Profile for Amy, Tatting & Cosmetics Host, Wedding Guru > Reviews

Content by Amy, Tatting &...

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amy, Tatting & Cosmetics Host, Wedding Guru

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Complete Idiot Guide Sewing
Complete Idiot Guide Sewing
by Lydia Wills
20 used & new from CDN$ 2.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed overall . . ., Nov. 17 2000
After buying my first sewing machine I wanted a book to teach me the basics. Unfortunately I found this book to be haphazardly organized, putting some techniques in the front of the book that I, as a beginner, was not ready to use or learn. Sidebars and diagrams can be helpful when used properly, but there were so many in this book that they were distracting. I found the section on how to organize your sewing space to be useful, but otherwise, I'm still looking for a good book on sewing basics. This isn't it.

Quilting For Dummies
Quilting For Dummies
by Cheryl Fall
20 used & new from CDN$ 3.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners!, Nov. 17 2000
This review is from: Quilting For Dummies (Paperback)
I'd learned how to make a basic sampler from a pamphlet-type book, but I still had dozens of questions that were left unanswered. I found the answers to nearly all of them in this book and am using it to help me with my first full-sized quilt. The writing style is easy to read, the diagrams and color photos make great illustrations, and the sixteen sampler projects are good beginner-type designs. I liked the given options for applique and making the binding, as well as the list of internet resources in the back. Project-wise, this is good for beginners or those who like small projects, but it is an excellent reference for quilters of all skill levels.

Tatting Hearts
Tatting Hearts
by Teri Dusenbury
Price: CDN$ 5.22
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Valentine's Day, other holidays . . ., Nov. 17 2000
This review is from: Tatting Hearts (Paperback)
the twelve heart designs in this book are all attractive, but they do involve split rings. If you haven't learned how to do split rings yet, then you'll want to master them before picking up this book. Most of the patterns are rather involved, but there are visual diagrams given to help you along the way. My favorite is the Heart Frame, great for framing a photo of a loved one or pet. I would have liked to see a few smaller, simpler patterns along with the complicated ones, but if you're looking for hearts, this is the book to buy.

Tatting Doilies and Edgings
Tatting Doilies and Edgings
by Rita Weiss
Price: CDN$ 6.18
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for making things for your home . . ., Nov. 17 2000
this book includes some very pretty doilies (I tatted Whip Cream Frill in white and it was beautiful) along with other doily-like patterns that are meant for use around the house. It's obvious from some of the designs that they're from another time period (1920s-1940s); there's not much call for 'luncheon sets' or chair antimacassars anymore, but those older patterns can be adapted into placemats or doilies. No visual patterns, and all the designs are written in short form, but none of the patterns are incredibly difficult. The edging patterns are nice but nothing out of the ordinary.

Traditional Tatting Patterns
Traditional Tatting Patterns
by Rita Weiss
15 used & new from CDN$ 3.38

5.0 out of 5 stars A favorite among the Dover tatting books,, Nov. 14 2000
this volume has a wide variety of patterns for tatters of all skill levels. Traditional Tatting Patterns features one of my favorite doily patterns (Party-Time Doily), as well as the Pretty Petal Doily and the Fairy Tale Doily. There are also a number of beautiful edgings that are mostly different that what you see in other tatting books, along with baby designs (bonnet, booties, bib edging), a collar, luncheon sets and a cute tatted alphabet. If you're looking for an inexpensive book with a nice range of patterns, this is the book for you.

Tatting with Anne Orr
Tatting with Anne Orr
by Anne Orr
16 used & new from CDN$ 18.60

4.0 out of 5 stars More than 100 designs, mostly for beginners, Nov. 14 2000
This review is from: Tatting with Anne Orr (Paperback)
Most of the patterns featured in this book are at the beginning tatting level: there are more than 40 medallions and more than 40 edgings. Some of the patterns are very unusual (triangular motifs) and all of them come in varying shapes and sizes, especially the edgings, which range from narrow to very wide. The other designs consist of four round doilies, several rectangular mats, a few patterns involving tatting attached to linen, two baby bonnets, baby booties, a luncheon set and a few collars/yokes. All of the patterns are written in shorthand. Though they have a definite old-fashioned look, the patterns would be a good addition to any tatter's library.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1)
by J.K. Rowling
196 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The one that sucked me in . . ., Nov. 14 2000
I picked up my sister's copy of this book while visiting my parents and read the first chapter on a whim. When it was time to leave I had to smuggle it out of the house because I couldn't imagine not finishing it on the trip home! I've heard others say that compared to the rest of the series, this book is bogged down in exposition, but I enjoyed learning about the background and setting for this story. Though I have never stopped reading children's books, I haven't had such an incredible children's-book experience since Roald Dahl's "James and the Giant Peach." I found the ending of the story inspired and the whole experience left me yearning for the next 'installment.' Thanks, Harry and Ms. Rowling, for bringing magic back into children's literature.

Woman's Face (Chic Simple): Skin Care and Makeup
Woman's Face (Chic Simple): Skin Care and Makeup
by Kim Johnson Gross
37 used & new from CDN$ 0.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Some good information, but more of a coffee-table book,, Nov. 14 2000
this book is big on graphic presentation and stylish layouts with some helpful skincare and makeup guidelines. Skin types are broken down into just dry, oily, normal and sensitive (most women have skin that falls into more than one of these categories). There are some good suggestions for what color cosmetics to wear depending on your hair coloring, but skin tone is probably more important than hair color when it comes to choosing colors. There are nice basic instructions for makeup application and how to pick the right red/brown/etc. for your coloring, as well as a checklist of makeup and tools.

How Do Astronauts Scratch An Itch
How Do Astronauts Scratch An Itch
by David Feldman
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the person who's always asking 'why?', Nov. 14 2000
My husband picked up this book on a bargain table---he always wants to know why things are the way they are, and this book answered a lot of his questions. The author has done a lot of research into the hows and whys of everything from why the letter 'x' is used in algebra to why potato chip bags are hard to open, and many more questions I hadn't even thought of. I only wish the book was divided into general categories, but it's just as fun to read it straight through and stumble across all kinds of interesting facts. A good read for inquisitive people of all ages.

365 Ways To Cook Chicken Anniversary Edition
365 Ways To Cook Chicken Anniversary Edition
by Cheryl Sedeker
Edition: Spiral-bound
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like chicken you can't go wrong, Nov. 14 2000
with this excellent collection of recipes. My husband bought me a copy for Christmas before we were married---he's not crazy about red meat and I don't like pork, so we meet in the middle with chicken. But every cook knows that chicken recipes can get a little boring after awhile. I was tired of chicken and noodles, chicken and rice, chicken cordon bleu . . . this book rescued me just in time! Our favorites are the recipes for boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but we also enjoy the Oven-Fried Garlic Chicken.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3