Profile for C. A. Luster > Reviews

Content by C. A. Luster

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

C. A. Luster "The Rook" (Burke, VA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Incredible Journey, the
Incredible Journey, the
4 used & new from CDN$ 67.07

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Animals, July 10 2004
This review is from: Incredible Journey, the (VHS Tape)
I was lucky enough to see this with my whole family when it was first released. I bought the VHS copy since the DVD is not available yet. I will give Disney a little credit though, they are finally starting to release some of their classic movies on DVD. I miss the days of Disney movies drawing the whole family to the theater for wholesome entertainment. It is rare that they do that in this age of dysfunctional families and kids with attitude to others. Somewhere along the line they got the idea that kids think this makes them look cool. Well the first time they get out on their own and they mouth off like that to the wrong person they find out how uncool that can be.
This movie is so far above the remake it makes you wonder how Disney's staff keep their jobs. If you want a movie you can let the whole family watch and enjoy together be sure to get this one. The scenery, acting, and the animals themselves are great. When I was a kid we got a Siamese and named him Tao because of this movie. The quality of this VHS is good. I look forward to the DVD release for better picture and sound and hopefully some extras. If you have seen the remake I'm sure you will be presently surprised when you see this version. The remake tried to hard to be funny and it just isn't.

Metro (Bilingual)
Metro (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Eddie Murphy
Price: CDN$ 5.00
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth What I Paid, July 7 2004
This review is from: Metro (Bilingual) (DVD)
First, this is not Murphy's best movie. It is however a very good movie. Not predictable as some believe. The bad guy is especially well known from other similar roles. So do expect some nasty treatment to people. I for one kept expecting his partner or girlfriend to be killed. I wasn't exactly on the edge of my seat, but you will have to wait till the end to see if they survive. The rest the cast does a good job of support.
Second, I paid about half of what Amazon is selling this movie for so I don't feel cheated at all. I bought this for little more than the price of a rental so I went in with few expectations. With Eddie Murphy in it I figured I wasn't taking much of a chance. I was glad to see I was right. Their are several other recognizable people in the cast. Picture and sound quality was excellent. The directing, sets, and music are all as good as you will see in most movies. I imagine if it had just a little better story with more Murphy comedic antics it might have been a hit. This is pretty much a serious role. I bought it thinking I would probably watch it once and give it away, but I ended up sticking it on my shelf for future reviewings.

Joe Dirt (Bilingual) [Import]
Joe Dirt (Bilingual) [Import]
DVD ~ David Spade
6 used & new from CDN$ 2.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Mophead, June 30 2004
Okay some people like "Dumb and Dumber" and I wonder why. Well they are certainly entitled to their opinion. After laughing so hard at this movie I have to admit I see their point. Let's face it their are some goofy movies that may not have great acting or even much of a story but they are just plain funny. Any fans of movies like "A Night at the Roxbury", "The Waterboy", and "Deuce Bigolow, Male Gigolo" should find this funny. Certainly fans of Saturday Night Live should like it. I have seen men, women, kids, and even grandparents laugh at this one. Considering they made a TV series based on this type person, it must have had something people liked. At least rent it, I don't think you will be disappointed.

School Of Rock (Special Collector's Edition)
School Of Rock (Special Collector's Edition)
Offered by vidco
Price: CDN$ 16.32
24 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Read Tom Harrison's Review, June 30 2004
I just watched this movie again. I had rented it awhile back and then purchased a copy and watched it today. I was set to write a review here but I wanted to see if I could add anything to the other reviews. I can't. Tom Harrison's review in particular sums it up masterfully. Jack Black was right on the money in this performance. It was like he was meant for it. He will have a tough time beating it with his next film. But then again I thought that when I saw "Shallow Hal" and he showed me he could do more. Don't miss this movie, unless you hate comedies with a real story and acting.

Disney's Holes (Bilingual)
Disney's Holes (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Sigourney Weaver
Price: CDN$ 6.25
30 used & new from CDN$ 1.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The Curse of Stanley Yelnats III, June 30 2004
This review is from: Disney's Holes (Bilingual) (DVD)
This is one of the best adventure/drama/comedys that Disney has ever put out. Everything just seems to come together. Jon Voight as Mr. Sir and Sigourney Weaver as the Warden of Camp Green Lake add a real touch of Comedy with their over the top performances. Voight's expressions and looney hunting of deadly Yellow Lizards will have you rolling on the floor. Weaver will have you shaking your head wondering how can a woman be so evil.
The boys at Camp Green Lake all give awesome performances as well. Stanley Yelnats aka "Cave Man" does a wonderful job of showing us the pain and joy of a young man that just can't seem to get a break. "Zero" shows us that no matter how berated you are by peers and adults there is always hope and friendship to be found. Squid, Armpit, ZigZag, Magnet, and X-Ray are great in their support roles.
The background story behind why the warden wants holes dug all over the desert is one of the best I have seen. In fact it is pretty much a movie on it's own. It is like getting two movies for the price of one. I have to say I sure hope to see more Disney movies like this and "Pirates of the Caribbean". They are both excellent films and have me anxious to see what is next. The DVD picture and sound quality are great and it includes commentary, documentary, gag reel, deleted scenes, music video, and more.

