Profile for Pizard > Reviews

Content by Pizard

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Pizard (Ontario, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
Female Nomad and Friends: Tales of Breaking Free and Breaking Bread Around the World
by Rita Golden Gelman

Eighty Days Red
by Vina Jackson
Price: CDN$ 10.94
19 used & new from CDN$ 1.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Could've been all said in the 2nd book of the series, July 12 2014
This review is from: Eighty Days Red (Paperback)
I have read all three books in the series. Eighty Days Yellow was very well written, and I'm not referring to the content. Could've been a masterpiece had it not been so dark. Eighty Days Blue was barely ok, but Eighty Days Red was too long winded and everything could've been said in Eighty Days Blue. I really had expected more from the series. What I found lacking was a bit of romance.
I disliked the heroine. There was nothing redeeming about Summer Zahova except that she was a great violinist. I tried putting a face to Dominik but couldn't. A university professor! What did he really look like? Sometimes I thought he was distinguished, but mostly I found him very perverted. And the end! A fairy tale ending? Hardly!
Summer just kept getting involved with dark characters like Victor, Viggo and Dominik who all used and abused her. And she was never paid for any of the perverted things she did.
Just wish these two authors had put together a better series. MUCH, MUCH TOO DARK!!!
Great writers. After 50 shades, I was expecting more than this.

Life of Pi
Life of Pi
by Yann Martel
Price: CDN$ 15.16
86 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Vivid imagination!, June 10 2013
This review is from: Life of Pi (Paperback)
Is it possible to write a novel about a boy lost at sea with a tiger as his only companion, after all the other animals were killed or devoured? Yes, because Martel has a vivid imagination and holds your interest with every sentence and every word and you somehow find yourself in the lifeboat with him witnessing all these macabre happenings. He tells the story like Aesop would have told it. It was a tale of survival which Martel so brilliantly depicted. However

Cutting for Stone
Cutting for Stone
by Abraham Verghese
Price: CDN$ 15.88
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A modern day Cain & Abel Story, June 10 2013
This review is from: Cutting for Stone (Paperback)
Loved the storyline...Indian nun goes into labour; She is carrying twins; her life is slipping away and she cannot be helped by the man who has impregnated her, the doctor/surgeon Thomas Stone who has disappeared. Hema the gynaecologist who was absent when the twins were born adopts them and calls them Marion and Shiva. There is a built in rivalry between the two boys and the situation worsens when Shiva falls for Marion's girlfriend.
Sounds like an unbelievable plot? They eventually find their father when Marion goes to the USA to work in a public hospital where he once again meets his girlfriend whose body is riddled with disease. He becomes ill after sleeping with her and can only be saved by a liver transplant. His life is now in the hands of two men whom he does not trust. His father the surgeon who is a genius and his traitor brother who is well read on diseases of the liver.
My only criticism of this book is that there is too much medical jargon and medical explanations were superfluous.

The Book Of Negroes
The Book Of Negroes
by Lawrence Hill
Price: CDN$ 15.64
57 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, June 10 2013
This review is from: The Book Of Negroes (Paperback)
I believe most of us were under the impression that when the American blacks crossed over into Canada by way of the Underground Railroad, that that was the end of their suffering. That was a myth. There was still hell on earth for many of these people who had suffered the indignity of racism. They had many new challenges especially those who continued the trek into Nova Scotia.
Hill brilliantly tells the story of the slave girl Aminata, stolen from Africa and sold in the slave market in the US south. It depicts the horror she faces when her child is stolen by a white couple in Nova Scotia and taken out of the country; of the death of the man she loved when the ship he was travelling, taking him to freedom, sank in a storm.
The story comes full circle when the Aminata and many of her fellow Africans are allowed to travel back to Africa. Fully expecting to be greeted with open arms, they find that they have traded one hardship for another.
Beautiful novel!!!

Born in the Briar Patch

The Garden Of Burning Sand
The Garden Of Burning Sand
by Corban Addison
Price: CDN$ 14.43
11 used & new from CDN$ 2.28

4.0 out of 5 stars The Forgotten Continent, May 13 2013
I have spent lots of time in Southern Africa especially in Zimbabwe. This book brings to light the sad situation that poor women and children face in Sub Saharan Africa. Although fictional, I was not at all surprised at the horrifying content of this novel. I noticed during my visits that not only men in power, but also powerful women treat the less fortunate with disdain. There is so much corruption and Corban Addison zeros in on the real problem that is perpetrated throughout the African continent. His research for this book is spot on. My only criticism is that with so much ugliness like HIV and rape etc. etc., that he had not balanced it out with detailed descriptions of some of the beauty of the country around Livingstone, like Vic Falls, the Zambezi River and the beautiful Baobab and Banyan trees. I also wish he had written more about the almost too amiable interracial relationship between Zoe and Joseph, a white American and a black African man.
Since I read the first book "A Walk across the Sun" I knew this was a must. I was not at all disappointed especially since he brought to light a subject which many of us in the Northern hemisphere are totally unaware of.

Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World
Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World
by Rita Golden Gelman
Price: CDN$ 14.40
104 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it, Feb. 28 2013
At first I wondered why I had bought the book, but as I read I was drawn into her world of travel, especially when she wrote about Bali and New Zealand. I travelled with her every step of the way. Brought back so many wonderful memories for me. I'll be in NZ again next month and will be visiting the Coromandel Peninsula. I am taking this novel with me so I can look out for the places Mrs. Gelman visited.
Very well written. Thanks for a great travel book.

Wanderlust: A Love Affair with Five Continents
Wanderlust: A Love Affair with Five Continents
by Elisabeth Eaves
Price: CDN$ 15.12
51 used & new from CDN$ 6.92

2.0 out of 5 stars Was this really about travel?, Feb. 28 2013
This book did not at all appeal to me. I have the impression that the author was more interested in her conquests or being conquered than really tell about the experiences in the fabulous places she visited.

Waiting For The Monsoon
Waiting For The Monsoon
by Threes Anna
Price: CDN$ 15.64
13 used & new from CDN$ 11.43

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book., Jan. 15 2013
Threes Anna wrote a very compelling novel. I loved the twists and the turns especially between the dictator type father and the the husband still mentally tormented by the Japanese. It was very well written. There was sadness, joy, heartbreak, grattitude and deception.This novel is filled with all kinds of emotions. And poor Madan! Amazing how he and Charlotte communicates without a single word. This is a novel which should be on every bookshelf in every school.

The Time in Between
The Time in Between
by David Bergen
Price: CDN$ 15.16
25 used & new from CDN$ 1.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected!, Jan. 15 2013
This review is from: The Time in Between (Paperback)
Found the story line a little disappointing. I did not like the end and was not particularly fond of the characters.

Page: 1 | 2