Profile for R. Illingworth > Reviews

Content by R. Illingworth

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

R. Illingworth (Canada)

Logitech Harmony 550 Advanced Universal Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 550 Advanced Universal Remote Control

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty darn good!, Dec 8 2008
There's a bit of a learning curve with this product and it's not recommended for those who aren't somewhat tech-savvy, like the reviewer that gives the product a two-star review and said the software didn't work (blame the computer or pilot error).

I've experienced no real problems with the software (and I'm on a Mac!) except that it's clunky and could be a bit more user-friendly. I've got the remote controlling my entire system, including a 46" Sony LCD, Bell PVR, Sony DVD player and stereo receiver. Actually, I've also got it controlling a Sony PS3* for Blu-Ray viewing, but this requires adding a third-party remote as the device (the 3rd party remote comes with a USB receiver that plugs into the PS3).

I love what the remote does for me. I hit 'Watch a DVD' and the remote turns all my necessary components on and sets the TV to the proper input. Also, I've got one sequence programmed that pauses my DVD, switches to the TV input, then another that takes me back to the DVD input and resumes playback, all with one button. Then one single button turns everything off!

If you don't consider yourself tech-savvy, but you're patient, you can always find information on the Logitech forum.

As for the physical quality, I'm not a big fan of the clicky buttons, but it's lasted just fine for a year now. And I love the fact that it takes AAA batteries. I'll never buy a device that has a built in rechargeable battery (that battery dies, you've got a paperweight). All in all, it's a heck of a lot better than the piece-of-junk remote that comes with my Bell PVR.

It's great for reducing the number of remotes and replacing lost remotes. The absolute best thing, though, is it's capable of learning commands from other remotes. So if something isn't working right, you can teach it directly from the remote, or trick it if you're doing a creative workaround.

* Because the PS3 uses bluetooth for its remote connectivity, you need to add the 3rd party remote in order to use this IR-based Logitech remote. You can then use the Harmony to control playback functions, but power-toggling still needs to be done via the PS3 power button, controller or Sony blu-ray remote.

Howl
Howl
Price: CDN$ 13.99
30 used & new from CDN$ 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars White boys have soul, Jan. 19 2006
This review is from: Howl (Audio CD)
This is a seriously beautiful album.
It takes a while to grow on you, but my guess is if you *really* like what brmc has done up until now, including excellent b-side stuff, and you appreciate the influences this album seems in tribute to, then you'll LOVE this.
It's become like an old favourite vinyl LP to me and vinyl would be the ideal format for digesting Howl. Thankfully, though, the CD Mastering/ sound quality is phenomenal.

Exciter
Exciter
Price: CDN$ 8.08
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars No, No, No, NO, Jan. 4 2006
This review is from: Exciter (Audio CD)
It hurts me to do this, really, because I've forever loved DM and they got me through my teen years intact. I've loved Depeche even when it wasn't cool to do so (remember techno? blagh!).
But this album is nothing more than a forced and rushed affair. Probably to fund Dave's extra-curricular activities? Who knows.
The songs are very poor and uninspired. A couple even make me really cringe. But I give it 3 stars for "I Am You." (b/c to *ever* give Depeche Mode any less would just not feel right to me) "I Am You" is the one shining moment!
I was a little bitter w/ Depeche after this release, but all is forgiven with "Playing the Angel." It's the Depeche I love again :O)

Playing the Angel
Playing the Angel
Offered by moviemars-canada
Price: CDN$ 10.86
21 used & new from CDN$ 6.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a new album for the older fans..., Oct. 23 2005
This review is from: Playing the Angel (Audio CD)
Listening to this new Depeche takes me back to Music for the Masses because (though I cherish some of the albums after MFTM) Playing the Angel feels like it could've been the next album, before Depeche went off in new directions.
Music for the Masses is easily my favourite Depeche album, with Black Celebration only marginally less loved a favourite. So I'm excited, then, that Playing the Angel picks up where they left off.
Depeche-brand beautiful melodies and sound textures abound here. The moody atmosphere is back (which is where the newest fans don't relate to Depeche, in my humble opinion).
Don't get me wrong, I have (and actively listen to) everything Depeche has put out. I even adore Songs of Faith & Devotion. But this album takes me back to the Depeche I really love.
If you like Depeche even in the least, this album is a no-brainer. It will please.