River Rat, the
River Rat, the

4.0 out of 5 stars Raging River, June 24 2004
This review is from: River Rat, the (VHS Tape)
It is always a treat to find movies like this one. When it first came out I happened to rent it because I like Tommy Lee Jones and Brian Denehy. I certainly wasn't disappointed, they are both fine actors. In fact if you haven't seen everything they have made you have probably missed some of their other gems that are not well known like this one. Martha Plimpton does an excellent job as Jone's daughter. Any fans of movies like "The River Wild", "Cape Fear", and "Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken" should enjoy it.
When Jone's reunites with his daughter after many years absence and takes her on a river trip down the muddy Mississippi, more than the river is murky. His past plays a pivotal part in deciding their future. A cunning killer wants something that he has and will do anything to get it. They must rely on their wits to escape certain death. It becomes obvious they will be tracked no matter where they go and must find a way to stop the killer once and for all.
This story is strong in many ways. The loving relation between father and daughter and the passion of a murderer make it a winner. The setting on the Mississippi river adds a bit of Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn that we love. The directing by Thomas Rickman is very impressive. The acting, music, and scenery are great too. I highly recommend this movie. I will buy this on VHS if I can't get it on DVD just because it is well worth owning. My whole family loves this movie.

Nate and Hayes
Nate and Hayes
Offered by vidsale
Price: CDN$ 26.95
5 used & new from CDN$ 18.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Pirates Pilfer Plenty, June 23 2004
This review is from: Nate and Hayes (VHS Tape)
I had this on Beta years and years ago. Why this isn't out on DVD by now is beyond me. Any fan of Tommy Lee Jones should love it. Fans of adventure and pirate movies will enjoy it as well. Jones and Michael O'Keefe are a good team in this lighthearted action movie. The story, acting, music, and directing are borderline great. Unfortunatly it didn't catch on at the time of it's release and most of the following is people that lucked upon it on TV or at a rental store.
Any fan of movies like "The Three Musketeers" or "The Mask of Zorro" will probably enjoy it. A great adventure movie with a mix of Indiana Jones and Pirates. We can only hope with the release of movies like "Cutthroat Island" on DVD this won't be overlooked since it is a notch above several all ready available.It may not measure up to "Pirates of the Caribbean" but it still has a good deal of fun and action. There are no great special effects, just a good story and some decent acting.

Rumours
Rumours
Price: CDN$ 23.65
28 used & new from CDN$ 5.45

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Album in 30 years, June 10 2004
This review is from: Rumours (Audio CD)
I have heard numerous albums and groups over the last 30 years and to me, this is one of the best albums. Only a couple albums by the Beatles in the 60s could give this a run for the number of hit songs. At the time the album was released they received numerous accolades and ever since then this album stands out through their break-ups and make-ups. Every fan of the band has the original. Fans and new people to the group should love this Remastered Dlx edition. Anyone that likes rock should add this to their collection. I will be surprised if you don't listen to the whole CD and not just a couple songs on a regular basis. Many people transfer singles to a CD for their listening pleasure. This is one CD I can't see pulling a song or two from. I love the whole CD. The sound is incredibly crisp and gives the feel of being surrounded by the music.

Weekend at Bernie's (Widescreen)
Weekend at Bernie's (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Andrew McCarthy
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 26.27
8 used & new from CDN$ 14.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Comedy, Light Fun, June 10 2004
The cast is perfect and the sets, music, and all that went into this movie seem to meld to make a very funny movie. Andrew McCarthy as Larry Wilson and Jonathan Silverman as Richard Parker are a good match for co-workers at an insurance company. Larry the brown nosing party man and Richard the hard working nerd. When Richard discovers a two million dollar mistake in claims their boss Bernie invites them over for the weekend to discuss it. What happens after that is sick, demented, and funny. Any fan of "8 Heads in a Duffel Bag" and "The Whole Nine Yards" should enjoy it. This is one of those rare movies were seeing a dead person being lugged around, beat up, dropped, bareface ski, washed around in the tide, shot, strangled, and more is just plain outrageously funny.

Magnum, P.I.: The Complete First Season
Magnum, P.I.: The Complete First Season
DVD ~ Tom Selleck
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 13.99
18 used & new from CDN$ 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars See you in September, June 4 2004
I'm sure we can't wait till September and the release of the first season of Magnum on DVD. I for one pre-ordered it here at Amazon since forty-one dollars and ninety-nine cents for a whole season of Magnum is a steal. The shipping was even free. I hope it is not to late for the person that paid two hundred to stop their order for a transfer of VHS tapes of the show to DVD. This is by far one of the best detective series or overall television series I have seen. This is a show that you never get tired of seeing over and over. The cast and stories made it very watchable. Add in the gorgeous Hawaiin scenery and it couldn't be beat. Someday I hope that we may see Simon and Simon on DVD as well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20