Profile for Wolfe Moffat > Reviews

Content by Wolfe Moffat

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Wolfe Moffat (Franklinville, NY)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Mere Christianity
Mere Christianity
by C. S. Lewis
Price: CDN$ 13.36
73 used & new from CDN$ 4.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Hats off to a legend, as we go back to the basics!, July 17 2004
This review is from: Mere Christianity (Paperback)
There is the story told of a teacher instructing a martial arts class. 2 of the class mates are squaring off. The one boy doesn't have the training as the other does, although he's giving it everything he has. He's pretty much throwing every bit of technique at the advanced student as he can, and yet he still continues to get beat. The teacher finally pulls the less of the 2 students off to the the sides and says, "I know that you are as tough as nails. I know what you know. Perhaps if you went back to the basics, it might not be so difficult." The boys line up and square off. They circle each other. The lesser student finds his opening, BOOM!!! The other kid is sprawled out on the mat.
C.S. Lewis takes us through the basic points, and BOOM!! He floors us with what we thought was just going to be, "Mere Christianity." He wrote this back in the 1940's, yet he used a language that we can all understand, yet you have to take the time to comprehend what he's saying. I looked at this as a complex book on simple issues, and it constantly hit me between the eyes! There are places where you see God in a whole new light. It is like you've never seen it in such a perspective, yet now you find yourself amazed. His illustrations are very simple, yet sometimes you might want to read it again to get the full understanding of what he is saying. Then read it again, and smile, and praise God for this wonderful work! People have labeled this as "The most important book next to the Word of God." It just might be. And it is just the beginning.
C.S. Lewis used to be an atheist, and when he gave his talent to God, he became one of the most influencial writers that Christianity has ever seen! Folks, this is what happens when people might say, "God can't use that." And then God looks at what appears to be impossible and says, "Let's see what I can do!" Did people back then think that a former atheist could pull something like this off? This is just 1 of many wonderful works that Lewis has accomplished for the Kingdom of God! And it is so beautiful. Hats off to a legend!!!

Woodsong
Woodsong
by Gary Paulsen
Price: CDN$ 8.99
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who have ever loved dogs!, July 14 2004
This review is from: Woodsong (Paperback)
This is a classic tale for anyone who has ever loved dogs, or, to be more specific, any particular dog. I can say that this is also an icy tale that will actually take your breath away as Paulsen describes some of the conditions he's been in with his sled dogs. This is the true story of how he survives in the Minnesota wilderness, and then takes on the bigtime, The Iditarod in Alaska!
When you read this, there are times when you will probably feel different things. Like the feeling some people have had (I have personally) of losing a pet. Or at times, you laugh at the hilarity of some of the things that pets will indeed do that leave you laughing so hard that it almost brings you to tears. Paulsen brings this to life only in the way that he has always used to tell a story. I love it how he describes his, and every man's greatest fear when in The Iditarod, is to scratch. When Paulsen describes this, he compares it to being a leper! He loves his dogs, and talks about how they are practically insane to run. He slightly haunts us with stories of hallucinations as a result of sleep deprivation! Yet, he also describes his most human side throughout the race, describing a cup of hot chocolate given to him by a beautiful blonde. Or how children from the Shageluk school made a pot of Moose chili especially for the mushers, and how he ate 19 bowls because it tasted so great, and then suffered the wonderful indigestion as a result. It is those stories and more, that make this an easy classic, and a read that you find hard to put down!
I first read this about 10 years ago. It still is easy to pick up, and enjoy it from page 1. Awesome work!

Silence Is Madness
Silence Is Madness
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 54.95
3 used & new from CDN$ 48.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Only true Bride fans need apply!, July 13 2004
This review is from: Silence Is Madness (Audio CD)
Bride at their best! Bar none! This starts off with the guitar hot and the drums fresh with "Fool Me Once", and they really don't stop for air. Dale and Troy are both awesome. Dale, awesome lyrics! This is classic old school Bride! With tracks such as "All Hollows Eve", and of course the title track, "Silence is Madness." Dale and crew confront the enemy head on with daring track like "Evil Dreams" and then blows everyone away with such as "No More Nightmares".
Actually, I got mine as a limited edition as a birthday present. I still can't get enough of this CD!! YEAH!!

