Profile for A Customer > Reviews

Content by A Customer

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

A Customer "A Customer"

Price: CDN$ 13.75
41 used & new from CDN$ 1.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Rent, Buy or Steal a copy NOW!, June 23 2000
Beck is all class. Here he caps off his catalogue of styleswith a truly amazing release. Having been a collector of Beck Albumsand B-sides for six years, I would still rate this as my second favourite album. Falling just short of Mutations which I had no idea was being released until I flicked through his albums by chance days after it's local release. What does it for me one this record is 'Debra' I love that song. "I wanna get with you, oh and your sister, I think her names Debra". That is standard Beck. If you haven't heard him go out and rent, buy or steal a copy now! Better still get Amazon.com to send a copy to your door.

Collected Poems
Collected Poems
by Allen Ginsberg
25 used & new from CDN$ 5.82

3.0 out of 5 stars Some liked 'Howl' but ... I didn't, June 23 2000
This review is from: Collected Poems (Paperback)
Allen Ginsberg wouldn't necessarily appeal to me. For I often get lost in his thick rantings of love and tortured life. Much like his old friend Kerouac, I often don't like what I read. But still I read on, for another 'Hadda be playing on the Jukebox' but instead I'm caught up in eclectic images in slabs of prose. Although occasionally I am rewarded with another gem. Some liked 'Howl' but ... I didn't

Suzuki
Suzuki
Offered by @ ALLBRIGHT SALES @
Price: CDN$ 46.99
6 used & new from CDN$ 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll eat to that, June 23 2000
This review is from: Suzuki (Audio CD)
This is what I trudge through daily life for. And I imagine it's what the rest of the world do for too! Before this was released locally I read that it was the "perfect music to relax in the bath too" and after the interesting yet hardly smooth 'Opera' effort I found that hard to believe.
Oh how joyous the day was when this one hit the needle, I like to think everyone in the world stopped at that moment and held their hands over their hearts as a tear of release and of happiness dried in the blazing sun. But then suddenly the record cut to it's end and I was woken from my trance. I could have missed a date with the girl I longed for at school and I wouldn't have noticed, and probably wouldn't have cared. But alas that too is not true.
Having the complete Kruder and Dorfmeister collection at home, I think that this single record now gets more air time than the others put together. For I have come to the conclusion that this record is the modern day version of the standard issue dinner party music or even the perfect 'shopping mall lift shuffle'. But as a testament to the quality and longevity of this recording, I haven't had anyone tell me to turn it off at the table. Though I am still waiting for the next time I'm stuck in a crouded lift, when the 'shuffle' takes over your thoughts and drives all hope out of your body, leaving your visibly disheveled and forlorn. So I can go home and relax in the bath to 'Suzuki'.

Price: CDN$ 13.75
41 used & new from CDN$ 1.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Rent, Buy or Steal a copy NOW!, June 23 2000
Beck is all calss. Here he caps off his catalogue of styleswith a truly amazing release. Having been a collector of Beck Albumsand B-sides for six years, I would still rate this as my second favourite album. Falling just short of Mutations which I had no idea was being released until I flicked through his albums by chance days after it's local release.
What does it for me one this record is 'Debra' I love that song. "I wanna get with you, oh and your sister, I think her names Debra". That is standard Beck. If you haven't heard him go out and rent, buy or steal a copy now! (edit)

The Poetry of Robert Frost: The Collected Poems, Complete and Unabridged
The Poetry of Robert Frost: The Collected Poems, Complete and Unabridged
by Robert Frost
47 used & new from CDN$ 1.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Poems for the People, June 23 2000
It was upon having a conversation at school five years ago, that a friend suggested Robert Frost to help (form the basis) of one of my assignments. When I asked how he knew of him, my friend replied; "oh.., he's often quoted on TV" and I believed him (to this day I've never heard him mentioned). So I've come to guess that my old friend uses Frost as I occasionally do. To relax.
For it was upon going through a rough time that I again borrowed the complete works of Frost and a few other poets to get me through. And so inspired I was that I began trying to write some of my own. But as Frost had initially drawn me in with his simple, eaasily understood verses, he just as quickly lost me out the other side. But why I write this review is because I admired Frost's ability to start writing so descriptively so late in life, about man, life, decisions, the enviroment and even a wall! (ha! ha!).
So if you have never read poetry before, or you just wan't some new material. Buy Frost's complete collection. Oh and buy it from Amazon.com!

