Profile for Lloyd H. Wasser > Reviews

Content by Lloyd H. Wasser

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Lloyd H. Wasser "Kindle lover" (toronto, canada)

GMYLE (TM) Deep Purple PU Leather Magnetic Slim Fit Folding Folio Flip Case Cover Stand with Wake-Up Sleep function for ASUS Google Nexus 7 7" Android 4.1 8GB 16GB Tablet
Offered by Gigacity

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic case for the Nexus 7 - highly recommended, Sept. 27 2012
This case came today, and arrived fairly quickly after ordering. Nicely made but very well-priced. The case has magnets embedded in it, so the screen turns on and off automatically when you open or close the case. Nice! All cut-outs are well designed for access to all ports, volume switches, etc.

The case is also designed in a similar manner to apple's smart case - a triangular folding of the cover allows you to prop the Nexus 7 up in 2 different positions for typing or viewing. Great for using with a bluetooth keyboard OR for viewing a video withouthaving to hold the case in your hand.

The magnet setup is worth the price alone. PLUS this case comes in a pile of different colours.

Could NOT recommend this more. Awesome job by the manufacturer! Well done (and no, I don't work for the company - they're in the far east, I believe).

If you own a Nexus 7, seriously consider this extremely competitively-priced case. It is a winner.

GMYLE (TM) Super Slim USB 2.0 Mini Keyboard For Windows 7 XP Vista
GMYLE (TM) Super Slim USB 2.0 Mini Keyboard For Windows 7 XP Vista
Offered by Gigacity
Price: CDN$ 16.98
2 used & new from CDN$ 16.98

2.0 out of 5 stars not the best tablet for your money, June 28 2012
I had high hopes for the Klu android tablet but ultimately it wasn't the right product for my needs. Despite having some nice hardware features and a great screen display it did not meet expectations, from installing additional apps to finding a carrying case in the 8 inch form factor for it (all cases seem to either be 7 inches or 10-12 inches in size).

Asuxtek®10.2" Leather Case with Keyboard and Stylus Pen for ePad and SuperPad (BLACK)+stylus pen

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome case for a 10" tablet - excellent value!, June 13 2012
I just received this item in the mail direct from Hong Kong. Shipping was inexpensive, the item was well packed and padded and the shipping time was incredible, considering it came half-way around the world to reach me.

First off, the look of the case - very professional in design and more than suitable for business and social uses. SOme have complained about the build quality but I am not seeing those issues on the case I own.

Secondly, the USB-equipped keyboard. I really like it. I found the tactile feedback from the keyboard quite good and it's extremely easy to type on. Looks great,too. The keys sit almost flush with the case. Very nice looking and responsive.

Set up was easy: I took my Acer Iconia A500, placed it in the top portion of the case, bent the three holding clamps a bit closer to the Iconia so it wouldn't slide around, then took the USB plug and inserted it into the Iconia on the right-hand side of the tablet. Then turned my tablet on. Instant keyboard access! And no battery-draining bluetooth required either.

Don't be dissuaded by the product description on Amazon. This case should work just fine with most Android tablets, as it does with my rather bulky Acer Iconia A500. I assume other, similar-sized, 10+ inch tablets should work just fine.

HIGHLY recommend this case. They shipped it right away, it's a joy to use and really a nice package overall.

Le Pan TC 970 9.7-Inch Multi-Touch Google Android Froyo 2.2 OS
Le Pan TC 970 9.7-Inch Multi-Touch Google Android Froyo 2.2 OS
3 used & new from CDN$ 219.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Le Pan TC 970 - best to avoid this little tablet. It will only cause you heartache, May 22 2012
I REALLY wanted to love my Le Pan TC 970. When I saw it was the Amazon.ca deal of the week at the amazing price of $179.00 CAD I leaped at the chance to grab one. What a great price! But, wait... why so cheap? My spider sense should have warned me that if a deal is too good to be true, it usually is.

I received the Le Pan unit a few days later. It looked sleek! Nice and shiny with metal adorning it, it was also around the same size as the iPad, but seemed a bit sleeker than the original iPad model. I turned it on, eager to get started. Charged it up, then sat back to connect with my home wifi and download some apps.

That's where I ran into a major problem. The wifi would not stay "on". It kept switching off, and wouldn't scan for available wifi connections. I walked through every possible technique I knew to get this happening, including rebooting the little beast several times. Still no joy.

Then I started reading up about upgrading the OS and the ROM. Okay, I could live with Android 2.2 but I had to have workable wifi to get anything done.

By the middle of the weekend I had found a workable ROM update file, copied the three upgrade files to the root directory of the 2 gig flash card on my Le Pan unit, then followed the reboot and upgrade instructions in the FAQ. So far so good! Everything updated properly and I felt, for the first time, that I was making so some of progress.

But no luck. No wifi success. Not even with the update. I soon came to realize that the wifi was super-wonky, probably a bad component. Reading through the forum postings it seems my problem is a bit of an epidemic situation with the Le Pan. Either the units just stop working altogether or if they do turn on, you cannot connect to a wifi network you've had absolutely 100% success with when using any other device.

In my case, i've connected several iPads, a TouchPad, an Asus Transformer, Apple TV, iPhones, MacBooks, various laptops, Kindles, Kobo, etc, etc etc. NONE of them ever failed to find the network or connect up to it. I had even made my wifi an open signal temporarily, thinking, after reading some of the advice here, that it might help. No joy.

I tried once more this morning to get the wifi working by dropping in to my local McDonalds and buying a coffee and a muffin so I could sit there and test out their open wifi. No luck there either.

Sad to say, the unit was shipped back to Amazon this afternoon. Luckily Amazon has an excellent return policy (One of the reasons I purchase items from them) and I didn't get an argument from them about the return. It is winging its way back to them now.

Goodbye Le Pan TC 970. I really did try to have a relationship with you. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

My advice (after going through 4 days of wasted effort)? Avoid this product. It may treat you right temporarily, but ultimately it will abandon you. Or, like my case, it will refuse to accept your overtures of love from the outset.

On to my next bit of research in my quest to find a reliable, affordable Android tablet...