Profile for Shepherdess Extraordinaire > Reviews

Content by Shepherdess Ex...

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Shepherdess Extraordinaire (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
The Rosie Project
The Rosie Project
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers CA
Price: CDN$ 11.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Premise That Doesn't Deliver, Feb. 1 2015
This review is from: The Rosie Project (Kindle Edition)
I had a hard time getting through this book so quit half way through. It just seemed to plod along...Again, another book that came highly recommended in reviews but very disappointing.

Ellen In Pieces
Ellen In Pieces
by Caroline Adderson

1.0 out of 5 stars I was so very disappointed in this book, Feb. 1 2015
This review is from: Ellen In Pieces (Paperback)
After listening to an interview with the author on CBC Radio and reading the glowing reviews and recommendations, I was so very disappointed in this book. This book jumps around between the characters and time. But ultimately it goes nowhere. I didn't care about Ellen or the other characters. I forced myself to push through but finally gave up 3/4 of the way through. Don't waste your time on this one.

The Bear: A Novel
The Bear: A Novel
by Claire Cameron
Price: CDN$ 16.74
18 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended!, Oct. 21 2014
This review is from: The Bear: A Novel (Paperback)
I wasn't sure if I'd like this book as it is written from the perspective of a young child but I was pleasantly surprised. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and felt the author expressed the thots of the young children quit accurately and realistically. Highly recommended!

The Orenda
The Orenda
by Joseph Boyden
Price: CDN$ 16.04
12 used & new from CDN$ 9.54

5.0 out of 5 stars A Stellar and Profound Read!, Oct. 21 2014
This review is from: The Orenda (Paperback)
I so rarely find books that are 5 star anymore (especially those recommended by CBC Radio) so I was extremely pleased to finally read a book that I couldn't put down and had very strong character development. This is one of the best books I have read for a long time. This book evoked so many emotions from me - which a book should do. The author has done significant research in portraying Canada's history in a work of fiction that is one of the best reads out there. This book stayed with - no "haunted" me - for weeks after I was finished. Highly recommended.

Cockroach
Cockroach
by Rawi Hage
Price: CDN$ 13.96
9 used & new from CDN$ 5.82

2.0 out of 5 stars Over-rated., Oct. 21 2014
This review is from: Cockroach (Paperback)
I agree with one of the reviewers that said this was an over-rated book. I disliked the main character and found the plot boring. I'm starting to reconsider reading the recommended books on the CBC book lists as most have been huge disappointments. Don't waste your time on this book.

Loddy-Dah
Loddy-Dah
by Dolly Dennis
Price: CDN$ 16.00
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Big Letdown, Oct. 21 2014
This review is from: Loddy-Dah (Paperback)
I grew up in Montreal during the period in which the book takes place so was really looking forward to a great read. It was fun to read about the city and all my old hangouts, but the story itself was a huge disappointment. I didn't feel like I cared about any of the characters and there was no plot that kept my interest. I had to force myself to finish the book. Not recommended.

Somewhere In Between
Somewhere In Between
by Donna Milner
Price: CDN$ 15.85
24 used & new from CDN$ 2.42

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing from What I Anticipated, Oct. 21 2014
This review is from: Somewhere In Between (Paperback)
I bought this book based on the 5 star ratings, but have to say the book was somewhat of a letdown. What frustrated me was the first half of the book dwelling on the grieving mother, Julie. By the middle of the book, I was so sick of Julie's nonstop brooding, self-pity, and self obsession with her grief. I appreciate the grief this mother would have gone through but felt the author went on ad nauseum about it. What carries the book is the ranch's tenant, Virgil Blue, a fascinating character - an old school loner cowboy of few words who keeps to himself but has a powerful influence on the other characters, including Julie. The book picks up in the middle as the author starts to integrate Virgil's story and focuses on other characters who are trying to move forward with healing. As much as the book was a disappointment, the ending is moving and Virgil's destiny brought me to tears.

Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns
Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns
Offered by Simon & Schuster Canada, Inc.
Price: CDN$ 16.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Pathetic, Sept. 29 2013
What was the author thinking when she wrote this sequel? Was she short on her rent that month? This sequel is no where near the calibre of The Devil Wears Prada. Miranda only appears in about a quarter of the book - but that's the only good part of the book. Andy's character is so dislikeable - totally unlike The Devil. In this sequel she is whiny, self-absorbed, and no where near the strong confident woman she was in The Devil. I don't know why I even spent the time finishing the book. I suppose I had hopes it would improve. WRONG! Don't waste your time even considering this. I wish I'd read these reviews first. Spend your time re-watching The Devil Wears Prada instead.

Wedding Night: A Novel
Wedding Night: A Novel
Offered by Random House Canada, Incorp.
Price: CDN$ 12.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Up to Calibre of "Shopaholic" Novels, July 25 2013
I love the Shopaholic books! But this one is a big disappointment. I was tempted many times to quit reading this one, but kept going. The plot is silly and the ending predictable. I'll just wait for the next Shopaholic book for the next good Kinsella read.....

The Meryl Streep Movie Club
The Meryl Streep Movie Club
by Mia March
Price: CDN$ 28.99
57 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Big Disappointment, July 25 2013
I love Meryl Streep and was looking forward to a fun read. But I quit half way through the book; it was obvious anyways what the outcomes were going to be. The characters are pathetic, self-absorbed, self-pitying, whiny women. I got so sick of reading their sabotaging self talk. If you still choose to read this book, be sure to have "the world's tiniest violin" on your shoulders for background music.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10