Profile for Gerard Guillemette > Reviews

Content by Gerard Guillemette

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Gerard Guillemette (Los Angeles, CA USA)

Asset Allocation: Balancing Financial Risk
Asset Allocation: Balancing Financial Risk
by Roger C. Gibson
28 used & new from CDN$ 1.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Good jumping off point., July 15 2001
I found this books very useful. I've been trying to find an intelligent investing style. Read things like "The Intelligent Investor" by Graham and "A Random Walk Down Wall St." by Malkiel and found them dry and somewhat inaccessible. I much prefered Evans and Malkiel's "Earn More (Sleep Better) : The Index Fund Solution" (cheesy title) and Bernstein's "The Intelligent Asset Allocator". Both small and intelligible books. The only problem is they seemed to state the solution to a problem I didn't know. That's where Gibson's "Asset Allocation" I think fits in. It describes what the problem is when trying to invest well. He makes very good arguments on what you can expect and what you'll have to understand. Things that Berstein and Malkiel go into more depth but Gibson gives you the big picture. I started looking for the solution to a problem and found that the last piece I need was to know what the problem was. Gibson's book reads fast and it is interesting. It's well illustrated and is a great jump off point to all sort of other books.

Inside The Java Virtual Machine
Inside The Java Virtual Machine
by Bill Venners
10 used & new from CDN$ 39.94

4.0 out of 5 stars A little fluffy., Jan. 21 2001
This book is somewhat less terse and succint than other books I've read. I don't have tons of time to read so appreciate short books that get to the point. This book was a little thicker than it needed to be. I like it but "Programming for the Java Virtual Machine" by Engel and O'Reilly's "Java Virtual Machine" are somewhat better books and thinner. PFTJVM has some nice diagrams while JVM has some better explainations on things like exceptions. It might be best to check out these three and pick according to taste.

Garbage Collection: Algorithms for Automatic Dynamic Memory Management
Garbage Collection: Algorithms for Automatic Dynamic Memory Management
by Richard Jones
Price: CDN$ 120.29
19 used & new from CDN$ 41.10

5.0 out of 5 stars pretty good book, Jan. 7 2001
I wanted to know about the generational algorithm that Java is now using. The book was pretty clear about how things work. I haven't read the whole book but what I've seen is very encouraging. The first few chapters are a broad overview and then you can dive into the particular algorithm you are interested in.