Profile for Kathryn E. Bridger > Reviews

Content by Kathryn E. Bridger

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Kathryn E. Bridger "Nest Builder" (Canada)

Scoliosis Surgery: The Definitive Patient's Reference (3rd Edition)
Scoliosis Surgery: The Definitive Patient's Reference (3rd Edition)
by David K. Wolpert
Price: CDN$ 20.79
22 used & new from CDN$ 15.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Scoliosis explained, April 28 2014
Contemplating spinal fusion for scoliosis as an adult is quite terrifying and I found Wolpert's book very useful. Having gone through the surgery himself, he explained the mechanics and medical language involved in scoliosis well. He also discussed pre-surgical concerns, surgical procedures and post-surgical recovery openly, honestly and without drama. His book prepared me for my first surgical consultation by helping me determine the questions I needed to ask and the preparations I may, one day, need to make.
I would suggest, however, that in future editions, he consult a woman ... whose perspective on the practicalities involved in recovery may be slightly different from a man's. I would also caution readers to remember that there may have been treatment and surgical advances made since the book was first published.
But, all in all, a very good handbook for scoliosis sufferers and their families.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
by Susan Cain
Price: CDN$ 10.80
55 used & new from CDN$ 7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Sssshhh, March 3 2014
I have lent this book to several people who have then gone out to purchase their own copy. I love Susan Cain's insights into those among us who live more discreetly, under the radar, or self-consciously. She helps us understand that it is perfectly fine and that we are in very, very good company. It is also a great reminder that 'one size does not fit all', when it comes to designing work places and school curiculae. Furthermore, we are encouraged to modify our expectations and the criteria we so commonly use to judge popularity, achievement and success in North America. In our culture, the power and influence of introspective genius is often overlooked and underestimated to the detriment of society as a whole. I'm all for less noise and more substance.

Art Of Travel
Art Of Travel
by Botton Alain De
Price: CDN$ 14.44
43 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Travel Writing at it's Best!, March 3 2014
This review is from: Art Of Travel (Paperback)
This is an extraordinary and intelligent book seamlessly blending the adventure, thrill and occasional monotony of travel with art, philosophy and historical context. How we travel and why we travel are two questions addressed in de Botton's book. Most importantly, he reminds us to pay attention, to participate when it's required and to observe throughout. A simple excursion around one's own town or city, takes on new dimensions after reading this well crafted, tightly written work.

4 used & new from CDN$ 315.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoover cordless stick vacuum, July 17 2011
Absolutely love it! In fact, for the first few days, I was delighted with every spill or dust bunny that gave me an excuse to turn it on and whip around the house. I used to dread and loathe vacuuming. I found it heavy, cumbersome, awkward and frustrating. With the cordless Hoover, however, it's a pleasure. Fifteen minutes of excellent suction time is more than enough to get around the main living areas of my house and, since it's so easy to use and readily available, I don't feel I need to do the entire house in one fell swoop. It's good on floors and it's good on carpets. It stores away easily, it's lightweight, easy to manoevre and simple to empty. It has changed my cleaning habits and attitudes.

Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within
Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within
by Natalie Goldberg
Price: CDN$ 12.96
54 used & new from CDN$ 2.58

3.0 out of 5 stars Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within, Aug. 22 2009
I purchased this book after it had been recommended to me by several of my writing friends. I was looking forward to sinking my teeth in to it and being inspired. However, after just a few short chapters, I realised that the book lacked substance, was poorly written and, quite often, repetitive. Although Ms. Goldberg is obviously passionate about her writing and has some good exercise suggestions to help get one's creative juices flowing, I was distracted by poor sentence structure and flimsy anecdotes.