Profile for Jason Ding > Reviews

Content by Jason Ding

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Jason Ding (Ottawa, Canada)

Discosis
Discosis
Offered by Aux 33 Tours
Price: CDN$ 9.99
20 used & new from CDN$ 0.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly amazing, Sept. 25 2001
This review is from: Discosis (Audio CD)
I bought this CD after reading the reviews on this site and was even more impressed than I thought I would be. This album is truly a gem; it is incredibly well-done, original, and, best of all, it succeeds in being original.
The CD has 17 tracks and all of them are well done. Unlike most albums, it doesn't go downhill after the first few tracks. Every song is unique and different in its own right, and everything comes together well. My favourite songs would be Astounded, Loop Me, Speed and Love Cliche, though everything on the whole album is well done.
The only downside is that the vocal talents of BV3 pale in comparison James Di Salvio's songwriting skills. Most tracks have lead vocals doen by performers outside of the group, but the vocals that are done by the members of the group do seem to lack some liveliness. They are good, but not up there with the best.
Aside from that, though, this is an incredible album. It's definitely one of the best CDs that I have. Rarely do you find an attempt at creativity working out as well as this has.

Subject To Change
Subject To Change
Offered by dodax-online
Price: CDN$ 5.38
21 used & new from CDN$ 3.62

5.0 out of 5 stars A few standout tracks, Sept. 19 2001
This review is from: Subject To Change (Audio CD)
Being a Vanessa-Mae fan, I picked this up the first time I saw it in a store without reading any reviews. I have her previous album, Storm, and after listening to this, my first impression was that it was much better. She is a very fine violin player but what I find stands out the most are her songwriting skills, best shown on tracks like Yantra, Night Flight and Destiny. What is a shame though, is that aside from those tracks, it seems like the rest of the songs are all space-fillers and really lack any effort in the making. Perhaps it would have been better if she did some more classical remakes like on her previous pop albums instead of using original tracks.
Also, like a previous reviewer felt, I thought it would probably have been better if she stuck to the violin and away from the microphone. She has a beautiful voice, but it is not really suited to the tracks on this CD.
Nonetheless, despite its problems, I enjoy it very much, and although I find there are a lack of good songs, the few that are here are so amazing that they are worth the whole import price of the CD. It's a great getaway from all the other all-too-similar pop out there.

Elementary Linear Algebra
Elementary Linear Algebra
by Bernard Kolman
Price: CDN$ 112.95
15 used & new from CDN$ 4.79

2.0 out of 5 stars Concise, but does not explain things clearly, Aug. 26 2001
This textbook was used for the 1st year algebra course that I took and it gave me a pretty rough time. It's nice because it covers a lot of topics, but it has one weakness: the explanations are very poorly written, and from a student's perspective, they are very difficult to understand. All explanations of the various subjects are accurate, but they seem to be written from a viewpoint which seems to be geared towards not students but those who have already understood the material. Most of my friends taking the same course also felt that this textbook was extremely lacking. Please, if you're a professor, do your students a favour and choose a different algebra textbook than this one!!!