Profile for Rebecca*rhapsodyinblue* > Reviews

Content by Rebecca*rhapso...

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Rebecca*rhapsodyinblue* (CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Love Scenes
Love Scenes
Price: CDN$ 11.58
28 used & new from CDN$ 1.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Diana Krall Creates A Warm Musical Romance, March 6 2008
This review is from: Love Scenes (Audio CD)
"These songs are indeed about romance. But to me there is a broader and more personal attachment to each of the songs than the standard definition of romantic love might imply. I think that these songs represent the strength of love, including the love of family and friends. But rather than describing my own thoughts about each song, it is my hope that all of you who listen to the music and read the lyrics will discover and imagine your own personal "love scenes" among the mountains, oceans, rain and gardens of these songs." ~ Diana Krall ~

With this charmingly romantic CD "Love Scenes," Diana Krall once again has proven that she's got what it takes to be a modern-day jazz diva. Over the years, I've had the great pleasure of listening to some of the loveliest music courtesy of Diana Krall, who instantly became one of my favorite jazz artists after listening to one of her most remarkable and well-produced CDs, "When I Look in Your Eyes," the only Diana Krall CD that won the Grammy awards for the "Best Jazz Vocal Performance" in 1999, and was nominated for "Album of the Year." On the cover story of More Magazine, November 2007 issue written by Susan McClelland, she indicated that it was the "first time that a jazz singer has received such a nod since Ella Fitzgerald, 25 years earlier." It's a fact, "When I Look in Your Eyes" is truly the crème de la crème from all of her albums, and that nomination proved it.

Her follow-up CD, "The Look of Love," recorded in 2001 is also my top favorite and sold 3.5 million copies. This album, "Love Scenes," recorded in 1997 comes close to the aforementioned CDs in terms of beauty and appeal to the listeners. Both albums also received Grammy nominations.

Although she doesn't have the embellishment of a full orchestra in this recording, she does justice to every song she artfully interprets with the backing of two of the most trusted names in jazz instrumentations whose chops are always flawless and spectacular - guitarist Russell Malone and bassist Christian McBride.

Whether she's singing my all-time favorite gems "They Can't Take That Away From Me," "You're Getting To Be A Habit With Me" and "How Deep Is The Ocean" or the less popular ones such as "I Miss You So," "Gentle Rain" and "My Love Is," she exudes confidence and lends elegance and sweet sophistication to each rendition to attain the album's theme of a warm musical romance.

This CD is a winner and a keeper! With my heartfelt recommendation.

"All the greats have passed. Diana has filled a bit of that void. She brought millions of dollars to her record label, so the company could invest in other jazz artists. This is one of Diana's legacies." ~ Bill King, Publisher - Jazz Report Magazine ~

Song Is You Best Of The Verve
Song Is You Best Of The Verve
Price: CDN$ 17.53
20 used & new from CDN$ 11.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Distinctively Peterson . . . Only A Bit Mellower, But Still Remarkable, March 6 2008
"Jazz musicians normally choose tunes whose melodic and harmonic implications offer them the fullest opportunity to express their art and define their style: very often, the process will take them a long way from the composer's intention and mood. But here Peterson and his confrères are primarily concerned with the composers' art, and not their own. Not for nothing are the albums known as "the songbook series," the accent is on the American popular song at its best." ~ Richard Palmer ~

For those who are familiar with Oscar Peterson Songbook series, there is nothing new to this two-CD-set, "The Song Is You: Best of the Verve Songbooks." However, what makes this set worthy to any Peterson aficionado is that it consists of the best of the best in the Songbook series produced by Norman Granz under Verve Records. The thirty-two most outstanding tracks were selected from twenty different albums that he recorded between 1952 and 1959 representing the timeless melodies of the most brilliant composers of all-time: George Gershwin, Irving Berlin, Cole Porter, Jimmy McHugh, Jerome Kern, Duke Ellington, Richard Rodgers, Harry Warren, Harold Arlen and Vincent Youmans.

In these recordings, the genius of jazz piano is competently supported by Ray Brown (bass), Ed Thigpen (drums), Barney Kessel and Herb Ellis (guitar).

