, sharpening stones etc.. etc.. it covers all the traditional tools.
very good, well worth a look, even if you experienced it is a good read, and if you are a beginner, well it is excellent

Master of the Blade: Secrets of the Deadly Art of Knife Fighting
Master of the Blade: Secrets of the Deadly Art of Knife Fighting
by Richard Ryan
17 used & new from CDN$ 11.24

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't add much but agree with all other reviews here, Sept. 28 2002
There is not much I can add, I agree with all the other reviews here. This book is very worthwhile, full of practical, useful information.
I kind of wish all the thugs out there and kids carrying knives would read it and realise how horrific it is to be in a knife fight, maybe then they'd change their ways.
Well, maybe not the thugs, but at least they'd be more likely to rob you with skill and not hurt you than rob you with no skill and probably kill you in a mad frenzy of stupidity and fear.
In brief, chapter by chapter it shows you:
the blades and advantages
how to cut
how to defend / counter
tactics
strategies (longer term tactics)
mistakes you could make that could be deadly
concealment (not just for you to conceal, helps you learn how others might conceal the weapon)
There are more chapters than this but those are the main topics.
The stance he suggests is very good, it might seem completely bananas for unarmed combat but makes great sense when wielding / facing a weapon.
I recommend this book and hope you never need the skills in it.
...

Momentum, Direction, and Divergence
Momentum, Direction, and Divergence
by William Blau
Price: CDN$ 67.40
22 used & new from CDN$ 16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars EXTREMELY great book, Sept. 27 2002
OK where did my previous review of this book go? I wrote it months ago was it lost?
Can't be bothered writing the whole thing again, so in summary: it is an excellent book, picks a main concept of smoothing and constructs some excellent indicators, and many different ones, has great ideas, inspires great ideas, has code / formulas you name it, extremely worthwhile for anyone who is serious and capable of putting these things into use.
That means constructing them and understanding them.
Some reviewers seem disappointed ... I suspect some people think "momentum" is some magic bullet that will get them into a stock before it moves, other reviewers are arguing definitions, all I can say is that when I first got hold of this book I took a look and did not really like it, but after working my way through it found it to be truly a gem.
Very worthwhile.
And where did my previous review go? grrrr

The Ultimate Trading Guide
The Ultimate Trading Guide
by John R. Hill
Price: CDN$ 75.59
23 used & new from CDN$ 39.40

5.0 out of 5 stars It is the ultimate - but not for everyone., June 30 2002
12 out of 10. But not for everyone. The book is designed to help ~you~ develop a trading system, it does not hand one out to you on a platter. Actually it does serve up many, many, many different systems, tests them, explains them in extreme detail to the point that you could computerise them (if you have that skill) however you won't find any of them work wonders.
If however you are very skilled you will get a lot of inspiration from this book. For example, if you are already very advanced, and have developed your own systems either in your head or on computer.
If you are a beginner / novice you might be completely overwhelmed.
Read the other reader reviews and you'll see generally those who are experienced loved it, those new to trading wanting easy answers hated it / disappointed.
It is one of the few books I am reluctant to promote because I don't want the secrets in it to get out - ha! oh well hopefully most people won't get it.

43 used & new from CDN$ 20.08

1.0 out of 5 stars has only one book, Dec 13 2001
Pavel has some good material in his various texts but really, he has only written one book: then split it up into many books, charged a fortune for each, filled them with blank space huge text and repetitive photos.
I won't deny the soviets have some great research, you won't find it here.
You could prob. skip all his books just reading his articles in Muscle Media magazine.
There is absolutely no excuse putting together something like this and charging so much.
All his works should be one giant book well illustrated well explained and edited for a change, perhaps still selling for $40 or so but good value at least.
Take a look at the book in person, in a bookstore, before purchasing.

