Profile for Lady Sam > Reviews

Content by Lady Sam
Top Reviewer Ranking: 849

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Lady Sam (100 Mile House / BC)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Orchard Valley Brides: Norah\Lone Star Lovin'
Orchard Valley Brides: Norah\Lone Star Lovin'
by Debbie Macomber
Price: CDN$ 9.49
99 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Bloomfield Tale, Sept. 12 2014
Having read Orchard Valley Grooms - the story on how the older two Bloomfield sisters found love - I simply had to find this book in order to find out the story of sister number three. And it involved a nice little twist ...
I have definitely come to love Debbie Macomber's writing and this book is no different. Her style is straight forward and her characters fleshed out to the nines - another author who's stories are often so involving and intriguing that I simply could not stop reading until I got to the end. This was also the case with book one of the Bloomfield sisters, covering high-powered business woman Valerie meeting her equally workaholic doctor husband to be as well as impulsive world traveller Steffie making up with old flame Charles, editor and now publisher of the town paper. Here, Nurse Norah having remained single and determinately so, but newly 'psychic' daddy David knows better. So, Debbie Macomber is covering her story here and ... but that would spoil the twist.
As with book one, there are also two stories included in book two - and since there is only one sister left, a nurse friend of Norah's is to find her life mate. However, the beginning of Sherry's tale almost put me off from actually reading it - essentially, if the reasons for her initial move had been explained right away that would probably have made the 'introduction' of her character much more palatable. As is, the story di turn out to be as involving and intriguing as the Bloomfield sisters in the end - courtesy of the brilliance of author Debbie Macomber.

Holiday in Death
Holiday in Death
by J D Robb
Price: CDN$ 8.99
116 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Winner, Sept. 12 2014
It took me quite a while to actually find a copy in the first place and, boy, was the effort worth the time spent! I love the 'In Death' series overall, however, this is definitely one of those books that stand out.
It's one of the early tales in the series, with the main characters still being established. Dallas, Lieutenant Eve herself is still finding her 'married feet' as well as relationships in general which is somewhat difficult and new territory for her as she never really had friends before bar one or two outside her precinct. On top of that - it's Christmas time which brings additional pressure and novelty of having to buy Christmas presents for everyone, again something very alien to this level-headed homicide cop.
Whatever it is, I found this tale very encompassing and intriguing, and simply could not put the book down until I read it cover to cover. It includes all - from mystery and suspense to comical to heartfelt, it is all right there, together with the awkwardness of trying to find a way from 'social outcast' to 'socialite' for lack of a better word.
The case itself is also rather heart-wrenching and full of the usual 'red herrings' where J D Robb aka Nora Roberts is concerned. The storyline includes a number of interesting sub-plots with the actual culprit remaining a mystery right to the end. Nonetheless, it all makes sense and comes full circle in the end.
The main subject - lonely hearts - perfect for our 'anti-social' heroine. While she may have found her 'dream guy', others that are seeking love in order not to spend Christmas on their own are being targeted - a theme that touches so many on different levels which also prevails throughout this novel. Essentially, the author has outdone herself writing this particular adventure. Yes, it really is that good!

Realm Of Shadows
Realm Of Shadows
by Heather Graham
Price: CDN$ 8.54
55 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Reissue of an Earlier Work, Sept. 12 2014
This book turned out to be part four of six of the 'Alliance Vampires' series and one of the earlier works of Heather Graham. It shows.
White the writing itself is as competent as always - this is after all a very gifted author we are talking about - the characters are fleshed out and the locations described to make the reader feel s/he is actually there. However, he way the story was laid out is somewhat disconcerting. Let me explain what I mean by that.
There are quite a number of people involved in the storyline that are introduced - some directly and some more obscurely. There are the main characters that are named and described right away but then Heather also introduces shadowy folk who appear to have no connection to the mystery at hand. So far, so good - this is, after all, a suspense novel. What did irk me after a while was that the story of one person was described and, after only a few pages, someone completely different and, at times, unrelated became the focal point. And after going through this 'procedure' a number of times and never really getting much of anyone's point of view before the next section came up, made the reading in general somewhat difficult and tiresome - especially trying to remember everything that is happening, where, when and to whom. To put it simple - the story does feel 'hacked' and in pieces at times.
Don't get me wrong - the tale itself is interesting and intriguing, and I am glad to have persevered to read the entire book. I have to admit though that there were times when I was tempted to simply read the end and be done with it. Well, as already mentioned, this series was published a while ago and Heather Graham has definitely 'honed her skills' in the meantime. All in all, the book is well worth reading and rest assured that all 'leads' will come together in the end and make sense.