The late Mr. Peterson once said that "he never tried to sound like a trumpet or a clarinet. He was taught to respect the piano for what it was. And it spoke with a certain voice. And that was what he was determined to bring forward." That is especially true with his superb renditions of all the tunes from this impressive set, which highlights "Cheek To Cheek," "It Ain't Necessarily So," "Tea For Two," "Without A Song" and "The Song Is You" on Disc One, and "I Only Have Eyes For You," "Come Rain Or Come Shine," "A Foggy Day," "Serenade In Blue" and "The Song Is Ended" on Disc Two. There are two versions of "Blue Moon" -- the first version on Disc One was taken from "Plays Richard Rodgers" recorded in December of 1953, and the other version on Disc Two was taken from "The Richard Rodgers Songbook" recorded in 1959. Both recordings feature Brown and Ellis.

Richard Palmer, who in 1996 recently completed a collaboration with Peterson on the pianist's then-forthcoming autobiography, "A Jazz Odyssey: My Life in Jazz," has written a very informative Liner Notes stating that if "they do not present Peterson the jazz pianist at his most ambitious, majestic, or definitive, you cannot understand Peterson the accompanist, Peterson the musical brain, or Peterson the mature virtuoso without a proper recognition of what these sessions did to and for him."

This was what Brown had to say about Peterson's beautiful arrangements on these recordings shortly after their fifteen-year partnership came to an end, and I quote: "We worked hard at it every day, every night. And if you want to be good playing jazz, you have to work at it all the time. We did a variety of things, and Oscar wrote some hard music, but he didn't write it down. We had to memorize all of it."

This set is a welcome addition to your Peterson collection. I graciously recommend it. It's a great listen!

The Very Best Of Diana Krall
The Very Best Of Diana Krall
Price: CDN$ 8.00
30 used & new from CDN$ 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars "And What My Heart Has Heard . . . Well, It Takes My Breath Away", March 6 2008
Considering that this is the first compilation of the very best of Diana Krall's recordings, it is an essential add-on to all her fans. The 15 gorgeous songs were perfectly selected from seven of her most remarkable albums starting off with George and Ira Gershwin's gem of gems, "'S Wonderful" down to Bart Howard's most charming composition and an all-time favorite of mine, "Fly Me To The Moon" . . .

"And let me play among the stars
Let me see what Spring is like
On Jupiter and Mars
In other words, hold my hand
In other words, I love you."

Although I have listened to and enjoyed all these songs from the CDs this compilation was taken, I still think that this CD is a great addition to my collection since it features the crème de la crème from all of her recordings. You don't have to skip any track for every song is truly a charmer and a winner. Who can resist the beauty of these all-time favorites of mine? These are spellbinding songs of the heart that can create wonderful memories you'll treasure forever.

"'S Wonderful" - Claus Ogerman's flawless Bossa Nova arrangement and orchestration with the Los Angeles Session Orchestra and Krall's sublime vocal and piano artistry made this standard an absolute gem of gems that would have made the Gershwin Brothers so proud since it's the best interpretation ever recorded.

"You made my life so glamorous
You can't blame me for feeling amorous
'S wonderful, marvelous
That you should care for me."

"The Look of Love" - a charming ditty from Burt Bacharach and Hal David that will make any music lover fall in love with its melody and lyric. Once again, Claus Ogerman brought out the very best in Krall with his arranging expertise and Krall gives this song the ultimate radiance it so deserves.

"The look of love
Is saying so much more
Than just words could ever say
And what my heart has heard
Well it takes my breath away."

"You Go To My Head" - a favorite of great singers to record and one of the masterworks of J. Fred Coots and Haven Gillespie. Another Claus Ogerman superb arrangement and orchestration with the London Session Orchestra. This will be a treat to your ears for it's a previously unreleased track.

"You go to my head
And you linger like a haunting refrain
And I find you spinning 'round in my brain
Like the bubbles in a glass of champagne."

"Let's Face The Music And Dance" - the most remarkable and captivating version of this Irving Berlin classic. Another majestic orchestral arrangement by Johnny Mandel, conducted by himself and Eddie Karam.