Jonah: Veggietales Movie [Import]
Jonah: Veggietales Movie [Import]
DVD ~ Phil Vischer
Price: CDN$ 10.69
29 used & new from CDN$ 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The question is, "What did YOU learn?" A lot of fun!, July 9 2004
The question is, "What can I say?" Even for a Veggie Tales movie, I love taking it in with my little girl. I do not get sick of it, not at all. And it is well worth the lesson learned throughout the film. I think it is just as entertaining as "Harry Potter", which I refuse to watch, or even read for that matter. The people behind Veggie Tales are just awesome, because they are not looking for credit, and they deserve a lot. They do so much for God's kingdom! They don't ask for the world, yet they reach the world, and this generation of our children, and even some of the adults who need a wake up call every now and then!
I love how they made someone such as Archibald Asparagus the character of Jonah. But yet it still has Larry the Cucumber, Bob the Tomato, Pa Grape, and even a silly caterpiller to stick with Jonah, almost all the way! The song at the end (Jonah Was a Prophet) should hit home with everyone, not just as a "lesson", so to speak, but also as a song of fun and entertainment. All of the songs are wonderful, as the movie begins strictly on a fun note with "Billy Joe McGuffrey" and everyone cutting up and just having a blast in the van on the way to the Twippo concert. It also it gives me a very sobering look at myself and how many second chances I've had in my pathetic life! Yeah, I actually admit that! I've come a long way in 29 years. God is so good to us, let's not take that for granted. That's another thing that this movie very strongly states. (Don't you get it?!) I still have a long way to go.
Compassion and mercy, and a whole lot of fun! And you have to watch the movie all the way to the very, very end, especially the credits!! HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY!!!!!!!! HEY HEY, OH HO HO!!!

Shadows of Legion
Shadows of Legion
by Vernon Buford
Price: CDN$ 20.10
11 used & new from CDN$ 9.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Good debut. Some intense moments!, July 9 2004
This review is from: Shadows of Legion (Paperback)
After a somewhat melancholy beginning, Vernon Buford is a welcome addition to my book shelf. Shadows of Legion is the first of a trilogy.
Join Scott Macklin, Father Los Cruzado, Douglas Prichard and Rachel Walters as they begin the quest to take on the forces of darkness. But unlike Frank Perett or Parker Hudson, Vernon Buford tackles a subject in spiritual warfare that I've never seen, Legion. They are many, yet they are one. This reveals some heart pounding suspense that will hit many between the eyes. Crisp words combine with fresh hope, and a Savior who we can trust and have faith in when things sometimes go so wrong! But then again, Jesus is there in the good times and the bad, amen?
Vernon Buford. Who can forget a name like that? It is a name, that I hope won't go away quietly. I can't wait to read more by this man!

Odd Thomas: An Odd Thomas Novel
Odd Thomas: An Odd Thomas Novel
by Dean Koontz
127 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Odd? Oh yes, and thrilling as well!, July 2 2004
His name is Odd Thomas. He works as a fry cook. And he leads an unusual life in Pico Mundo, California. This was my first Dean Koontz, and it is for sure off the beaten path of what I'd normally read. I wasn't so sure at first, yet I loved it! It lifts your spirits, yet it kills you. No perfect ending, and that's what made it all the more easy to say, "It is just a novel", yet in a sense, it is life. And you can sit back and just say, "WOW!!"
Odd sees dead people, but sometimes, he does something about it, and does it well. He is also an excellent fry cook. If you ever happen to be in a restaurant and hear, "Two cows, make 'em cry, give 'em blankets, and mate 'em with pigs," that'll mean 2 hamburgers with onions, bacon and cheese! Hilarious! But along with the humor, you see a humble, yet zealous side of Odd. And, other than his day job, Odd hangs out with the king, Elvis! The chief of police relies on him sometimes. With friends like Little Ozzie, a rather big dude with six fingers on one hand, and a soul mate like Stormy Llewellen, Odd goes through life and does his thing. He feels it is destiny to be with Stormy forever. Little Ozzie is often challenging Odd with quotes, keeping the mind fresh at all times. But, you can't help but feel sorry for the poor cow! (You have to read it to find out!)
But there is something very evil going on. What is Odd Thomas to do to stop it? What is it? What will happen? Odd knows it can't be good, but what it is, he can't be certain. Is it just him, or will something terrible strike the simple little town of Pico Mundo?
This was a heart pounding suspense story about life and love! Very chilling, yet thrilling. BRR! Good chills! I just sometimes wonder why I hesitated to check out Mr. Koontz sooner! Can't wait to read more.