Waking the Dead
Waking the Dead
by Heather Graham
Price: CDN$ 17.52
32 used & new from CDN$ 5.32

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little Bit Different Than Usual ..., Sept. 1 2014
This review is from: Waking the Dead (Hardcover)
The books I have read thus far by this author were either about the Krewe of Hunters or individuals hunting criminals in the same fashion. Waking the Dead somewhat deviates from this, which the main characters not actually communicating with the dead even though the story itself still falls under the paranormal. It is also based on a background of history - this time a painter meeting literary men and women in Switzerland during 1816, plus, as is so often the case in Heather Graham tales, it is based in New Orleans.
Apparently, this is a series in itself - albeit, this is the first in the series that I have come across - and is sub-titled 'A Cafferty & Quinn Novel'. It seems that both Danielle Cafferty and Michael Quinn get together to solve crimes when they are somewhat unusual. They also have a number of friends they work with, such as a former drug addict, an old business partner, a catholic priest and a voodoo priestess. That mix in itself promises to make any storyline interesting, so let's throw in a wolf to round the team up. And, yes, they all get involved.
As always, Heather Graham spins a wonderful tale that has the reader guessing what's coming next and who's involved right to the end. And while I may have suspected the culprits a little earlier than I was supposed to this time round, it still made for very compelling reading from beginning to end. Happy Reading!

Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy
Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy
by E L James
Price: CDN$ 12.96
313 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing Series ..., July 23 2014
There was such a hype about this book and its two 'follow-ups' completing the trilogy that I finally succumbed and started reading. To be perfectly honest, I almost stopped after about a hundred pages but am now glad I didn't.
Why did I almost give up on the novel? Quite frankly, it did look and feel like a man taking full advantage of a young and rather confused woman - something that happens all too often in real life, something I did not really want to 'experience' in my reading. However, as it turned out, there was a great deal more about and within Anastasia Steele than meets the eye and she started to stand her ground. In retrospect, she actually always did - right from the start, even if it had not been obvious. The man, in return, instead of looking for another 'victim' started to adjust to the situation and, if not exactly face, at least he openly acknowledged his 'demons'.
This is an exceptionally moving story of two people meeting unexpectedly and experiencing the emotional rollercoaster ride of trying to adjust to one another and getting to know each other despite their obvious differences. Add childhood issues (on both sides), innocence and money into the mix, and you have the basis of Fifty Shades of Grey.
E L James created a masterful story with in-depth exploration of issues that are usually 'not talked about' and spun it into an intriguing and compelling tale. The main message - in order for ANY relationship to last and flourish, communication with one another openly and honestly is an absolute must!
I am glad to have persevered and read the entire story of Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey, and am now looking forward to reading Fifty Shades Darker and, eventually, Fifty Shades Freed, which, no doubt, will answer further questions about Christian Grey's demons ...

Here Comes Trouble: Stories from My Life
Here Comes Trouble: Stories from My Life
by Michael Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars I was not sure whether I would 'bother' reading the entire 400+ pages and now I am very glad I did, July 18 2014
Whether you see Michael Moore as a 'Rebel with a Cause' or simply a 'Troublemaker' - truth is that his work (be that film or literary) does make waves and creates headlines. Whether you 'approve' or not, he makes his views known and, essentially, reveals what is going on in the corporate and political world.
In Here Comes Trouble, the reader gets a glimpse at Michael Moore's childhood and early years right up to his first movie screening in form of short stories out of his life. Mind you, the very first tale is the one when he stood on stage in Los Angeles, accepting his Oscar and muttering those 'infinite' words - we live in fictitious times ... with a fictitious president just over a year after 9/11, when everybody still believed that Bush had done the right thing by invading Iraq as well as the aftermath of his infamous speech resulting in people not wanting to have anything to do with Michael Moore ... to put it mildly. However, as we do know in the meantime, this did not stop him from doing what he's doing - both in pictures and the written word.
His sub-title - Stories From My Life - are truly that, 'excerpts' from his life and most interesting and intriguing ones at that. Did you know that Michael Moore actually met Bobby Kennedy as a young boy while visiting Washington DC? That and more is masterfully interweaved with playing pranks and making silly mistakes as a young man - something we probably all can remember doing. However, this author/filmmaker soon decided to uncover what he perceived as wrong-doing that nobody else would do or say anything about. And this book shows the way Michael got into what he is doing now and why.
To be perfectly truthful, when I first started reading, I was not sure whether I would 'bother' reading the entire 400+ pages and now I am very glad I did. It's always interesting to learn about the life of intriguing characters, especially well-known ones, and this man certainly is both and is good at what he is doing.
Thank you very much, Michael Moore, for this frank and straight forward recount of your life thus far. Now I am looking forward to reading more and maybe even catching up with a movie or two ...