"So while there's moonlight and music
And love and romance
Let's face the music and dance."

"I've Got You Under My Skin" - Cole Porter's most enduring song and one of the most recorded standards. Who wouldn't be enchanted by Johnny Mandel's brilliant orchestral arrangement? I would say Krall gives it the retire-the-trophy-treatment for a female vocal rendition.

"And deep in my heart
You're really a part of me
I have got you under my skin."

And last but not least . . .

"East of the Sun (And West of the Moon)" - a very nice song penned by Brooks Bowman featuring Krall on vocals and piano with Anthony Wilson (guitar), John Clayton (bass) and Jeff Hamilton (drums).

"Just you and I
Forever and a day
Love will not die
We'll keep it that way
Up among the stars we'll find
A harmony of life to a lovely tune
East of the sun and west of the moon."

Diana Krall is an icon of elegance in music and she has a penchant for reviving sweetly sentimental songs that are completely pleasing to the ears with her soft, mellow and sultry vocal art that is as sweet as pie. And this compilation CD "The Very Best of Diana Krall" is a testament of her love and passion to her craft, and a must-have not only to her fans, but also to lovers of great music.

Wholeheartedly recommended for your listening pleasure!

Sophie Milman
Sophie Milman
Price: CDN$ 12.32
42 used & new from CDN$ 3.45

5.0 out of 5 stars An Utterly Charming and Stunningly Beautiful CD, March 6 2008
This review is from: Sophie Milman (Audio CD)
Her album covers suggest high, jazz-diva glamour - you'd almost want to use an old fashioned word like 'swanky' to describe the Gershwin-era sensibility at work. Her voice has it, too, curling out like a memory of smoke-and-martini-fuelled cocktail parties, though sometimes transforming itself into a claim on all that is blithe and innocent." ~ Toronto Life Magazine, December 2007 ~

"Sophie Milman sings sublimely and she does sultry with impeccable, classy style. ~ Q Magazine ~

This is my very first Sophie Milman CD and most definitely will not be the last! I'm truly impressed with her outstanding vocal flair and style. She has an extensive vocal range and her phrasing is crisp and crystal-clear. She's now among my newest favorite jazz singers whom I call in my jazz vocabulary the second generation jazz divas, next to the original divas -- Ella, Sarah, et al.

Released in 2004, this self-titled debut album of Sophie Milman is utterly charming and stunningly beautiful with an impeccable choice of material that represents some of the greatest composers and lyricists of all-time, from George and Ira Gershwin, Jimmy McHugh and Dorothy Fields to Leonard Berstein, Stephen Sondheim and Antonio Carlos Jobim.

All the tracks are sure winners! Her heartfelt take on my all-time favorite "La Vie En Rose" alone is enough reason to own this elegant CD. Listen closely with your undivided attention as she sings this lovely song in its original setting in French with its enthralling instrumentations especially the striking bridge solo. To make it short, it is simply splendid!

"Quand il me prend dans ses bras
Il me parle tout bas
Je vois la vie en rose
Il me dit des mots d'amour
Des mots de tous les jours
Et ca m'fait quelque chose."

She does more than justice to Jobim's "Agua de Beber" with a jazz fusion arrangement but still remains true to its Bossa Nova rhythm. While she's jazzing it up with "I Can't Give You Anything But Love," she slows it down with two meaningful songs, "Guilty" and a classic from George and Ira Gershwin, "The Man I Love" featuring an ear-candy harmonica solo by Guido Basso. Then she does a sparkling rendition of "My Heart Belongs To Daddy," one of my favorites tracks.

The exceptional talents of the musicians involved in this recording cannot be left unnoticed -- Bill King and John Sheard (piano), Alan Hetherington (percussion), Marc Rogers and Artie Roth (bass), Davide DiRenzo (drums), Pat La Barbera (alto sax), Phil Dywer (tenor sax) and Guido Basso (harmonica), among others. I would say that Ms. Milman is a "musician's musician" for she displays a very good rapport with her back-up team, who all show a great interplay amongst them.

