Profile for Rec Puyol > Reviews

Content by Rec Puyol

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Rec Puyol "Interceptor" (Canada)

Cheers - The Tenth Season
Cheers - The Tenth Season
DVD ~ Ted Danson
Price: CDN$ 18.98
24 used & new from CDN$ 15.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Just plain funny, Sept. 27 2009
This review is from: Cheers - The Tenth Season (DVD)
I can only say good things about Cheers. Season 10 was just one more for us fans to enjoy and it did not disappoint. I only wish there was something on TV these days that could make me laugh as much.

Caligula [Blu-ray]
Caligula [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Malcolm McDowell
Price: CDN$ 26.99
17 used & new from CDN$ 22.48

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many cooks..., Sept. 27 2009
This review is from: Caligula [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Once you see the special features of this movie and see what a mess it was to produce, you can understand why it sometimes seems like a mess when watching it. Given that this is based on something that happened two thousand years ago and little is known about Caligula, it is hard to determine how accurate the movie really is. But if the intent was to show the insane side of Caligula and the decadent side of Rome then this film has certainly captured that - although sometimes in a manner that is too graphic for my taste. The Blu-ray version of this movie is an improvement over the DVD version (and disc 2 is actually a DVD, not Blu-ray). However even so, this is the worst video quality I have seen on a Blu-ray to date.

The Seventh Seal (Criterion Collection)  [Blu-ray]
The Seventh Seal (Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Max von Sydow
Price: CDN$ 36.99
17 used & new from CDN$ 29.67

5.0 out of 5 stars A true masterpiece, Sept. 27 2009
Despite what might sound like dark and depressing topic this movie is actually quite entertaining and I even found myself laughing a few times. This classic has received much praise throughout the years and I must agree with it all. Criterion has once again done a phenomenal job with the Blu-ray release. When you consider the age of the film and the even older equipment used to make it, the video quality is impressive. The special features are plentiful, including a feature-length documentary on Ingmar Bergman.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Only slightly better than the DVD, July 7 2009
I already had the DVD recut version and decided to get the Blu-ray version as well since this is one of those movies that I like to watch periodically. Unfortunately I didn't find the video quality significantly better than the DVD version. It turns out that by watching the DVD version again I realized the DVD quality is already top-notch. Chances are that on a smaller TV I would not have noticed the difference at all. With the exception of two bonus features, you get the same ones as the DVD version (and in the same standard definition). The movie itself is certainly worthwhile, as it is the best graphic novel adaptation I have seen to date. And one nice little feature on the Blu-ray disc is that you can play the four stories of the recut version in chronological order.

The Wages Of Fear - Criterion Collection [Blu-ray] (Version française) [Import]
The Wages Of Fear - Criterion Collection [Blu-ray] (Version française) [Import]
DVD ~ Yves Montand
Price: CDN$ 41.99
17 used & new from CDN$ 29.67

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best releases I have seen on Blu-ray, July 7 2009
You would think a movie that is two and a half hours long could not be entertaining from start to end, but this one kept me thrilled the whole way through. You feel the pain and desperation of four men who are simply trying to earn a living - but by driving trucks filled with nitroglycerin they are faced with life-threatening challenges at almost every turn. In addition to the entertainment value of the film, the Blu-ray video quality impressed me significantly. Despite this movie being over 50 years old the picture was better than some much newer movies I have seen on Blu-ray.