Profile for Phoebe > Reviews

Content by Phoebe

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Phoebe (Montreal)

Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 16.65
33 used & new from CDN$ 7.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Brings the play to life, March 1 2013
Ce commentaire est de: Hamlet (Sous-titres franais) (DVD)
After teaching Hamlet to college students who had considerable difficulty understanding and appreciating Shakespeare's language, I showed this version of the play when it first came out on VHS, and the students loved it. The manner in which the actors, including Gibson, deliver their lines makes it very clear what each soliloquy and scene is about. I've used this version in several classes since then with students who could only be described as extremely unwilling to read Shakespeare, but they watched it, understood it, and enjoyed it. Afterwards, they had a greater appreciation of what they had read, and it truly did bring the play to life...for them and for me. For a popular audience, this version is a winner.

Rose: Cooking, Crafting & Cultivation 2013 Wall Calendar
Rose: Cooking, Crafting & Cultivation 2013 Wall Calendar
by Ann Lovejoy
Edition: Calendar
Price: CDN$ 10.36
2 used & new from CDN$ 10.36

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as colorful as I imagined., Jan. 11 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I really wanted a pink flower lift and bought this calendar to brighten up my office. However, with the exception of three or four pictures, the scenes and colors for the other months are disappointingly pale and dull--not what they appeared to be in the web photo. And February reminds me of a tacky funeral wreath! The two outdoor scenes look like they were taken on a cloudy day. Very un-cheery overall. From now on I'll just go back to buying the Teapot Calendar like I had before.

Nights in Rodanthe / Le temps d'un ouragan (Bilingual)
Nights in Rodanthe / Le temps d'un ouragan (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Richard Gere
Price: CDN$ 4.88
42 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The world is blue, Sept. 22 2012
This is an entertaining, Saturday night-type love story that you will probably enjoy if you don't think too deeply about it. Surprisingly convincing acting from Richard Gere and some really moving moments from Diane Lane. I actually bought it because I'm partial to movies that are set at the beach (The Outer Banks, N.C., in this case). I also liked the fact that Gere and Lane both have quite a few undisguised lines on their faces. They looked like real people, not movie stars. The ending was really touching, if not what I was hoping for. (No happy endings here, I regret to say.)

I did, however, find it odd that the clothes of the principal characters while in Rodanthe were always blue, from start to finish. I couldn't figure out why. In fact, everything in the movie was blue. Even the daughter's eyeliner on a close-up shot was blue. Now, I love blue, but I wasn't sure what point the director was trying to get across. There were also some pretty unrealistic moments, like when the kids came home and their mother was sitting at the kitchen table in a semi-catatonic state. Come on, now! We get that she's grief-stricken, but that was a little much. And Gere's son showing up so quickly with his box. And the mysterious herd of horses. These are the sorts of details that intruded on my viewing pleasure. But perhaps they won't intrude on yours.

So get your blue jeans on and hope your husband will watch it with you. Or not.

Ghosts Among Us: True Stories of Spirit Encounters
Ghosts Among Us: True Stories of Spirit Encounters
by Leslie Rule
Price: CDN$ 12.26
62 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection, Sept. 16 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I've read all of Leslie Rule's books and would recommend them to anyone who is interested in purportedly true stories about ghost sightings. I liked this one in particular because of the moving story about the Philadelphia artist who gives faces to people who died violent and disfiguring deaths. While there are some short tellings, as one reader observed, there are also many longer stories as well. And unlike a previous reviewer, I did not notice any egregious grammatical errors.

I can say, with confidence, that you will not be disappointed.

The Castaways: A Novel
The Castaways: A Novel
by Elin Hilderbrand
Price: CDN$ 12.99
86 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, Sept. 9 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: The Castaways: A Novel (Paperback)
I'll have to get rid of this one secretly, so that no one knows that I actually read it.

Imagine this: a group of middle-aged people calling themselves "The Castaways." How silly is that?

Here I was recently defending Silver Girl from negative reviewers, but this novel really is rubbish. The characters are uninteresting, and in some cases, downright unpleasant,and the multiple points of view that the author adopts in every single novel, with each chapter being told in the third person from the perspective of a different character, have become tiresome, especially in a book where so many of the voices sound alike. Finally, the big "secret" that is supposed to be behind the boating accident is really nothing much at all, and the "friend" indirectly responsible gets off far too easily, from a moral perspective, enabling the author to tie up all the loose ends quickly, if not very believably.