Nightbird
Nightbird
Price: CDN$ 18.20
12 used & new from CDN$ 2.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Album, July 17 2005
This review is from: Nightbird (Audio CD)
I've always liked Erasure, but this album has fast become one of my absolute all-time favourites. The first listen, I wasn't sure what to make of it. The next listen, I was hooked. I listen to this CD over and over, almost everyday. It's a great driving CD, BTW.
If you're skeptical, spin tracks 2, 3 and 4 in a row. Play them loud. If those don't move your body, nothing will.
I'm now convinced Andy Bell and Vince Clarke are gifts from music heaven. I'm buying every single and can't wait to hear what comes next.
Simply amazing.

Unfit For Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry
Unfit For Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry
by John E. O'Neill
Price: CDN$ 25.04
87 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Hot & Bothered Hate Propaganda, Oct. 17 2004
This book is nothing more than hot and bothered hatemail from a guy with nothing better to do in life than attack somebody who's gone a lot further and done far more than he'll ever do in life.
If you believe this stuff, I've got some prime florida real estate for you ;O)

Uh Huh Her
Uh Huh Her
Price: CDN$ 17.34
29 used & new from CDN$ 2.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Canada Digipak Edition NOT COPY PROTECTED, July 6 2004
This review is from: Uh Huh Her (Audio CD)
Hey, just wanted to report that the Canadian release of this CD (in the Mini-LP digipak) is NOT copy-protected. At least not all of them. I've bought two, and they're fine (except both of them wobble in the CD player for some reason, as if uneven or warped).
And, simply, this is PJ's best album yet. Any fan of PJ's work as a whole (you probably own every album so far, in other words) will LOVE this. Others should give something time before writing it off. PJ Harvey isn't disposable pop, so you can't treat it as so.
Love the Canadian packaging, too. I wish everyone did these Mini-LP's, because they're so much more attractive than ugly and bulky old jewel cases. Yuk.
Hope that helps.

Knife in the Water (The Criterion Collection)
Knife in the Water (The Criterion Collection)
DVD ~ Leon Niemczyk
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 41.53
25 used & new from CDN$ 17.41

2.0 out of 5 stars The DVD will taint your appreciation of the movie., March 14 2004
I have to say that the pretentious move of the Director to disable DVD navigation is so irritating that it distracts from the movie, and may create in you a desire to fire the disc against the wall.
What do DVD controls have to do with the movie anyway? Is it supposed to make us feel like we're at the theatre? Well, we're not. And unless Roman Polanski is willing to buy me a 52 inch TV set to go along with the experience, I wish he'd keep his hands off.
Further, I don't see it mentioned anywhere that in addition to disabling the scan features, the resume function is also gone. So, let's say, you have to go to the bathroom; answer the phone; exit the building due to a fire alarm; whatever. Well, make sure you use Pause, and leave it that way, or else the disc will start over. If you accidentally push Stop, which is what I do, the disc will start from the beginning and you'll lose your place. And you can't scan to find it. So, I guess you're supposed to watch the movie all over again.
This is punishment for being a Modern Viewing Audience, plain and simple. Stupid!!
As for the film, it was okay. It would've been more enjoyable if I could watch it the way I like. Might've even watched it again.
Frankly, I thought the Shorts stunk. A great addition for hardcore fans but, to me, most of them were just obnoxious.
One tip for you if you do get the DVD: some Sony DVD players have an "instant replay" feature, and this actually *does* work, I figured out after the fact. So if you need to back up, everytime you push this button the movie will jump back 10 seconds. Don't tell this to Roman Polanski, though. ;O)