Profile for Rebecca*rhapsodyinblue* > Reviews

Content by Rebecca*rhapso...

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Rebecca*rhapsodyinblue* (CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Torch
Torch
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 22.83
12 used & new from CDN$ 1.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Carly Simon Singing From The Heart, Dec 13 2003
This review is from: Torch (Audio CD)
Carly Simon is not only a talented/multi-awardee singer but a very prolific songwriter as well. My first Carly Simon album was "The Best Of Carly Simon" which features her first solo hit "That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be. I bought "Torch" in an album format when it first came out in the 80's and upgraded it to a CD just a few years back. It has a fabulous collection of tear-jerking torch songs that only Carly can deliver passionately and coming from the heart, such as, "Body and Soul," "I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good," "Spring Is Here," and "I Get Along Without You Very Well." It also includes her very own composition, "From The Heart" (about the break-up of her marriage with JT).

Guests include two of the finest musicians in the jazz scene, David Sanborn and Lee Ritenour (whom I've watched performed at the Universal Amphitheatre in the 90's). This is Carly's first attempt to record standards and she did a great job! Her powerful and husky voice that's distinctively her own makes her style so unique.

Highly recommended, give a listen to Carly Simon, the torch singer of today!

Michael Bublé
Michael Bublé
Price: CDN$ 9.26
68 used & new from CDN$ 0.48

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Voice, A Promising Career, New Singing Sensation, Oct. 26 2003
This review is from: Michael Bublé (Audio CD)
I was tuned in to Jazz station 94.7 The Wave, and "Moondance" was playing. I said to myself, "Oh my what a voice! It couldn't be Harry Connick, Jr, couldn't be Michael Feinstein, couldn't be Bobby Caldwell, definitely not Frank Sinatra or Mel Torme! Who is this singer?" After the song, the DJ said ... "You just heard "Moondance" by Michael Buble.... pronounced as (Boo-blay) from the CD Michael Buble......" I never heard of him! I ordered the CD from Amazon.com and found myself not only listening to it but singing along as well.

Great selection of songs from the initial song "Fever", followed by one of my favorites, "Moondance" (makes you sing along & snap your fingers). Listening to the slower ones, "Kissing A Fool," "The Way You Look Tonight," "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine," and ""Put Your Head On My Shoulder" makes you want to fall in love again! His renditions of "Come Fly With Me," "For Once In My Life" and "Summer Wind" are almost like the legendary Francis Albert Sinatra's style. "For Once In My Life" and "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" are equally mesmerizing. If you're in the mood for dancing and swinging and want to be cool and hip, then dance to the tune of "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" (I like the refrain ... there goes my baby.....she knows how to rock & roll, she drives me crazy). Likewise with "Sway" where you can dance and "Cha-Cha-Cha."

"That's All," the last tract, is one of my all-time favorites. Hopefully, it's not "that's all" for this young and promising new singer. He deserves a pat on the back. Congratulations Mr. Michael Buble!

This CD is superb and a nice addition to anyone's collection.

It Had To Be You... The Great American Songbook
It Had To Be You... The Great American Songbook
Price: CDN$ 8.00
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Stewart's Most Romantic CD, Oct. 19 2003
"It's such a joy to sing these songs." ~ Rod Stewart ~

"Rod had an innate feeling for the material and a passion for the standards." ~ Richard Perry ~

I must admit that I only became a fan of Rod the Fab (a title I coined - Rod as the Fabulous interpreter of the Great American Songbook) when he recorded the standards from the GAS, although there were occasional hits he sung that really appeal to me like "Reason To Believe," "I Don't Want To Talk About It" and "You're In My Heart." And now I'm a forty-something fan! I grew up listening to these songs. My father was a music lover and had the most extensive collection of albums, tapes and CDs. I learned to appreciate the standards at an early age. And as someone who grew up with the standards playing over and over at our musical household as sang by Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Cole, Vaughan, Martin, Como, Bennett, Clooney, Day, London, Stafford, among many others, I totally welcome and embrace new interpretations by contemporary artists done in splendid and loveliest settings and recordings. So when I heard Rod Stewart singing "It Had To Be You" on the radio, I thought that I must have that CD. On my way home from work, I stopped by Tower Records to get me a copy and found myself listening to it over and over again.

I salute Rod Stewart and his producers, Richard Perry, Clive Davis and Phil Ramone for coming up with this romantic CD, he should have done it earlier! Who would ever think that one day the rocker will record this kind of music? Lo and behold, he did and passed with flying colors and ultimately proved his versatility and not to mention his love and respect for these eternal standards. According to him, "it's such a joy to sing these songs." Mr. Stewart and Mr. Davis worked very closely together in selecting its repertoire. They hope to accomplish bringing these ageless songs that constitute the Great American Songbook to millions of people all over the world.

My highlights:

"They Can't Take That Away From Me" - a great Gershwin & Gershwin classic first recorded in 1939. An old song but to my ears it's "forever young." It's never out of date. This is one of the most memorable songs to me.

"The Way You Look Tonight" - an unforgettable gem from Kern & Fields that has a special spot in my heart. A very important person in my life once told me that this is his song for me and me alone. (Sigh! The door is still open).

"These Foolish Things" - a charmer penned by Jack Strachey & Holt Marvell. "Those stumbling words that told you what my heart meant. . . Oh how the ghost of you clings . . . these foolish things remind me of you."

"The Very Thought of You" - Ray Noble's most famous ditty that Mr. Stewart performed so marvelously. "I see your face in every flower . . . your eyes in the stars above."

"That Old Feeling" - a Sammy Fain & Lew Brown song. Also known as one of Sinatra's signature songs. "There'll be no new romance for me . . . it's foolish to start . . . for that old, old feeling is still in my heart."

"You Go To My Head" - Haven Gillespie & J. Fred Coots' jewel sung in a very relaxed atmosphere. "Like a summer with a thousand Julys, you intoxicate my soul with your eyes."

"That's All" - a great song by Bob Haymes & Alan Brandt sung in a very meaningful and sincere fashion. "And the only heart I own for you and you alone."

"I'll Be Seeing You" - A Sammy Fain & Irving Kahal gorgeous standard. "I'll be seeing you in every lovely summer's day, in everything's that's light and gay, I'll always think of you that way."

"We'll Be Together Again" - a beautiful and uplifting song composed by Carl Fischer & Frankie Lane.

"Some day, some way
We'll both have a lifetime before us
For parting is never goodbye
We'll be together again."

Volume II will be released soon and I already pre-ordered a copy for me! It would have been nice if he will record some of the loveliest songs of all time such as "Moonlight Serenade," "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You," "My One & Only Love," "The Look Of Love," "Come Rain Or Come Shine," "Night And Day," and "Stardust" to name a few.... Volume III coming up?

Bravo Rod Stewart!!