Llewellyn's 2014 Astrological Calendar: Horoscopes for You Plus an Introduction to Astrology
by Llewellyn
Edition: Calendar
Price: CDN$ 11.67
14 used & new from CDN$ 3.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Year after Year ..., May 29 2014
Ever since discovering the Llewellyn Astrological Calendar I have been buying it every year since and have not regretted it one little bit. Every month, there is a general horoscope to be read - I generally do so at the beginning of the month and again when I feel I need a reminder - but more to the point, it keeps the owner updated on planetary movements and aspects as well as the moon cycles. It even appeases of planting and fishing dates ... which is something I have not quite figured out yet but others may well have. In any event, it's there if you need and/or want it. :)

Emma
Emma
DVD ~ Douglas McGrath
Price: CDN$ 6.98
7 used & new from CDN$ 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Jane Austen Great, May 29 2014
This review is from: Emma (DVD)
While I am generally not into period drama - mainly because women are generally 'traded' and have no real power of their own - Jane Austen stories I do love and Emma is no different.
Gwyneth Paltrow, being such a diverse actress, appears in her element as the only unmarried daughter of a wealthy gentleman who sees herself as something of a matchmaker. What she cannot see, however, is that love is staring her in the eye and not only from one of the suitors she tries to kindle with her lacking of fortune friend she basically introduced into society.
Jane Austen - never married herself though she is rumoured to having been engaged at one point - definitely has a knack of writing intriguing stories that seem to translate so beautifully into successful movies. And although her stories always appear to involve a love story or more, the social standing of especially women in the time she lived are predominant - together with the fact that the only way females could 'survive' was by either marrying and becoming 'property' of a man away from daddy or by the good grace of others taking care of them. Nonetheless, her tales are always uplifting, no matter how low the heroine or others have to fall to actually get there. And, I guess, nothing much has really changed in the years since where feelings and emotions are concerned ...

The Holiday (Widescreen) (Bilingual)
The Holiday (Widescreen) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Kate Winslet
Price: CDN$ 7.00
19 used & new from CDN$ 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, May 29 2014
Yes, I know, a lot of people rate this movie not very highly - I on the other hand simply love it! It is simple and straight forward and incorporates love in so many different ways, your head starts spinning. And, according to this movie, the saying is right - love will find you when you least expect it.
The general storyline to touch but quickly - two women break up with their relevant beaus and feel the need to go somewhere over the Festive Season. So, they exchange their homes for two weeks - one being a mansion in Los Angeles, the other a cosy cottage in Surrey/England. And that's all there is to it.
A word to the various 'kinds of love' - there is the one-sided/taking advantage type, the being taken for granted, brotherly, caring for a kind older gentleman, friends ... and the romantic/real kind we all seek. These are all incorporated into this one movie and then some. Just look real close and you'll see them all.

Mirror, Mirror
Mirror, Mirror
by J. D. Robb
Price: CDN$ 8.54
118 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairy Tale Galore!, May 29 2014
I really liked this book - for the most part anyhow. I am always amazed when I come across stories that are based on something else and then 're-engineered' to sound like something completely different.
The first three shorts by J D Robb, Mary Blayney and Elaine Fox had me eagerly reading the night away. JD's 'in death' series continues with a short based on Hansel and Gretel, with its usual bite and the reader's wondering about the outcome right to the last page. I have also come across Mary's magical coin before and while I realised pretty quickly what was going on, it was still a delight going on the rollercoaster ride of the how ... with a nice little twist at the end. Elaine's Sleeping Beauty was just compelling from page one to end, with a beautiful and unexpected slant to the whole story.
Mary Kay McComas chose a fairy tale that was too filled with negativity right from the beginning for my taste and also reminded me too much of 'real life events'. To be perfectly honest, I only read the first few pages and the ending, going back to the middle at some point and have no read desire to go back and read the whole. From what I read, she is a good writer and all, it's simply the storyline that did not appeal to me but may to others.
Finally, R C Ryan's plot of Cinderella was once more intriguing with an interesting storyline on so many levels ... only to fall flat right at the end. A HUGE explanation was promised ... that simply never came. Also, the stepmother and stepsisters seemed pretty much abandoned with me wanting to know what happened to them and how they took 'Cinderella's awakening'.
Overall, each and every author in this book did a grand job and the book was a very easy read, and filled with intrigue, 'who dunnit' and 'what's next' components. I simply love books containing various short stories and thus introducing readers to new/different writers that they may not, otherwise, have picked up on. Let's face it, we often pick books because we have read stories by certain authors before. This is a wonderful way to get introduced to somebody new we might be interested in reading more of and, to be perfectly honest, I am intrigued into reading stories of all of the aforementioned writers whether I liked the particular story chosen or not.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9