Profile for Bri > Reviews

Content by Bri

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Bri

Page: 1 | 2
The Incredibles (Two-Disc Widescreen Collector's Edition) (Bilingual)
The Incredibles (Two-Disc Widescreen Collector's Edition) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Craig Nelson
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 51.33
45 used & new from CDN$ 6.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film! (watch it in french!), Feb. 6 2013
This terrific family movie is a great educational tool for teaching your kids French and expanding their vocabulary. My son is in grade 4 French immersion and this film has been a family favorite since he was in grade 1 in both English and French. The French language tracts are excellent (not always the case) with the voices so well matched to the English sound track, you can flip between languages without it being annoying, but what really makes it work are the strong visuals that allow you to follow along even if you don't get 100% of the language at first (and they won't but that's OK).

Great for children learning french (immersion and core) to improve their vocabularies. Just don't tell them it's homework.

Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy
Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy
by E L James
Price: CDN$ 12.96
314 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time, Dec 31 2012
This was a terrible read. I actually finished the entire book despite the repetitive writing and plot (if you can call the same scenario drudged up over and over again a plot), because I'm a finisher and I kept hoping something of substance would happen. It didn't. A man has his victim sign a non-disclosure agreement regarding his S&M lifestyle and after she's initiated (and assaulted), she feels bound to respect his privacy? Really?!? How dumb are these characters? Really, cleaning the fridge is a more enjoyable way to spend an afternoon than wading through these fifty shades of drivel.

Everyday Food: Light: The Quickest and Easiest Recipes, All Under 500 Calories
Everyday Food: Light: The Quickest and Easiest Recipes, All Under 500 Calories
Price: CDN$ 17.55
30 used & new from CDN$ 17.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, easy, delicious, Dec 31 2012
This is a book you grab, flip through for inspiration and generally find that you already have what you need so you get cooking, then and there, with consistently great results. I've had this book for over a year now (in fact I have all three of the Everyday Food books--all great), and it has become my go-to book for 'what are we having for dinner tonight?'. All the recipies are straightforward and so far almost all have been delicious, the food appeals to children and adults alike (few weird ingredients though I'd like more ethnic cooking), and the illustrations and simple directions mean that anyone can do it, right now. I have lots of cookbooks that I enjoy reading, but they just don't get me into the kitchen (too many steps or special ingredients or low confidence that it will appeal to the whole family).

Finally a note on the "light" title--while I don't generally like "low fat" cook books (I'm just not willing to trade off flavor), with this collection you'd never know. Highly recommended.

Martha Stewart's Cookies: The Very Best Treats to Bake and to Share
Martha Stewart's Cookies: The Very Best Treats to Bake and to Share
Price: CDN$ 18.17
47 used & new from CDN$ 16.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous to look at, but I want fast over pretty, Oct. 24 2011
Full disclosure, I have a bias--I prefer to make dinner vs dessert. And when I need dessert fast, I bake cookies, so I want a short ingredient list with stuff that's already on hand, and an easy prep so I can have fresh warm cookies in minutes without dirtying more than one bowl. This book has lots of beautiful fancy cookies, and it really is a joy to read, but for all that, where it falls short is on the "make it right now" immediate gratification scale. After flipping through, there are so many options where I don't quite have everything I need that I still use my Mom's hand me down purity cookbook for everyday basic cookies.

Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast: 250 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Any Time of Day
Price: CDN$ 23.99
28 used & new from CDN$ 11.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook, Oct. 24 2011
This is a must have cookbook. The recipes are short and to the point, can be put together quickly (including weeknights), are delicious and special enough for easy entertaining. The one page format with gorgeous pictures is inspiring, and because the ingredients are few and generally easily available--you just do it. Plus there's great variety in the recipes with enough twists on the familiar to keep everyone happy (including a fancy pants flourless chocolate cake when you want to effortlessly impress). When I don't know what to make for dinner this week, this is where I start.

5 Gallon Bottle Drinking Water Pump
5 Gallon Bottle Drinking Water Pump
Offered by OXoqo-CA
Price: CDN$ 27.78
2 used & new from CDN$ 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive water pump, Oct. 24 2011
This is an inexpensive and convenient way to dispense water from a heavy 5 Gallon jug without needing to flip the jug. It is easy to use and assembles in minutes. It is not a very heavy duty looking item but that said, we've used ours for a year now and it still works like new.

Lego Brickmaster Star Wars
Lego Brickmaster Star Wars
by Dorling Kindersley
12 used & new from CDN$ 60.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Great kit for Clone Wars fans, April 5 2011
I've bought lots of Lego Clone Wars kits over the years: the boxed sets are expensive and limited to the one project. This kit has all the bricks needed to make lots of different cool ships in the most cost-effective package out there. Plus it's hard to lose the instructions since they are bound in the book. This is a great gift for Star Wars fans. All it really needs to make it perfect are some mini-figures.

Lego Crazy Action Contraptions
Lego Crazy Action Contraptions
by Doug Stillinger
Edition: Hardcover-spiral
Price: CDN$ 17.32
25 used & new from CDN$ 16.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this set, April 5 2011
This is a terrific gift for kids into building stuff. Great price, lots of interesting gears and wheel pieces, and while there are many projects to do, these are building blocks to go off and build new stuff. (The big thing at our local school is to build tops out of lego to battle, and this kit has lots of great parts: axles, wheels...)

Mad Hungry: Feeding Men and Boys
Mad Hungry: Feeding Men and Boys
by Lucinda Scala Quinn
35 used & new from CDN$ 7.11

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, April 5 2011
I was disappointed by this book. As a long time reader of Martha Stewart's Everyday Food, the endlessly wordy Mad Hungry was more annoying than enlightening. There are too few pictures, the recipies are generally predictable (do we really need another recipie for waffles or meatballs?) and the homespun wisdom (feed your boys breakfast, always have bacon on hand, learn to improvise because boys put empty cartons back, etc...) gets in the way of what's important: the food.

NEW Season 2 (DVD)
NEW Season 2 (DVD)
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 144.42
7 used & new from CDN$ 24.35

3.0 out of 5 stars DVD not as advertized, Dec 16 2010
This review is from: NEW Season 2 (DVD) (DVD)
I pre-ordered this item from Amazon only to find that 4 weeks after the supposed availability date, it was still not being shipped. This is the third time I've found that pre-ordering doesn't get you material faster--so if it's not in stock, buy somewhere else.

Since I wanted the collection as a birthday gift, I purchased it from another vendor through Amazon (that did have it in stock), and a week later it came. Yes, it was $20 more expensive, but what really annoys me is that the accompanying booklet is in Spanish only, and this was certainly not specified in the write-up. The DVD itself is fine--Season 2 is even better than Season 1, but I am unimpressed by the seller not disclosing the language information about the accompanying booklet. Bottom line, download the episodes on i-tunes. Faster, cheaper and there are no surprises about what you are getting.

Page: 1 | 2