ARRAY(0x103b2a68)

Profile for Brown Sugar > Reviews

Content by Brown Sugar

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Brown Sugar (Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Memory Keeper's Daughter
The Memory Keeper's Daughter
by Kim Edwards
Price: CDN$ 12.27
257 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Bland, Aug. 7 2007
I agree that this novel is not worthy of its bestseller status. It is unnecessarily long and contains unbelievable, unlikable characters and situations. I actually found myself rolling my eyes while reading some parts of the book, which is largely predictable and left me feeling unsatisfied. I believe that whatever point that Edwards was trying to make got sidelined by an overabundance of filler material. It's a shame, really, because the book's interesting premise has been fouled by poor delivery.

Serendipity Road
Serendipity Road
by Catherine Devrye
Price: CDN$ 24.95
19 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, Aug. 7 2007
This review is from: Serendipity Road (Paperback)
Although Catherine Devrye has certainly led an interesting life, this memoir did not have much impact on me. It seemed as though all significant events in the author's life were simply everyday events; they were passed over rather quickly and without adequate detail. The book came across as being somewhat contrived, and its tone was superficially cheerful in places. I had an inkling of what to expect when Devrye went on a search for her biological parents and was not surprised when events unfolded predictably. Nonetheless, this memoir will undoubtedly hold your attention and perhaps leave you inspired to do more with your life.

Love Walked In
Love Walked In
by Marisa de los Santos
Price: CDN$ 11.91
113 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Aug. 7 2007
This review is from: Love Walked In (Paperback)
If this book had not been given to me as a gift, I would not have read it. Reading the plot summary on the back of the book is every bit as effective as reading the book itself, which has a horribly cliched and predictable plot. I thought that I could have expected much more from an author who is an award-winning poet and has a PhD in literature and creative writing! I suppose this sort of book is fine if you're looking for something very light and silly (think Harlequin Romance minus the sex), but otherwise I cannot recommend it.

Lullabies For Little Criminals: A Novel
Lullabies For Little Criminals: A Novel
by Heather O'Neill
Price: CDN$ 12.64
79 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, Aug. 7 2007
After all the rave reviews and extensive coverage of "Lullabies", I came away feeling a bit disappointed. The book does not flow well and none of the characters are likable. I found it hard to feel sympathy for Baby, much less her idiotic father or anyone else she crossed paths with. I feel as though Heather O'Neill wrote "Lullabies" simply to shock people, and I know that she has succeeded in that sense; the book is certainly shocking and often appalling, almost to the point of being self-destructive. It seems as though nothing good happens in Baby's world, and if something good does occur, it is inevitably followed by a chain of horrible events. Although it leaves a bad taste in the mouth, "Lullabies" can and will hold your attention.

The Glass Castle
The Glass Castle
by Jeannette Walls
Price: CDN$ 8.31
377 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A top-notch memoir, Aug. 6 2007
This review is from: The Glass Castle (Paperback)
I have always enjoyed memoirs and have read several that were quite memorable, but "The Glass Castle" tops them all. I started the book in the afternoon and had it finished within a few hours because I simply could not put it down for any length of time. Besides having led an extraordinary life, Jeannette Walls has an impeccable way with words. She evoked frustration, shock, joy, and anger in me through recounting the often bizarre circumstances of her past, but she never evokes or encourages pity at any time throughout the book. I felt satisfied when I came to the end of "The Glass Castle", which doesn't happen very often and is a real treat. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves to read, regardless of whether or not you enjoy memoirs.

The Birth House
The Birth House
by Ami McKay
Price: CDN$ 15.88
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, Aug. 6 2007
This review is from: The Birth House (Paperback)
Although "The Birth House" was not a bad book, I cannot understand why it continues to be ranted and raved about. I've read several books about the lives of midwives and this one is no different - you have the eccentric old midwife who is both loved and despised by the community she serves, the prodigious young girl who is fated to take the old woman's place, and plenty of myths and controversy surrounding the credibility of midwifery. Perhaps the only difference with "The Birth House" - and in my opinion, the only reason why such a fuss continues to be made over it - is that it is set in a tiny Nova Scotian fishing village. The articles and advertisements that are featured throughout the book are a nice touch, however, as is the herbal glossary at the end, but cannot save "The Birth House" from becoming a forgettable book.

The Goonies (Widescreen)
The Goonies (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Sean Astin
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 33.17
24 used & new from CDN$ 0.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Goonies Forever!, June 24 2006
This review is from: The Goonies (Widescreen) (DVD)
This has been one of my favorite movies since I first watched it at age 3 or 4. As I grew older, I realized that a lot of the movie is quite cliched, but that has never stopped me from enjoying every single minute of it. The characters are lovable, the action is continuous, and the humor is so cheesy it's great. Classic 80s title!

The Fountainhead
The Fountainhead
by Ayn Rand
55 used & new from CDN$ 3.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Something Out of the Ordinary, June 16 2006
This review is from: The Fountainhead (Paperback)
I found The Fountainhead to be an orginal albeit overwhelming novel. The philosophical aspect of the book can be hard to swallow at times, and I found myself reading paragraphs over and over again because of this. Still, the book's main message is interesting and the story is unlike any other I've read thus far.

Leslie's Journal
Leslie's Journal
by Allan Stratton
22 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, June 16 2006
This review is from: Leslie's Journal (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading Leslie's Journal and I hope it serves as a lesson to young girls who are too naive to recognize when they have gotten into a poisonous relationship. My only qualm with the book is its credibility - why would Leslie risk putting her entire life, in such detail, into a school journal that had the possibility of being read by a teacher? There are a few minor details concerning her relationship with Jason that I found to be a bit off as well. Overall, though, a good read.

Romantic
Romantic
by Barbara Gowdy
Price: CDN$ 16.02
23 used & new from CDN$ 2.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent!, June 16 2006
This review is from: Romantic (Paperback)
This novel was so beautifully written and so hauntingly real that I have had to read it several times over the past few years. Few novels manage to capture the wonder of human relationships and emotions as Gowdy has in this stunning novel. A classic.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4