Listening to this CD is equivalent to having my favorite dessert -- every song is a sweet delight! So adorn your jazz collection with this elegant and irresistible CD. I will certainly recommend her sophomore CD, Make Someone Happy" which after its initial release hits the # 4 spot in the Billboard Jazz charts.

Have a lovely listening experience!

At The Movies (2 Bonus Tracks)
At The Movies (2 Bonus Tracks)
Price: CDN$ 13.11
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.64

5.0 out of 5 stars "Play It Once, Sam . . . For Old Time's Sake", March 5 2008
"At the movies is dedicated in loving memory of my mother, Audrey Koz. She always wanted me to make this album, and thankfully she got to hear it before she passed... it was her favorite. I love you, Mom." ~ Dave Koz ~

Before its scheduled release-date, I bought a CD sampler at Borders. It has three tracks -- absolutely beautiful interpretations of "It Might Be You" featuring Peter White on guitar, "The Shadow of Your Smile" featuring Johnny Mathis on vocals and Chris Botti on trumpet, and "Pink Panther Theme." After listening to it, I couldn't wait to listen to the entire CD. Now my curiosity was finally satisfied. I thoroughly enjoyed this tribute album, which immortalizes the beauty of classic film music of our time.

Dave Koz, who is also a host of smooth jazz radio show at 94.7 The Wave, is one of my favorite saxophonists of all-time. He's such a great sax player and he's not only playing the instrument for the sake of playing, but he does his craft with dedication and a style that speaks of sheer beauty and perfection. Listen closely to the purely instrumental tracks: "The Summer Knows," "The Shadow of Your Smile," "Over The Rainbow," "It Might Be You," "Cinema Paradiso Suite," "As Time Goes By" and "Schindler's List." They are all sweepingly beautiful.

It's so easy to love an album when it has great style and has all the qualities that make it an outstanding recording. This latest offering from Dave Koz and his special guests, "At The Movies" falls into that category. Its lush orchestrations by two of the finest arrangers/conductors - Rob Matthes and Rob Mounsey are so astonishing.

My favorites include both versions of "The Shadow of Your Smile" -- one with vocals by Johnny Mathis and a trumpet solo by Chris Botti, and the other version is all-instrumental with Botti's exquisite trumpet and Norman Brown's charming guitar. The bonus track, "It Might Be You" features guitarist Peter White.

Another superb track, "Over The Rainbow," contains a vocal intro by Judy Garland taken from her original recording. With Matthes' rich orchestration and Koz's mastery of his instrument, this is easily one of the highlights from this collection of movie themes.

The inclusion of a dialogue from my all-time favorite classic movie, "Casablanca," adds a sense of nostalgia to this gem, "As Time Goes By." What a brilliant idea -- it's a novelty.

Ilsa: Play it once, Sam, for old time's sake.
Sam: I don't know what you mean, Miss Ilsa.
Ilsa: Play it, Sam. Play "As Time Goes By."

Barry Manilow does a great performance in "Moon River" complementing Koz's sweeping sax. Anita Baker shines in her rendition of "Somewhere." Ditto with Vanessa Williams' "The Way We Were," India.Aries' "It Might Be You" and Donna Summers' "A Whole New World." They show off their exceptional vocal styles on these notable numbers.

On acknowledgment, Koz ended with this beautiful message ... "My most humble thanks to God for these ever-folding series of gifts and blessings."

If you're looking for outstanding musical adventure with great sound of sax, lush orchestrations and a variety of vocal styles, this is for you. It's a CD to treasure and enjoy forever. With my heartfelt recommendation.

Oscar Peterson
Oscar Peterson
by Alex Barris
Price: CDN$ 23.91
13 used & new from CDN$ 3.57

5.0 out of 5 stars He Once Said: "I Am Not A Jazz Pianist, I Am A Pianist Who Plays Jazz", March 3 2008
This review is from: Oscar Peterson (Hardcover)
In my very own Jazz Dictionary, the definition of genius reads:

genius\'jé-nyes\proper noun: Oscar Peterson, Pianist, August 15, 1925 - December 23, 2007

Oscar Peterson died of a kidney failure at his home in Mississauga, Toronto on December 23, 2007. I'm deeply saddened and my heart goes out to his family, and my prayers as well. May his soul rest in peace.

