Profile for Shepherdess Extraordinaire > Reviews

Content by Shepherdess Ex...

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Shepherdess Extraordinaire (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns
Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns
Offered by Simon & Schuster Canada, Inc.
Price: CDN$ 11.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Pathetic, Sept. 29 2013
What was the author thinking when she wrote this sequel? Was she short on her rent that month? This sequel is no where near the calibre of The Devil Wears Prada. Miranda only appears in about a quarter of the book - but that's the only good part of the book. Andy's character is so dislikeable - totally unlike The Devil. In this sequel she is whiny, self-absorbed, and no where near the strong confident woman she was in The Devil. I don't know why I even spent the time finishing the book. I suppose I had hopes it would improve. WRONG! Don't waste your time even considering this. I wish I'd read these reviews first. Spend your time re-watching The Devil Wears Prada instead.

Wedding Night: A Novel
Wedding Night: A Novel
Offered by Random House Canada, Incorp.
Price: CDN$ 12.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Up to Calibre of "Shopaholic" Novels, July 25 2013
I love the Shopaholic books! But this one is a big disappointment. I was tempted many times to quit reading this one, but kept going. The plot is silly and the ending predictable. I'll just wait for the next Shopaholic book for the next good Kinsella read.....

The Meryl Streep Movie Club
The Meryl Streep Movie Club
by Mia March
Price: CDN$ 12.27
67 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Big Disappointment, July 25 2013
I love Meryl Streep and was looking forward to a fun read. But I quit half way through the book; it was obvious anyways what the outcomes were going to be. The characters are pathetic, self-absorbed, self-pitying, whiny women. I got so sick of reading their sabotaging self talk. If you still choose to read this book, be sure to have "the world's tiniest violin" on your shoulders for background music.

The Terminator Anthology (The Terminator / Terminator 2: Judgment Day / Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines / Terminator Salvation)  [Blu-ray] (Sous-titres français)
The Terminator Anthology (The Terminator / Terminator 2: Judgment Day / Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines / Terminator Salvation) [Blu-ray] (Sous-titres français)
DVD ~ Various

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value!, April 7 2013
$10 each for 4 Blu-Ray movies is a great deal! Bought this boxset and had a Terminator viewing marathon. The boxset opens up in book style and consists of:
1. T1 with Special Features: Very good picture but not quite Blu-Ray perfect. But much much better than DVD!
2. T2 with Special Edition & Theatrical Version plus 8 hours of interactive Special Features: The boxset states 153 and 137 minutes respectively but I believe that is incorrect as the movie was much shorter - more around 100 minutes. I didn't get the option however to select one of the two versions. Initially I got some strange messages about "SkyNet not allowing internet access", but I kept hitting the "OK" and finally got to the movie. A little strange...probably intentional but frustrating to me. Picture quality was excellent but the sound quality varies in T2 - quiet when characters are speaking; louder with action scenes. I don't have a home theatre system so maybe that was the reason. Altho this was the only disc with sound variations. (I would have given 5 stars but for the sound quality on this disc and inability to select movie version.)
3. T3 with Special Features.
4. T Salvation with Special Features plus TS Bonus Disk with Special Features and is also the Director's Cut (only 3 minutes longer). I didn't watch the Bonus Disk.

So 5 discs in all. Overall the picture quality is excellent. I didn't watch any of the Special Features so can't comment on them. But if you're a Terminator fan, get this and have your own Terminator viewing marathon in crystal clear Blue-Ray!

The Lost Wife
The Lost Wife
by Alyson Richman
Price: CDN$ 12.27
103 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Nov. 12 2012
This review is from: The Lost Wife (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me by someone who said "to have a box of Kleenex available". I didn't shed a tear anywhere in the book. It was an OK read. Another book capitalizing on Holocaust stories. I found it quite sappy and "forced" emotionally. I thot this would be more of a love story about how Josef and Lenka looked for each other after being separated during the war but 90% of the book is about Lenka's experiences in the Terezin concentration camp. I certainly am not minimizing the Holocaust experiences of survivors - I actually visited a camp and found it very sobering - but there are much better books out there.

