Profile for dennis allee > Reviews

Content by dennis allee

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

dennis allee "jazz DJ" (provincetown, ma United States)

Love Is Blue
Love Is Blue
Price: CDN$ 21.87
15 used & new from CDN$ 8.38

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Best Jazz Singers You Never Heard Of, June 27 2004
This review is from: Love Is Blue (Audio CD)
As a Jazz DJ on community radio constantly searching to avoid the too familiar, I have my finger on the pulse of female jazz singers throughout the United States, and the current crop, most of whom are unknown to the general public, is really outstanding. I mean real jazz singers, not Nora Jones. Jackie Allen is awfully close to the top of the list. This latest album only reaffirms the emotional depth, style, inventiveness, and sophistication of this marvelous artist who, after many years honing her craft in the mid-west, is beginnng to get a little of the recognition she deserves. Highly recommended.

Out of This Mood
Out of This Mood
Price: CDN$ 37.95
10 used & new from CDN$ 17.51

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful new group, Jan. 9 2003
This review is from: Out of This Mood (Audio CD)
I do a jazz radio show out of Provincetown MA.(92.1 FM, WOMR) and one of my areas of heavy concentration is female jazz vocalists. Scores of them from the U.S.A. and abroad are represented in my collection. Lyambiko, the singer and the group, are wonderful. The pianist, Marque Lowenthal, is outstanding. I highly recommend this CD to jazz afficionados and can't wait for their next offering.

W/T Oscar Peterson Trio
W/T Oscar Peterson Trio
Price: CDN$ 56.95
6 used & new from CDN$ 49.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Unknown Jazz Vocalist Amazing!, April 22 2000
This review is from: W/T Oscar Peterson Trio (Audio CD)
It is amazing that Bill Henderson never received the acclaim of the jazz world beyond insiders like Frank Sinatra and Charlie Haden who knew how good he is. Henderson is a wonderful interpreter of ballads and this recording with Oscar Peterson is filled with gems. Don't miss it if you love jazz vocals!

Let Yourself Go Celebrating
Let Yourself Go Celebrating
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 11.94
32 used & new from CDN$ 2.19

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, March 28 2000
I did'nt think it was possible for Stacey Kent and her group to top "Tender Trap" but much to my delight I was proven wrong. She is simply sensational as a straight-up interpreter of classic ballads. Her "One For My Baby" is wonderful. If this artist does'nt reach or surpass Diana Krall's metoric rise to fame, I'll be very surprised at the taste of Americasn jazz afficionados. I can't recommend enough!

Love Is...The Tender Trap
Love Is...The Tender Trap
Price: CDN$ 19.83
5 used & new from CDN$ 8.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Discovery, March 28 2000
I picked this CD off the rack two years ago knowing nothing about the artist. It literally blew me away. "I Did'nt Know About You" is simply wonderful! Stacey is the best female jazz vocalist I've heard in years and I've heard them all. Almost as impressive is the work of David Newton on piano. He rips at an amazing pace on the titkle track. Highly recommend this CD for jazz afficionados like me who love beautiful music. Dennis from Provincetown.