Russian Kettlebell Challenge, The: Xtreme Fitness for Hard Living Comrades
Russian Kettlebell Challenge, The: Xtreme Fitness for Hard Living Comrades
38 used & new from CDN$ 12.04

4.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY! the modern world is catching on!, Oct. 11 2001
Warning: I have NOT read this book, but am ordering it immediately. I have long been a fan of old world techniques of developing strength and can already tell you kettlebells are far superior to "modern" methods, especially swinging them. I am so glad this book has been written I hope it makes kettles more popular and hence available!
This kind of workout will make you much much more functionally stronger - if you are looking to just pump up your muscles, look elsewhere. There is nothing wrong with pumping up your muscles however this kind of training will thicken and strengthen your tendons and ligaments because of the ever-changing stresses of the weight in motion, and believe me it feels a lot more real and complete than the mechanical motions of conventional weight lifting (actually I should say bodybuilding).
I am not having a go at the normal modern approach there is a lot to be said for many of the exercises still popular e.g squats, benchpress, deadlift, dips etc.. but these are all generally single line of motion and stop-start ... you will reap huge benefits from the dynamic motion of swinging kettlebells.
I look forward to adding this book to my extensive library of old world strongman books, and I recommend you take a look yourself. Look at all the other reader reviews, all positive! That has to be a good sign!
Good luck! Get strong!

by Imi Sde-Or
Price: CDN$ 15.68
36 used & new from CDN$ 6.25

4.0 out of 5 stars UPGRADED REVIEW, Aug. 18 2001
I have upgraded my review to 4 stars - I did not think I would create such controversy.
I have to apologise if I seemed overly critical in the last review because I have over 15 years experience in specific anti-gun and anti-knife techniques so when I looked at Krav Maga I didn´¿t think ´¿wow something that really works!´¿ I thought ´¿mistake, bad foot work, wrong position elbow, what if attacker does this, telegraphed movement, approach from wrong side´¿ etc..
However after thinking about it, compared to what other books are out there it is quite good. Certainly what I have learnt in my training I have NEVER seen in any book. For me KM was nothing new. It was a good read and interesting and gave me an insight into the psychology and social history behind its development. Maybe I should write a book ´¿ seriously, maybe I will.
Kjetil Moland you asked what techniques I advocate against guns, knives and sticks ´¿ I recommend techniques similar to Krav Maga ´¿ but when I saw the KM techniques I picked them apart, I forget that what I know is not widely practised. I made specific points in my other review. THERE ARE SHORTCOMINGS IN THE TECHNIQUES IN THE KRAV MAGA BOOK. If you can´¿t pick up on them then you need more experience. Coat your practise knife in paint and see where you get cut. Karate, Taekwondo, Ju Jitsu, Judo, kickboxing, thaiboxing are inferior to KM for real world self defense (although Ju Jitsu should not have been too bad) they all have their own strengths but in all that I have seen of those you mentioned I have never seen adequate real world techniques taught. 4 of those you mentioned are purely sport and the other 2 are a combination of sport / traditions and none of them strictly taught without any pure real-world self defense practise are adequate for the real world ´¿ you should know that.
p24 Stab to the Stomach from the Side, Oriental Hold, Forearm defense. Anyone skilled with a knife will immediately twist with the knife and slash the veins along your forearm, retreating and driving the blade down into your throat. Even if the attacker has no knife skills and just lunges at your stomach, you would be lucky if the knife was short enough to not hit you regardless. Either way you have put yourself in the path of the blade. Do you honestly believe that after blocking with your right forearm you are able to then move your right arm and grab the same position on the attackers wrist with your left hand while he stands there not moving? He has a huge knife, any movement he makes with his arm is leveraged with the length of the blade. Slash your forearm, hook it up into your armpit or bicep, not to mention your throat, the knife wielding attacker has the advantage of reach speed and leverage (not to mention the sharp edge) and the KM guy is basically saying ´¿don´¿t stab my gut, stab my throat instead´¿.
You would be far better off initially trapping the arm by deflecting it to your right, leaving you on the outside of the attacker (on his right hand side past his arm) and able to break his arm at the elbow or drive him down.
However after criticising that technique I will say this: what they show IS instinctive, simple, easy to apply even in for example a really crowded place with people all around, easy to learn, and most importantly could well save you especially if the person attacking you is just some ordinary guy with a knife trying to stab you, and not a trained killer (with a cool head, knife skills and a deliberate intent). More likely than not, if you practise these KM skills, then in that situation your trained reflexes will save you and give you the edge over the attacker (the last thing he would expect is a competant counter attack).
Also I would point out that many martial arts, if you had learnt them instead of KM, you would have the reflexes to block the initial stab but you probably would not instinctively grab the knife etc... like KM would teach you. The traditional martial arts generally do not give adequate training for real world events. KM does fill the gap quite a bit. I am sorry if I seemed overly critical before but remember I didn´¿t look at KM and think ´¿gee I never saw this before´¿
If you do not think you can defend yourself against knives, guns, sticks (or grenades ´¿ something I hope I never encounter) then you would probably learn a great deal from this book ´¿ and then you must practise it a lot as realistically as you can. Get it, get a friend, practise practise practise ´¿ experience is the real key. Practise until it is second nature and then practise some more but with chaotic unpredictable opponents (not just rehearsing) (like the reviewer who mentioned going all-out with pads). Tell your partner: "Take this knife and kill me or die."
Dip the practice knife in paint. Use a water pistol with food dye in it. Make no excuses. And don´¿t go thinking KM is the be all end all just because you´¿ve never seen techniques like these before. Everyone loves to think their martial art is the best and to pretend to themselves that because their technique is superior they will be OK ´¿ don´¿t fall in that trap, practise, learn what is useful and what works.
Good luck and may you never have to use these skills.
I also recommend ´¿Bouncers Guide to Barroom Brawling´¿ - an accurate account of street fighting, however it does not have many illustration or specific techniques like Krav Maga does.