Still Suitable for Miners: Billy Bragg : The Official Biography
Still Suitable for Miners: Billy Bragg : The Official Biography
by Andrew Collins
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars "I was a miner, I was a docker...", June 23 2000
As a Billy Bragg fan for many years I was thrilled to hear of the release of this biography, but even more anxious to see who was writing it for him. For as often happens when famous people let strangers script their thoughts; either they match /compliment the person they are writing about or they steal the show.
Here Collins works perfectly. It's almost as if two old buddies had been in a pub one afternoon and decided to thrash out a book one one of their lives. Although it must be noted that Billy is a very personable character, who is very easy to strike up a conversation with. That being said, Collins pulled off my walk in the park in matching Bragg's wit, humour, tales of a bananna and a woman (I can't say anymore) and political morals.
I love Billy Bragg and what he has adamantly stood for all his life, and I think I may just come to love Andrew Collins too. But one thing is for sure, this biography has earned my respect double big time!

Ecstasy
Ecstasy
47 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Memories of the Underground Cafe, June 23 2000
This review is from: Ecstasy (Paperback)
Although one of the more specialist topics in a Welsh novel, Ecstasy reads far more easily than his other works. Admitadely some may find this topic and the whole clubbing scene hard to fathom, but Welsh's ability to structure the novel around three totally different sets of people (and indeed users) makes for interesting material.
From frustrated women to angry young men Welsh covers all bases with this one. But unfortunately I found the stories a bit stale and lifeless to really draw me in with any major empathy or character development. But then I thought to my self, that's what Welsh does, and doesn't he do it well! three stars, possibly four if it was written by someone we don't expect so much of.

The Acid House
The Acid House
69 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A Cat Ate My Mouse, June 23 2000
This review is from: The Acid House (Paperback)
Although I am a big fan of Irvene Welsh, I must say this was my least enjoyed read (and indeed a couple of years later a very boring film). But it does have some excellent stories; for example the 'Granton Star Cause' about a dumped football player, an unwanted lover and later that same evening a pesty son! How wonderful!
All in all a good read, and as with all collections of short stories, it can be picked-up and put down. But the fact that some stories may need to be skipped altogether tells it all.

Brand New Second Hand
Brand New Second Hand
Price: CDN$ 15.12
11 used & new from CDN$ 4.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Mr Manuva is Master!, June 22 2000
This review is from: Brand New Second Hand (Audio CD)
Rae and Christian are often credited as displaying that British Hip-Hop is around and sounds good. But as dj's/producers they have SFA to do with it's renewed respect I feel. Because Roots Manuva and dj's such as Leftfield have had the most to say. With the long awaited follow up to Leftism, Leftfield feature Roots on thier newest album. And in 'Phat Planet' he does a grand job too. However when I brought his debut long player; Brand New Second Hand' I was blown away.
Not being a hip-hop fiend or anything of that description, I immediately took to Roots' disjointed breaks and chopped-up beats. Respect double big time must also go out to Mr Manuva for refraining from employing a US accent - while only a minor effort, it serves his talent well. And finally, I was drawn in by his political bend, "the IMF wont write-off the third world debt, 'cause they profit from holding it down". Mr Manuva is the Master!

Marabou Stork Nightmares
Marabou Stork Nightmares
52 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars it draws you in, and spits you out, June 22 2000
Confrontation doesn't mix into my daily life. I may support England in the soccer and have a shaven head for most of the year, but other than that my association with hooligans and wide-boys ends. Except in my choice of literature. I must admit I'm not a regular reader, nor a terribly well spoken one, but as with everyone I do know what I like. And for some reason I love this book.
I can see it's various downfalls and faults, and it's lack of universal appeal is obvious. But, that is Irvene Welsh. He is bold (and bald), he is confrontational, he is vile, and his stories are rank. And so his message is; If you don't like it read something else.
Though I strongly suggest before you, do read this. For despite being one of the worst written Welsh novels, I enjoy it most. Perhaps it is the attachment one grows for Roy Strang, who is suffering the realisation that he's a loser as a coma victim, or may be it's the inter twining of Roy's real life flash backs with his fantasy life with Sandy (the all too friendly English sportsman) in South Africa. What ever it is it draws you in. But as with any Welsh novel, it spits you out.