Alex Barris' "A Musical Biography" is a well-crafted and informative biographical sketch of a legend of jazz piano, Oscar Peterson, who had inspired and influenced lot of great artists in the jazz scene. It is a very interesting read for any Peterson fan and I can strongly recommend it. The author is also a broadcaster at Canada's CBC-TV and Radio, and has written several books to his credit, and he's a member of the Order of Canada. And for those who are in doubt about the accuracy of every little thing that is written in this book, please read on . . .

On The Author's Credibility:

"Alex Barris replays the life and career of Oscar Peterson like Oscar plays the piano; deftly, fluidly and with unexpected, fascinating riffs. The master of the jazz keyboard is well served; so is the reader." ~ Sid Adilman, The Toronto Star ~

"Alex Barris negotiates the tricky issue of writing about someone he admires with earnest grace. The many quotes and anecdotes aren't window-dressing; they amplify Barris' plain-spoken prose as he explores Oscar Peterson, the musician and the man." ~ Katie Malloch, CBC's Jazz Beat ~

"Oscar Peterson is my hero. I've read good books about him before, but the insightful and delightful Alex Barris has, of course, nailed it. He's been there the whole time, watching Oscar happen. This is the one." ~ Tommy Banks , Jazz Musician ~

For someone who started piano lessons at an early age, he was classically trained but his first love was jazz piano. He rose to fame by his own merits - his adeptness at the ivories, his creativity in improvising, his love for beautiful music, and his dedication to his craft. All these made him a truly remarkable jazz legend of all-time and a genius of jazz piano. Here are some of the notable quotes from this book as quoted from his fellow artists, producers and musicians who greatly admired him.

"I have believed for many years that Oscar Peterson is not only the greatest pianist in jazz today, but the greatest it has ever known." ~ Gene Lees ~

"Oscar Peterson is my favorite all-around pianist. There are pianists I like because of one thing and pianists I like because of another. But overall, I like Oscar Peterson best." ~ Carmen McRae ~

"It has always been Oscar Peterson. He is my Rachmaninoff." ~ Shirley Horn ~

"I wish I could play with his right hand." ~ Charlie Parker ~

"Oscar Peterson plays the best ivory box I've ever heard." ~ Count Basie ~

"One should leave the piano when Oscar comes in. This man is dangerous." ~ Marian McPartland ~

Oscar Peterson is the world's definitive pianist . . . he is the Joe Louis of the piano." ~ Herb Ellis ~

"You're somebody that they just can't ignore. Not only jazz players pay you tribute, but classical players, too." ~ Duke Ellington to Oscar Peterson ~

"Peterson is surely the most articulate, all-consuming pianist since the late great Art Tatum, his undisputed idol. He is an artist not to be underestimated or missed." ~ Benny Green ~

"Get up from the piano ... Oscar is in the house. Who wants to be at the piano when Oscar is there? Find something else to do." ~ Benny Carter ~

"Oscar Peterson is the greatest living influence on jazz pianists today." ~ Herbie Hancock ~

"He's one of the few pianists who is representation of a whole symphony in texture when he performs solo." ~ Norman Granz ~

And here's an interesting anecdote . . .

Norman Granz gave Count Basie a watch and later bought it for $1,500 when Basie died and gave it to Oscar Peterson, who was so grateful saying . . . "Having Basie's watch means a lot to me."

And this is one remarkable and my favorite quote from one of the greatest jazz legends of all-time . . .

"I believe in using the entire piano as a single instrument, capable of expressing every possible musical idea. I have no one style. I play as I feel."

There's more to this book than just the quotes above that you'll find very interesting, some are never-heard-before, unpublished stories about some of his painful experiences in the early stages of his fruitful career. But nonetheless, Mr. Peterson took everything in stride, remained calmed and ultimately became not only victorious but prestigious as well. The fame and recognition he earned, not to mention the numerous honors and awards afforded to him worldwide, are unprecedented and unmatched, like his one-of-a-kind piano artistry. It's unparalleled and beyond compare.

I don't think there will be another Oscar Peterson in the making. Do you?