by Imi Sde-Or
Price: CDN$ 15.68
36 used & new from CDN$ 6.25

3.0 out of 5 stars Very bad self defense, but interesting, Aug. 8 2001
Most of the techniques require that your assailant is off balance, over-committed and incredibly stupid, with only one arm no ability to use their legs, head or indeed skill with their chosen weapon, no peripheral vision and often intoxicated with religious zeal. This may be the case in Israel but sadly is not so in other parts of the world.
Now that is one insulting statement I just made so I had better elaborate. I did enjoy this book and it does have some value, I just worry it might be a bit dangerous especially for beginners.
It is quite well written, I did not find the photos difficult to understand like one reviewer here commented. As far as being a book is concerned it is quite well put together and good value. It is the actual techniques that are dodgy.
It really does assume the attacker is over committed, off balance or just plain stupid. Most of the Krav Maga counters are themselves very easy to counter, the Krav Maga guy putting himself in an off-balance, over committed position not to mention exposing himself in the most extreme ways. How does wrestling a gun so it points at your groin sound? No good? Alright, someone stabs at your midsection - lean forward as far as you can and offer them your throat. Provided they are a lunatic stabbing madly in religious fervour, you'll be fine. Although most people will simply stab you in the throat.
Many of the anti-gun and anti-knife moves approach from the open side instead of the blind side, telegraphing the move and prob. will leave you dead. Some of the anti-terrorist moves are likely to leave the poor hostage dead, usually from wrestling the gun so it points at yourself or the hostage.
I do not suggest trying to grab the barrel of a gun to stop it revolving and hence firing a second bullet: the first bullet will prob. kill you (as you've just wrestled the gun to point at a vital part of your body), the flash will burn your hand and many gunners oil their guns making it IMPOSSIBLE to hold it still. I know this from a friend with a burnt hand and a hole in his leg. You're better off jamming your hand in the hammer instead. The grenade tactics are OK but if you mistake a bomb trigger for a grenade, you're history.
Overall it is interesting (if brief) in its coverage of all these weapons such as grenades, machine guns etc... but not effective. In my opinion dangerously inadequate, very bad technique, unfoundered on actual experience. Again, these are insulting statements so I would like to point out that the "real life examples" they use to justify their techniques are garbage stories like "when the grand master was 13 his brother pulled a gun on him and he hit it and it went off and he was unhurt" and stuff like that. NOT real life examples of combat for life and death on the street, just idiots stuffing around and accidents, they neglect to mention that the REASON the gun went off in those examples was BECAUSE they hit it. Just plain stupid. The obvious lack of experience astounds me.
The reason Israel is not known for its martial arts is because they are really really bad. I find it difficult to believe anything in this book would stand up to anyone other than a person standing still for the photo. However I did enjoy reading it - it makes you think about your existing skills, it gives an insight into another M.A culture, it is interesting for any instructors out there with spare time and money to have a look.
But for ~anyone~ who wants to learn serious self defense techniques this is absolutely NOT the book to get, stay away unless you are already experienced and just want an interesting read. I hope I have not offended anyone with this review - if I have then don't get mad at me, get some other skills and compare them for yourself.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3