Profile for celes1 > Reviews

Content by celes1

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

"celes1" (Havre de Grace, Maryland United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Battle Royale
Battle Royale
by Koushun Takami
20 used & new from CDN$ 8.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicting, June 11 2004
This review is from: Battle Royale (Paperback)
This is possibly one of the most addicting books I've ever read. I could not put it down! The interesting premise was well executed and I found each of the survival scenarios enthralling. You don't have to be an anime fan to enjoy this book. I'm a bit of a jaded anime fan myself and I loved it to pieces.

Boy Meets Girl
Boy Meets Girl
by Meg Cabot
Price: CDN$ 12.99
85 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not as good as The Boy Next Door., June 11 2004
This review is from: Boy Meets Girl (Paperback)
This book loosely ties in with The Boy Next Door but I didn't find it as enjoyable. The characters were fun as ever but I missed the all e-mail format. Switching back and forth between e-mails, diary entries, and recorded interviews didn't make the book feel very fluid. Don't get me wrong, I did like the book. If you liked The Boy Next Door then it's a good idea to pick this one up.

Circus of the Damned
Circus of the Damned
by Laurell K. Hamilton
Price: CDN$ 9.49
107 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The one that got me hooked, June 11 2004
Looking back many years ago to when I was reading this book for the first time, I think this is the one that got me hooked. This is partly because of the love triangle that is introduced and partly because this is where the series hits it's stride. This installment, more than any other, has the perfect blend of romance and plot. This is one of my favorites in the series and after four or five rereads it's still highly enjoyable.

Dead to the World: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel
Dead to the World: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel
by Charlaine Harris
Price: CDN$ 18.18
60 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not as good as the rest of the series., June 11 2004
I always enjoy this series but I didn't like this book quite as much as the others. Sookie's relationship with Eric got on my nerves a bit but I can't really say why without spoiling the entire book. Other than that the book was great. I really liked the sub plot with Sookie's brother. I hope the next book will have something on the Sookie/Bill relationship because that was pretty much ignored in this one.

Summers At Castle Auburn A Novel
Summers At Castle Auburn A Novel
by Sharon Shinn
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm really starting to like Sharon Shinn, June 11 2004
This is such a sweet book. I really enjoyed how the main character changed as she grew up. Her changing views on the people around her gave this coming of age story believability. I also liked the setting. It's was more of a historical setting than a fantasy one but the fantasy element was still there. I enjoyed this book so much I've decided to read anything by Sharon Shinn I can get a hold of.

Shakespeare's Landlord
Shakespeare's Landlord
by Charlaine Harris
12 used & new from CDN$ 0.02

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting start to the series., June 11 2004
This review is from: Shakespeare's Landlord (Paperback)
Usually the mystery genre isn't really my thing but this book is an exception. The mystery itself wasn't really anything special but the heroine is the most interesting character I've come across in a long time. I can't really say anything more about her without giving too much away. Fans of Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire series should give this series a try.

Avon True Romance: Nicola And The Viscount
Avon True Romance: Nicola And The Viscount
by Meg Cabot
28 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars It's cute but not as good as Meg's other books., June 11 2004
This one was ok but it wasn't really anything to get excited over. The romantic plot line was a lot like the one in The Princess Diaries which was ok with me. I wanted to smack the heroine a couple of times but I did like the overall plot of the book. It's worth a read if you like Meg Cabot or the Avon True Romance line.

Bloody Bones
Bloody Bones
by Laurell K. Hamilton
Price: CDN$ 9.49
104 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite, June 11 2004
This is one of my least favorite books in the series. It's not a bad book at all but I just don't like it as much as the others. The fairy sub plot didn't interest me at all and the vampire one wasn't much better. I liked how Anita and Jean-Claude's relationship started to change. I also liked how Larry and Jason got a lot of face time. (Whatever happened to Larry? Did he drop off the face of the earth or something?) Oh well, at least it made up for the lack of Jean-Claude in the previous book.

Joss Whedon: The Genius Behind Buffy
Joss Whedon: The Genius Behind Buffy
by Candace Havens
Price: CDN$ 9.05
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Joss Whedon: The Genius Behind Buffy, June 11 2004
Read this one in an afternoon and it kept me entertained throughout. It has a lot of highly amusing Joss quotes. The guy is genuinely funny. It was nice to learn about his movie career because I didn't know too much about it. It has a lot of great Buffy information but it could have used more on Angel. It has a section on Firefly even though it was written before the show aired. The section on Joss' Fray comic convinced me that I need to go buy it now. My only major complaints are that the writer misspelled a character's name and the lack of Angel information. Despite those flaws, any fan of Joss Whedon will enjoy this book.

Monster Island
Monster Island
by Christopher Golden
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good start, boring finish, June 11 2004
I really enjoyed the first half of this book. There were a lot of great character moments and it was interesting to see characters who weren't usually together interact. Buffy and Gunn's pissing contest was especially amusing. I also loved all the shout outs to Doyle. However, the second half of the book gets bogged down in the plot and it drags a lot. There were also a few major printing mistakes. One page is omitted entirely and another is printed twice. Still, the book does bring nearly the entire casts of Buffy and Angel together in a coherent and believable manner which isn't an easy feat. If you are looking for a good crossover book then you may want to give this one a try.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11