A Dog's Purpose
A Dog's Purpose
by W. Bruce Cameron
Price: CDN$ 10.82
103 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Little Disappointing, Sept. 10 2012
This review is from: A Dog's Purpose (Paperback)
I picked up this book based on all the raving 5 star reviews but didn't find it as "amazing" as some did. So it was a bit of a let down. It is a good story tho - just not a 5 star to me. I did enjoy seeing how a dog thinks and I know the author did a lot of research on dog behaviour. I have to confess tho that the book made me feel very guilty about how I had treated my husband's dogs. I didn't adore them as much as he did and can understand a little bit more from this book how they must have felt. Having read this book, I don't think I can look at a dog the same way again. Now when I pass a dog on the street, I wonder what he's thinking!

The Age of Miracles
The Age of Miracles
by Karen Thompson Walker
Price: CDN$ 18.77
13 used & new from CDN$ 0.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Read!, July 29 2012
This review is from: The Age of Miracles (Hardcover)
Age of Miracles is an eye opener about what can happen when the earth slows it's rotation. I was fascinated with the effects of the rotation on the earth, humans, and animals - little and big impacts I would never have thought of. There are several plots in the novel and all mesh well with each other. I would assume the author has put some research into the effects of the slowed rotation but what was disturbing was that, in the long run, humans really didn't know what to do because they couldn't figure out why it was happening. It's scary that this is a possibility many years from now given how we continue to abuse the planet. I did like that that ending didn't lay out what exactly happened but left enough to the imagination that it was pretty evident how everything would end. Humans may think we are in control of the earth's destiny - or that we can somehow repair the damage we've done - but in the long run I think we may find out that what we started ISN'T reparable and we will ultimately be at the mercy of the forces of nature, that is, helpless....and that's what makes this book fascinating. And scary.

Canada
Canada
by Richard Ford
Price: CDN$ 18.80
16 used & new from CDN$ 2.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Haunting, July 23 2012
This review is from: Canada (Hardcover)
I read this book based on reviews I had read in newspapers and wasn't disappointed. Having lived in Saskatchewan and been to a lot of the smaller "ghost towns", I found the book intriguing. Ford's descriptions of the two small towns that Dell lived in are so accurate and I could easily picture them. His descriptions give a sense of aloneness and desolation that I experienced when visitng these towns. I always found it fascinating to imagine what the towns were like when they were inhabited (their history) - much like Dell did. Ford does a great job of taking a quiet lonely life and describing it so that you feel you are right there sharing in it.

Many reviews indicate that the first part of the book was the best with the last part (Dell in Saskatchewan) not keeping pace. But I felt the second part was the best of the two. The story leading up to his parents robbing the bank dragged in places but I couldn't put down the part in Saskatchewan. I often wondered if the second part could have stood on its own - it was that good. How the two parts tie together becomes clear at the end as Dell shares his thoughts about how events in our life come together to have - or not have - meaning and significance - which I think is the point of the book.

I highly recommend Canada, especially if you are from the Prairies. I couldn't stop thinking about this book for days after finishing it.

Organizing for Success, Second Edition
Organizing for Success, Second Edition
by Kenneth Zeigler
Price: CDN$ 19.90
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars What A LIfesaver!, March 2 2012
I have been a manager in the health field for 15 months but still consider myself a "newbie". I have really been struggling with my workload and time management to the point where I was ready to quit. I just couldn't get a handle on those two things no matter how hard I tried. This book is a life saver! It not only outlines strategies but it also outlines principles and the thought processes around managing the workload of a manager. Within one week I had control of my day and was accomplishing significant work yet still able to support my staff. No more time-wasting and procrastinating. I am able to more competently handle interruptions. Yes, there are days that are still a disaster but I am quickly able to get things under control. I can't recommend this book highly enough. It's my workload Bible and I refer to it often.

Courageous (Bilingual)
Courageous (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Stephen Ostrander
Price: CDN$ 4.88
14 used & new from CDN$ 4.88

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Gem, Feb. 20 2012
This review is from: Courageous (Bilingual) (DVD)
Finally. A movie with substance and meaning. After so much drivel that comes from Hollywood, finally a movie that builds up your soul and promotes the value of the family. Whether you are a Christian or not, this movie challenges anyone who is a dad or mom to really look at their values and what they put their time and energy into. If only every parent could see this movie! Families today need this kind of "meat" and parents need this to be honest with themselves that how they live and love effects their children forever. Just a word of warning, I recommend watching this movie alone because you won't cry - you'll be sobbing - and many times. Thanks to all those who created this wonderful gem of a movie!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9