Profile for Jeff > Reviews

Content by Jeff

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Jeff (Pittsburgh, PA USA)

Freaky Deaky
Freaky Deaky
by Elmore Leonard
24 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful page turner, Nov. 10 2002
I read this book in one sitting as I could not tear myself away from it. Mr. Leonard is a great writer heeding tot he old E.B. White rules from Elements of Style - omit needless words. He mixes drama with probably the best dialogue writing.

Carter Beats the Devil: A Novel
Carter Beats the Devil: A Novel
by Glen Gold
37 used & new from CDN$ 2.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read, Nov. 1 2002
Kudos to Mr. Gold for creating a wonderful world that sucks you in from the beginning to the end. I believe the greatest compliment you can give a novel is saying that it is a page turner and this ladies and gentlemen is a page turner. Make sure you're sitting down when you read this or else you'll walk into a wall

Stein On Writing: A Master Editor of Some of the Most Successful Writers of Our Century Shares His Craft Techniques and Strategies
by Sol Stein
Price: CDN$ 14.43
38 used & new from CDN$ 8.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not write another word until you read this book!, May 13 2002
An absolute eye opener. I never realized how much I did not know about writing until I read this book. I quit writing for a few days until I could read the book so that I understood everything that Mr. Stein was trying to get across. Just one read through has improved my writing tremendously and I plan to reread this book every month until it all sinks in.

Murder At Wrigley Field
Murder At Wrigley Field
by Troy Soos
27 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Good combo of baseball and mystery, July 23 2001
Mr. Soos does a very good job with the plot by not trying to cram too much into the book. Youc an follow the plot lines yet still be surprised at how it turns out. A little light on the baseball part but it doesn't hurt the book at all.

Baseball Dynasties
Baseball Dynasties
by Rob Neyer
Price: CDN$ 20.79
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps settle that age of question, June 25 2001
This review is from: Baseball Dynasties (Paperback)
Messers Neyer and Epstein go to great lengths to show what made each team great and why they selected the team that they di as the Greatest of all-time. Even though the depend heavily on numbers they make them simple enough to understand and appreciate.

Whitechapel Horrors
Whitechapel Horrors
by Edward B. Hanna
21 used & new from CDN$ 1.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful tale, June 25 2001
This review is from: Whitechapel Horrors (Paperback)
Excellent weaving of fact and fiction by Mr. Hanna. Has the authentic feel of a Sherlock mystery. Great work!

The Revenge of the Hound (Sherlock Holmes)
The Revenge of the Hound (Sherlock Holmes)
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pickup to where Sir Conan left off, Feb. 26 2001
As with all non Doyle books about Holmes I am always hesitant to buy one for fear that it will not come close to the original but I am glad that I bought this book. Mr. Hardwick does a great job with his writing style in that you forget that you are reading a Holmes book authored by someone other than Mr. Doyle. Finished it in two days as it was that good.

Death in the Steel City
Death in the Steel City
by Thomas Lipinski
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new detective to follow, Dec 26 2000
Great story as the plot was tight and nicely tied together at the end. Looking forward to the other's my Mr. Lipinski.