ARRAY(0xb39d096c)

Profile for docchalk > Reviews

Content by docchalk

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

docchalk (Toronto On)

The Beatles: On Air: Live at the BBC, Volume 2 (2 CD)
The Beatles: On Air: Live at the BBC, Volume 2 (2 CD)
Price: CDN$ 19.96
41 used & new from CDN$ 8.85

5.0 out of 5 stars That special feeling !, Nov. 14 2013
I have already listened to this double CD a few times now the days after the release . Firstly whom ever is going to buy this CD will more than likely already be a Beatles fan. So the debate about the music and how great it is , is not necessary. What strikes me the most is that goosebumps feeling you get while listening. A sound that can't be duplicated, can't really be discussed, but felt. You step back into time listening with a clarity though with imperfections, that allows the listener to understand what the fuss was all about. These young men created a new sound that literally changed the world. This give you a glimpse to why. We rarely get to hear the Beatles live without the screaming. This is how they sound as a real band without being in the studio. For those who appreciate this kind of listening experience, You will be rewarded immensely. There are other bands who have played more sophistically or with more complexity over the years but none match that quality of greatness or not sure how to put it in words, inner comfort, inner beauty that is felt when you hear The Beatles like this. Raw and stripped away with all the production that is now common place. For Beatle fans this set is a must. I was going to write my highlights, but the truth is they are all fantastic including the comical banter they have with themselves and the announcers.

Living In The Material World (Early Takes Vol.1 CD)
Living In The Material World (Early Takes Vol.1 CD)
Price: CDN$ 15.17
38 used & new from CDN$ 4.61

5.0 out of 5 stars My Sweet George, May 1 2012
How lucky we were to have George Harrison make such beautiful music in our lifetime. A great soul and fantastic musician. Although some of these outtakes have be bootlegged before on the Beware of ABCKO Cd. The new remastering and clarity of these tracks with him mostly singing with his guitar or with simple arrangements, is so heartfelt and joyous, you can't help from being transported. If you are a fan be ready to feel the love of why we still honour him All these years Later (Ago). I love every track but because I never heard his version of Let it Be Me before the DVD came out, this is a standout for me. Enjoy his unique gift of spirituality and breathtaking songs, a perfect companion to help lift your soul. Nameste .

The Tao of Daily Life: The Mysteries of the Orient Revealed The Joys of Inner Harmony Found The Path to Enlightenment Illuminated
by Derek Lin
Price: CDN$ 12.27
33 used & new from CDN$ 7.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read, April 13 2011
I've thoroughly enjoyed The Tao of Daily Life. Not only an easy read but a fun one as well. Simple stories with profound insight. What stands out for me is that you are able to remember the short stories and the visualizations , thus triggering the Taoist meanings behind them. I haven't experienced any profound changes as so many Self help books claim LOL !. But nonetheless this a book I will re read many times over to continually grasp the lessons. For relaxing and insightful reading I recommend highly. One particular story I'd like to share is the one about the two warriors fighting over a gold and silver shield. Both are of equal skill and strength and battle to a draw, over who should get the gold one. After exhaustion one of them flips over the shield to see they are both the same, silver on one side ,gold on the other. How often do we battle with people over greed, and righteousness without seeing the truth and ego-ness of our perceptions.

Power To The People: The Hits (Discovery Edition)
Power To The People: The Hits (Discovery Edition)
Price: CDN$ 14.99
41 used & new from CDN$ 5.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatness that has Touched our Lives, Oct. 30 2010
John Lennon's music, with The Beatles and his solo catalog, has touched our lives,like probably no other musicians music has in history. Half the world loved this man, while the other half deplored him (Go figure). Of course I'm in the half that feels I have been blessed to have John's music In My Life, All these years Ago. I've often wondered how I would have fared in this world without The Beatles and John's music. For it has shaped me, changed me and quite literally opened up my consciousness like no other form of influence. Quite frankly the pleasure of his music has brought my life so much joy, that no matter how many good deeds I try to do, I could never repay my gratitude.(Well maybe I'm a little exaggerating LOL !) That being said this collection of music is powerful comforting and teaches us to open ourselves to love fairness and tolerance. Every song is a musical classic,and the remastering is very good. Mind you , if you own the last set of remasters from the mid 2000's ,the sonic differences are not that noticeable . I have a decent stereo, I'm not an audiophile. I have a Denon receiver and Monitor Audio speakers. So for my taste I believe I have excellent sound . I bought this mostly to hear the differences between this and the other earlier remasters since I already own them. On its own it is excellent as I've said, yet I am left wondering that they could have made this collection mind blowing... but this isn't the case here. Still the music is what is important , and it would be worth owning even when listening on the cheapest equipment. It boils down to the greatness of John's music. Everyone knows the songs so I won't go into detail. I love every one of them on this collection. I will add though that Happy Xmas War is Over, still pulls my heart strings every time. John wherever you are, thank you with love a billion times over.

A Midwinter Night's Dream
A Midwinter Night's Dream
Price: CDN$ 16.47
18 used & new from CDN$ 14.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Balm for a Cold Winter's Night, Nov. 2 2008
Loreena's voice is that of an Celtic angel. So virtually anything she sings will sound beautiful. This Cd is no exception to the rule. If you are interested in listening to a Winters Holiday CD that will touch your soul from an inspired songstress, then look no further. Yes a few songs are repeated from her earlier Christmas Cd "To Drive the Cold Winter Away". But truly no matter, for the new ones make up for some of the beautiful repeats, if you feel you might not want to shell out the money for songs you may already own.. As a Canadian and someone who lives only an hour or so away from Stratford I feel a sense of familiarity and comfort from her singing. Which means I resonate with her style. For she blends mysticism and folk like no one else, without sounding to simple or poppy. Play it next to a fire, with guests, at home or on a cold snowy night in your car. Be prepared to be transported and uplifted. I guess you can tell I love this Cd. Enjoy !!!!!!!