Romance Songs From The Heart
Romance Songs From The Heart
Price: CDN$ 17.97
16 used & new from CDN$ 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars "We're On The Road To Romance . . . That's Safe To Say", April 12 2007
"Here is a rejuvenated Sinatra - using his superb interpretative skills augmented by nearly forty years of life experience to convey his sorrow, his joy, his heartbreak in a manner at once uplifting and chilling. If there ever was such a thing as method singing, this was it." ~ James Ritz ~

Here's another treasure for Sinatra buffs - the latest compilation CD just recently released by Capitol Records consisting of twenty-one remarkable Sinatra staples, one of which is a previously unreleased alternate take of a gem of a song "Nice 'N' Easy." I would say that the alternate take is equally marvelous as the original recording. According to James Ritz on Liner Notes: "Fortuitously, the first line of that marvelous song's bridge also neatly sums up the objective of this collection: 'We're on the road to romance' . . . and for sixty years, no one navigated that road better than Frank Sinatra." That's very well said. Amen to that! Sinatra and his music epitomize romance in the real sense of the word. His music is not only songs from the heart, but also songs to the heart. Simply put, his music is from one's heart to another's heart. Heart to heart.

As a huge Sinatra buff, of course I have already listened and enjoyed all the songs here from various CDs from my collection, but it's always very nice to hear a new set of songs from the Entertainer of the Century compiled in one CD. The songs are taken from eleven different albums recorded between 1953 and 1961 and orchestrated by three gifted Sinatra arrangers/conductors namely Nelson Riddle, Billy May and Axel Stordahl.

If I have to single out any favorites from this collection, I would enumerate the complete track listing since all the songs are very impressive and my all-time favorites from the first track "I've Got You Under My Skin" to the last "If You Are But A Dream." This is such a beautiful song and very melodic. I just love this song - it is an adaptation from a classical piece by Anton Rubinstein, "Romance." This version was arranged and conducted by Nelson Riddle and recorded in 1957. The 1944 original recording was arranged and conducted by Axel Stordahl and was available on a CD format in 1995 on a 4-CD-set entitled "The Best of Columbia Years 1943-1952." I love both recordings for their arrangements and orchestrations are equally done in sheer beauty and perfection.

This is a superb collection that you do not have to skip any track but would certainly do a second or third round in one sitting. This is one of the nicest sets ever compiled. Added delights on Liner Notes are some black and white vintage photos of the Entertainer of the Century - I especially like the full-page photo circa 1950s with his hat on.

A pleasurable listening experience.

When I Look In Your Eyes
When I Look In Your Eyes
Price: CDN$ 9.97
65 used & new from CDN$ 0.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy, Sassy, Jazzy Music, May 13 2005
With her sultry voice, great piano skills and a Grammy to add to her name, Diana Krall is the Modern-Day Queen of Jazz. She performs with elegance and a style that is so distinctively her very own. Her adeptness on the piano is very impressive. What makes her an extraordinary performer is her ability to sing and play at the same time, and excel in both. What a great talent! The credit also goes to Tommy LiPuma, Johnny Mandel, David Foster, Eddie Karam, Al Schmitt and all the equally talented jazz musicians: Russell Malone (guitar), John Clayton (bass), Jeff Hamilton (drums), Ben Wolfe (bass), Larry Bunker (vibes), Lewis Nash (drums), Pete Christlieb (sax), Alan Broadbent (piano - track #13), Chuck Berghoffer (bass). Congratulations for making this recording a tremendous success.

This CD covers a repertoire of unforgettable classic melodies by the most brilliant songwriters of yesterday and today such as, George Gershwin, Irving Berlin, Cole Porter, Jerome Kern, Harry Warren/Al Dublin, and Ted Koehler/Harold Arlen. Likewise, Michael Franks and a budding songwriter Clint Eastwood, among many others.

My top favorite is "Let's Face The Music And Dance," which she delivers par excellence. With its Bossa Nova style and superb orchestration, it's the best interpretation I've ever heard. Other standouts are "I've Got You Under My Skin," "I'll String Along With You," "East Of The Sun (West Of The Moon)," "Let's Fall In Love," "I Can't Give You Anything But Love," "Pick Yourself Up," and of course "Popsicle Toes" (How can I not remember this song when I was a huge fan of Michael Franks in the eighties?) I have collected a number of his albums since "Art of Tea."

