Profile for Robin Smith > Reviews

Content by Robin Smith

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Robin Smith (Canada)

Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy
Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy
by E L James
Price: CDN$ 12.96
475 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, April 18 2012
There is so much buzz about this trilogy. Ms. James has appeared on numerous TV talk shows in the last week or so, and there are several articles raving or speculating about her success splashed throughout the internet.

In all honesty, I haven't read any of the novels. I have a loaner of "Fifty Shades of Grey" and I've flipped through it. Nothing special caught my eye. I will say I was annoyed each time I read "Jeez" or "holy crap" uttered by the female protagonist. What I did read seemed to come from a juvenile writer instead of a woman in her 40s.

I belong to three fandoms where I am continually impressed by the quality of the fanfiction that is shared for free!! I understand it is the Twilight fandom where Ms. James got her start. I must say I have read more thoughtful and thought provoking works than what I skimmed in "Fifty". There are a number of times I felt honoured for being allowed to read such well-written works by fandom writers. If the story dealt with a BDSM relationship, I did prefer that the author had knowledge of such relationships or worked with advisers who did.

I think Ms. James is very lucky that her stories are so successful. I just wish some of the extremely talented writers that are inspired by stories of love and adventure or other writers who got their feet wet in fanfiction storytelling only to move on to original pieces of brilliance receive the recognition they deserve, even if they don't seek it. For most writers, fanfic writing is selfless. The best reward for their brilliance is the appreciation by those who read their stories.

The Kindness Of Strangers
The Kindness Of Strangers
by Katrina Kittle
Price: CDN$ 13.36
87 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, Dec 11 2011
It's wonderful to be able to purchase a used book for a great price and quick delivery! Thank you! This could be the online used book store for many!