Although I still think Silver Girl is a worthwhile read, I certainly won't bother with another Hilderbrand novel.

Silver Girl: A Novel
Silver Girl: A Novel
by Elin Hilderbrand
Price: CDN$ 18.80
61 used & new from CDN$ 0.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing character study, Aug. 1 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: Silver Girl: A Novel (Hardcover)
Elin Hilderbrand does an excellent job making her characters interesting and believable. I started this novel not expecting the main character, Meredith, to be in any way sympathetic, and although she is certainly flawed, as the story progesses, it's possible to understand her psychology, even as we criticize and condemn her choices. As for Meredith's husband, the Ponzi scheme operator, I appreciated the way that his motives were explored solely through Meredith's consciousness, causing him to remain something of a mystery to the reader, just as he does to the wife who thought she knew him best. I did, however, grow a little tired of the constant flashbacks, and although I understand why this method was used, at times it would have been preferable for the writer to have provided more straightforward--and immediate--answers to questions raised by the narrative, rather than making us wait many chapters to come to the point. Finally, and this is probably just me, I really disliked the scene with the the dead animal. (If you've read it, you'll know what I mean.) I know it was intended to shock, which it did, but it nearly caused me to put the book away. Overall, however, it was a novel that gave me something to think about, suggesting that Hilderbrand is more than simply the writer of frivolous "beach fiction."

Moen DN6724BN 24-Inch Danbury Towel Bar (Brushed Nickel)
Moen DN6724BN 24-Inch Danbury Towel Bar (Brushed Nickel)
Price: CDN$ 29.79
3 used & new from CDN$ 27.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant and expensive-looking, July 23 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
When I couldn't find what I wanted in any of the hardware stores, I purchased these beautiful, brushed nickel towel bars from Moen at Amazon. Very classy, well-made, remind me of pewter candlesticks--just the look I was striving for in a new bathroom with vintage features. And not only were they a better price than the hardware store, I received free shipping on them as well.

Moen YB5408BN Kingsley Pivoting Paper Holder (Brushed Nickel)
Moen YB5408BN Kingsley Pivoting Paper Holder (Brushed Nickel)
Price: CDN$ 38.63
5 used & new from CDN$ 38.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, July 23 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
My husband warned me about buying hardware items like the Moen Kingsley towel bars and pivoting paper holder from the internet, without seeing them first, but when I couldn't find what I wanted in stores, I went ahead and bought them from Amazon, proving him wrong, once again! The pivoting paper holder was about $25.00 cheaper than it was at Home Depot, and I didn't have to pay shipping. It's also a beautiful product; I bought it in the brushed nickel, and it's really elegant, with a soft shine, and the pivot was a revelation! (Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but after years and years of changing toilet rolls on an old-fashioned toilet roll holder, this is so easy.) All in all, I couldn't be more pleased with my purchases: They're beautiful, well-made, and look like they'll last a long time.

Moen YB5424BN 24-Inch Kingsley Towel Bar (Brushed Nickel)
Moen YB5424BN 24-Inch Kingsley Towel Bar (Brushed Nickel)
Price: CDN$ 45.31
7 used & new from CDN$ 45.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and beautiful, July 23 2012
I was looking for brushed nickel towel bars in a classic design at my local hardware stores and the selection was very limited (as is typical of stores in Montreal!). They were also really expensive. Not only was this exactly what I wanted, but it cost less at Amazon. I can't speak to how easy the product was to install, as a carpenter put them up for me, but they look great and seem as though they'll last a long time.

The Historian
The Historian
by Elizabeth Kostova
Price: CDN$ 14.43
74 used & new from CDN$ 0.52

2.0 out of 5 stars Violent and disturbing, July 10 2012
Ce commentaire est de: The Historian (Paperback)
I came upon a used copy of this novel, The Historian, and was immediately intrigued by the narrator and the situation (a professor goes missing amidst the story of an historical mystery). However, I was shocked and horrified by the graphic descriptions of Vlad the Impaler's deranged and bloody deeds and the two fictional murders. I stopped at the second murder and decided that I could not read more. The book, however well-written it may be, was too troubling for me. I've put it away and won't attempt it again. There's simply too much repulsive detail for my taste, although from other reviews I've read, it seems that I'm alone in this feeling. For what it's worth, read it if you aren't squeamish or overly sensitive to violence.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5