This CD is a treasure and the more you listen to it, the more enjoyable your listening experience will be.

Look Of Love
Look Of Love
Price: CDN$ 12.98
73 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Bestseller . . .'S Wonderful, 'S Marvelous!, May 13 2005
This review is from: Look Of Love (Audio CD)
After the success of 1999 Platinum-Selling album, "When I Look In Your Eyes," Tommy LiPuma came up with another bestseller, "The Look Of Love." It has an excellent repertoire of wonderful and infinite songs by famous composers from Gershwin, Carmichael, Mercer, to Bacharach. This album won the "Best Engineered Album" in the 2002 Grammy Awards.

Diana Krall's sophisticated and elegant singing style as well as Claus Ogerman's superb orchestral arrangement brings out the very best of the 10 songs in this album. These songs have been interpreted countless times but Diana's interpretations made them musical treasures of a lifetime. Every song is a gem from the first track, "'S Wonderful" to the last track, "Maybe You'll Be There." My personal choices are the very charming "The Look of Love," a Bacharach/David composition and the title track, Gershwin Brothers' "'S Wonderful," Hamilton's "Cry Me A River" and Mercer's "I Remember You."

There's no doubt that Diana Krall is the reigning Queen of Jazz. It would be great if she will include in her repertoire such lovely songs as "Taking A Chance On Love," "How Long Has This Been Going On," "La Vie En Rose, "The More I See You," "Night And Day," "Just In Time," "My Romance," "Lullaby of Birdland," "Till The End Of Time" (based on Chopin's Polonaise No. 6) and "Full Moon And Empty Arms"(based on Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2), to suggest a few. I'm sure she will do more than justice to these all-time favorites with her great voice and exceptional piano skills.

Very highly recommended!

Come Fly With Me [CD & DVD]
Come Fly With Me [CD & DVD]
Price: CDN$ 23.79
48 used & new from CDN$ 4.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Michael Bublé Shines Again!, May 13 2005
Michael Bublé shines again with this wonderful CD/DVD treat! Produced by David Foster and Humberto Gatica and backed-up by a full big band orchestra, this is a follow-up to his successful and most raved-about CD "Michael Bublé." Listening to the CD is just terrific with eight fabulous tracks, but the DVD is a real delight watching him perform twelve timeless classics and not to mention the interview footages in between his outstanding and remarkable performances.
One of the songs Mr. Bublé performed on the DVD is very memorable and brings back a lot of memories to me, "The Way You Look Tonight," which is my all-time favorite and so much a part of my life! And it is the very first non-classical piece that I learned to play on piano. I remember my sister Ruth arranged a medley of this lovely song with "Blue Moon" that we both loved to play together.
"The Way You Look Tonight"
~ Words and Music by Jerome Kern & Dorothy Fields ~
Someday, when I'm awfully low
When the world is cold
I will feel a glow just thinking of you
And the way you look tonight...
You're lovely, with your smile so warm
And your cheeks so soft
There is nothing for me but to love you
And the way you look tonight...
With each word your tenderness grows
Tearin' my fears apart
And that laugh that wrinkles your nose
Touches my foolish heart...
Lovely, never ever change
Keep that breathless charm
Won't you please arrange it 'cause I love you...
Just the way you look tonight.
Most of the songs performed have been initially recorded for the CD "Michael Bublé and re-recorded for this CD/DVD combo, with the exception of "Can't Help Falling In Love," "Mack The Knife," "You'll Never Know," "My Funny Valentine" and Sinatra's signature song and one of my all-time favorites, "Nice 'N' Easy," which he performed splendidly in every way. There's no doubt that Mr. Bublé is a total performer with his amazing stage presence and his marvelous voice, which is his greatest asset. He's gone a long way and as long as he keeps on recording beautiful music, he would be one of the best singers of our time!
I've ordered this CD/DVD combo from Amazon.com over a year ago and that makes this review a "late-bloomer" but as the saying goes. . . "It's better late than never!"
Strongly recommended!