Profile for Pizard > Reviews

Content by Pizard

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Pizard (Ontario, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Mile High (Up In The Air Book 2)
Mile High (Up In The Air Book 2)
Price: CDN$ 7.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved the story!, Oct. 20 2014
I shivered sometimes at the cruelty handed out to Bianca by James' hands, all in the name of love. Yes, he loved her, but sometimes I did question his motives. He made Christian Grey look like a saint. That being said, it was a lovely story, especially the relationship between Stephan and Bianca. Theirs was a relationship that every woman should have.
I read all three books in the trilogy and my only criticism is, that the books could've benefitted from some judicious editing.

Eyes Wide Open: The Blackstone Affair, Book 3
Eyes Wide Open: The Blackstone Affair, Book 3
Offered by Simon & Schuster Canada, Inc.
Price: CDN$ 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Predictable and Repetitive, Aug. 6 2014
I wanted to know more about his time in Afghanistan, and I wanted to see him lying on a couch and getting rid of his demons. A little more about Afghanistan would have made it more interesting and help us to understand him better.

All In: The Blackstone Affair, Book 2
All In: The Blackstone Affair, Book 2
Offered by Simon & Schuster Canada, Inc.
Price: CDN$ 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Predictable and Repetitive, Aug. 6 2014

Naked: The Blackstone Affair, Book 1
Naked: The Blackstone Affair, Book 1
by Raine Miller
Price: CDN$ 10.83
33 used & new from CDN$ 3.27

3.0 out of 5 stars Predictable and repetitive, Aug. 5 2014
'Naked' was much too short and way too expensive. Although I read all three books and enjoyed them somewhat, I must say I was disappointed. I knew exactly what Ethan Blackstone would do when he walked in the door and exactly what he was going to say and do to Brynn. Christian Grey may have been a strange character, but he kept you on your toes. He was not at all predictable. Brynn and Ethan were good together, but he had a filthy mouth and his favorite pastime was sex and smoking those clove cigarettes.
Therefore I can only give this book three stars.

Female Nomad and Friends: Tales of Breaking Free and Breaking Bread Around the World
by Rita Golden Gelman

Eighty Days Red
by Vina Jackson
Price: CDN$ 11.99
17 used & new from CDN$ 2.72

1.0 out of 5 stars Could've been all said in the 2nd book of the series, July 12 2014
This review is from: Eighty Days Red (Paperback)
I have read all three books in the series. Eighty Days Yellow was very well written, and I'm not referring to the content. Could've been a masterpiece had it not been so dark. Eighty Days Blue was barely ok, but Eighty Days Red was too long winded and everything could've been said in Eighty Days Blue. I really had expected more from the series. What I found lacking was a bit of romance.
I disliked the heroine. There was nothing redeeming about Summer Zahova except that she was a great violinist. I tried putting a face to Dominik but couldn't. A university professor! What did he really look like? Sometimes I thought he was distinguished, but mostly I found him very perverted. And the end! A fairy tale ending? Hardly!
Summer just kept getting involved with dark characters like Victor, Viggo and Dominik who all used and abused her. And she was never paid for any of the perverted things she did.
Just wish these two authors had put together a better series. MUCH, MUCH TOO DARK!!!
Great writers. After 50 shades, I was expecting more than this.

Life of Pi
Life of Pi
by Yann Martel
Price: CDN$ 15.16
99 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Vivid imagination!, June 10 2013
This review is from: Life of Pi (Paperback)
Is it possible to write a novel about a boy lost at sea with a tiger as his only companion, after all the other animals were killed or devoured? Yes, because Martel has a vivid imagination and holds your interest with every sentence and every word and you somehow find yourself in the lifeboat with him witnessing all these macabre happenings. He tells the story like Aesop would have told it. It was a tale of survival which Martel so brilliantly depicted. However

Cutting for Stone
Cutting for Stone
by Abraham Verghese
Price: CDN$ 15.88
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.13

4.0 out of 5 stars A modern day Cain & Abel Story, June 10 2013
This review is from: Cutting for Stone (Paperback)
Loved the storyline...Indian nun goes into labour; She is carrying twins; her life is slipping away and she cannot be helped by the man who has impregnated her, the doctor/surgeon Thomas Stone who has disappeared. Hema the gynaecologist who was absent when the twins were born adopts them and calls them Marion and Shiva. There is a built in rivalry between the two boys and the situation worsens when Shiva falls for Marion's girlfriend.
Sounds like an unbelievable plot? They eventually find their father when Marion goes to the USA to work in a public hospital where he once again meets his girlfriend whose body is riddled with disease. He becomes ill after sleeping with her and can only be saved by a liver transplant. His life is now in the hands of two men whom he does not trust. His father the surgeon who is a genius and his traitor brother who is well read on diseases of the liver.
My only criticism of this book is that there is too much medical jargon and medical explanations were superfluous.

The Book Of Negroes
The Book Of Negroes
by Lawrence Hill
Price: CDN$ 15.64
58 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, June 10 2013
This review is from: The Book Of Negroes (Paperback)
I believe most of us were under the impression that when the American blacks crossed over into Canada by way of the Underground Railroad, that that was the end of their suffering. That was a myth. There was still hell on earth for many of these people who had suffered the indignity of racism. They had many new challenges especially those who continued the trek into Nova Scotia.
Hill brilliantly tells the story of the slave girl Aminata, stolen from Africa and sold in the slave market in the US south. It depicts the horror she faces when her child is stolen by a white couple in Nova Scotia and taken out of the country; of the death of the man she loved when the ship he was travelling, taking him to freedom, sank in a storm.
The story comes full circle when the Aminata and many of her fellow Africans are allowed to travel back to Africa. Fully expecting to be greeted with open arms, they find that they have traded one hardship for another.
Beautiful novel!!!

Born in the Briar Patch

The Garden Of Burning Sand
The Garden Of Burning Sand
by Corban Addison
Price: CDN$ 14.43
10 used & new from CDN$ 2.87

4.0 out of 5 stars The Forgotten Continent, May 13 2013
I have spent lots of time in Southern Africa especially in Zimbabwe. This book brings to light the sad situation that poor women and children face in Sub Saharan Africa. Although fictional, I was not at all surprised at the horrifying content of this novel. I noticed during my visits that not only men in power, but also powerful women treat the less fortunate with disdain. There is so much corruption and Corban Addison zeros in on the real problem that is perpetrated throughout the African continent. His research for this book is spot on. My only criticism is that with so much ugliness like HIV and rape etc. etc., that he had not balanced it out with detailed descriptions of some of the beauty of the country around Livingstone, like Vic Falls, the Zambezi River and the beautiful Baobab and Banyan trees. I also wish he had written more about the almost too amiable interracial relationship between Zoe and Joseph, a white American and a black African man.
Since I read the first book "A Walk across the Sun" I knew this was a must. I was not at all disappointed especially since he brought to light a subject which many of us in the Northern hemisphere are totally unaware of.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3