The Lasko Interview
The Lasko Interview
by Clay Jacobsen
Price: CDN$ 18.99
18 used & new from CDN$ 0.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard hitting., June 29 2004
This review is from: The Lasko Interview (Paperback)
This was a good beginning for Clay. But my biggest mistake was reading "Circle of Seven" and "Interview With the Devil" before I read this one. So, being a little spoiled with Mark Taylor's military background, along with tough personality, this was still good Clay Jacobsen quality. This is the beginning of Rick Treadway's story. It also is the end of the story for one Wade Bennett. It appears to be a suicide, and the case looks to be closing fast. Although you can see that it was his first book, he had a good rhythm going from the beginning.
Now, while there is no Mark Taylor, there is Rick Treadway, and those who have read "Circle" and "Interview" prior to this will recognize his name. Like I said above, I made the mistake of reading the other 2 prior to this one. Well paced, well thought out, one I think that any fan of Clay Jacobsen will most certainly appreciate.
One thing that was interesting enough was the lesson in this book itself. It was how Rick made a concrete commitment with Jesus, and his understanding the church as one. This is not only a good thriller, but a book for some who might have said, "That's the Pastor's job." It gives a good message that we are all called to minister. Good job, Clay!

Sinbad's Guide to Life: Because I Know Everything
Sinbad's Guide to Life: Because I Know Everything
by Sinbad
Price: CDN$ 23.96
51 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh a minute along with lessons in life. Awesome!, June 25 2004
This is just great humor and great insight from an awesome comedian. He most certainly delivers the hilarity, but there are a few somber times in the book where he is real, very real and takes a serious approach. He speaks highly of his dad, which I respect for 2 reasons. For one, if you have an awesome dad, like I do, and Sinbad does, you should express it. The second reason is because like myself, his dad is a preacher, and wanted nothing but the best for his boy.
I guess I would suggest to read the book, not buy it on audio, because the person doing that might expect a stand-up comedy performance, and that isn't what this is about. With that said, however, it is very funny most of the time with the Sinbad humor that people all across the country have grown to love! If you love Sinbad, you'll love reading his book. He also teaches us lessons throughout the book about not taking ourselves too seriously. Have some fun while reading this book!

Red
Red
by Ted Dekker
25 used & new from CDN$ 1.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Is Ted Dekker hot? No, he's RED hot!, June 23 2004
This review is from: Red (Hardcover)
With 2 down and 1 to go, man, Ted Dekker leaves the reader in suspense! Thomas Hunter continues his quest along with Monique to eliminate the Raison Strain. Dekker writes at a panic driven speed, along with a sense of urgency, and then leaves the reader saying something like, "WHOA!" and it just keeps getting faster!
In this book, you will finally understand the meaning of the circle. In this book, you will understand what The Great Romance really means. And yes, you will know what Red means. The question is, are you ready for it?
Ted Dekker is Red hot right now, and after watching some counter punching a little with Black, I'm ready for the knock out punch that'll floor us all! There was a lot more detail in this, that was what I really liked. Black was awesome, but left you ultimately wanting more. Well, he gives you more with Red, saying, "Oh yeah!!" White indeed will be something to buckle your seatbelt for, because this time he ain't stopping until the ride is over! VVROOM!!!
This was awesome. So, to everyone who's read up to this point, Elyon's strength!

Cadillac Jukebox
Cadillac Jukebox
by James Lee Burke
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 8.55
73 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Swamp Cajun action!, June 18 2004
Well, this was my first Burke book, and to say the least, it probably won't be my last. I was introduced to Detective Dave Robicheaux for the first time, and I enjoyed it. In this mystery you find that the question is about Aaron Crown, and why so many people want him dead. Join Dave as well as Clete Purcel as he squares off with Budford and Karen LaRose, tries to find out information about Mookie Zerrang!
So sit back, relax and enjoy some crawfish and something cold to drink along with this book as you read some swampy Cajun action all around the bayou! Makes an interesting read, and leaves you wanting to read more by James Lee Burke! Well done, noble mon.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9