Profile for Christine C > Reviews

Content by Christine C

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Christine C "christine-c" (London)

Eveolution: The Eight Truths of Marketing to Women
Eveolution: The Eight Truths of Marketing to Women
by Faith Popcorn
44 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Consumerism glorified, April 9 2001
What a frightening view of the world, and of women, this book presents - consumerism glorified and magnified to the nth degree. I find it sad that anyone could see the world, women, and women's relationships purely in terms of pushing products. Endless materialism and consumption aren't qualities that the world needs, and therefore I found this book a rather sickening read. Its two stars are because, to be fair, she certainly knows her stuff, even if that stuff strikes some of us as the stuff of nightmares!

Contemporary Paganism: Listening People, Speaking Earth
Contemporary Paganism: Listening People, Speaking Earth
by Graham Harvey
14 used & new from CDN$ 27.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent insights into modern Paganism, June 21 2000
This is a wonderful book both for Pagans and people researching Paganism. The author examines the practices and beliefs of various different Pagan groups (Druids, Wicca, etc) and what beliefs can be said to define Paganism. It's scattered with quotes from Pagans (and Terry Pratchett novels), and gives a great look into the worldview of neo-Pagans in the UK and around the world.

Conversations with God: An Uncommon Dialogue, Book 1
Conversations with God: An Uncommon Dialogue, Book 1
by Neale Donald Walsch
Price: CDN$ 17.87
180 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most important books on religion/spirituality, April 4 2000
I came to this book feeling somewhat dubious. I'd read channeled works before, but none claiming to come right from God - and I wasn't even sure if I believed in God as an individual entity anyway. I'd also read a lot of New Age books which were weighed down in meaningless terminology and fluff.
The first thing I loved about this book was its clear language. As I read it I felt that to some degree it was reiterating messages I'd already read, but in terms which the "average person" could easily understand, not with the dense intellectualizing that made my brain ache after a few pages which I find in some books of this type.
The fact that I'd read other books which gave the same basic information on life and the way the universe works wasn't a drawback, for me. The more people who hear the message, the better, and this series presents the message in a very easy to read, very clear manner. It's easy to follow, it makes sense, and if you're not too sure about what it says, there's an easy way to test it - try it out. It doesn't ask you to take anything on faith - not even that it's dictated by God, which the author himself certainly questions enough! Ultimately, if the message is sound, who cares who the messanger is?
Of course there are many who'll find the message unsound, but then there are many skeptics, and many people who strongly follow a religion and don't like anything which questions it. If you are ardently religious, you probably won't like this book. If you're a general skeptic, you'll probably think it's trash. But if you're a seeker and a searcher, if you're someone who is an explorer of spiritual truths whether they come straight from God or from someone's higher consciousness (and is there even a difference?), this may well be the most important book you've ever read.

Beyond Ramps: Disability at the End of the Social Contract
Beyond Ramps: Disability at the End of the Social Contract
by Marta Russell
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and shocking, March 25 2000
I found this book extremely well-researched and well-written, and shocking - shocking, because the facts presented are shocking. The fact that many countries are far worse in terms of disability rights does not mean that we in the US should be complacent - we still have a long, long way to go. Yes, the author's political views come across strongly, but they are also backed up and we can clearly see her reasoning, even if we do not agree with 100% of it.
This book is not only of interest to people with disabilities or those concerned for them - the issues raised about health care and poverty in the US, for instance, affect us all. And indeed, I think that whenever human life is devalued and regarded as nothing more than a commercial commodity, it affects us all. The author's clear sense of outrage at the injustice she sees may put some off this book, but for me it made it all the more powerful.

Eating Well for Optimum Health: The Essential Guide to Food, Diet, and Nutrition
by Andrew Weil M.D.
92 used & new from CDN$ 0.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good book from Dr. Weil, March 11 2000
I think that this book is best for people who are beginning to explore natural health - a lot of the information was things I already knew, but then I've read most of Weil's work and avidly read many books and magazines on natural health. The fact that doesn't go into enough depth for some of us certainly doesn't prevent it from being an excellent book for most readers, though.

Lets Get Well
Lets Get Well
by Adelle Davis
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
19 used & new from CDN$ 0.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely essential nutritional reference, Oct. 14 1999
This book should be required reading for all health professionals, and anyone interested in their own health. Davis shows how inadequate the average diet is in supplying us the nutritiants we need, and shows how good nutrition can play a vital role in the recovery of many illnesses. It's all backed up by referenced scientific work, and it shocks me that the medical profession isn't more aware of these results. This book was written over 20 years ago, but we need it now more than ever.

Lorna Sass' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen
Lorna Sass' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen
by Lorna J Sass
26 used & new from CDN$ 2.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Unreserved recommendation from a reluctant cook, Oct. 14 1999
If you've ever wondered how to turn grains like millet into delicious dishes, this is the book for you! Healthy, vegetarian whole food which is easy to cook and tastes delicious. As a newly married vegetarian I was nervous about cooking for my non-veggie husband, and browsed endless books looking for one which seemed to have simple yet interesting recipes, and which explained what to DO with quinoa, tempeh, and other healthy but strange ingredients. This was the best of my many buys, and one of the few books I still use every week.

Herbal Remedies For Dummies
Herbal Remedies For Dummies
by Christopher Hobbs
Price: CDN$ 16.29
44 used & new from CDN$ 1.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent information, not just for dummies!, Oct. 14 1999
I found this book very well written and very well balanced. It is invaluable for the newcomer to herbs, and would be a valuable addition to the bookshelf of a more experienced user too. It's one of those books which sits in my kitchen and gets referred to almost every day.