Profile for Ellen Bales > Reviews

Content by Ellen Bales

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Ellen Bales "starwriter" (Indianapolis, IN USA)

Page: 1 | 2
View From the Edge
View From the Edge
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 22.95
9 used & new from CDN$ 7.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, May 10 2004
This review is from: View From the Edge (Audio CD)
My late husband introduced me to Checkfield many years ago and I treasure the two CD's I own: A View from the Edge and Distant Thunder.
Whenever I'm feeling the effects of stress or can't sleep I put on A View from the Edge and all my troubles just seem to float away on the wings of the music. I feel relaxed, rejuvenated, free as a bird. Listening to A View from the Edge is almost a religious experience for me!
Hitchhiker is one of my favorites. It makes me think of California and driving up the Pacific Coast Highway--I don't know why, since I live in Indianapolis.
To Look for America is so sweet it's almost painful--it never fails to bring tears to my eyes.
This CD passes the litmus test I assign to all music: it takes me away from myself, my time, and my place on the earth. It delivers me to another plane altogether.

Head Games
Head Games
by Eileen Dreyer
19 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Ending made it worthwhile, April 27 2004
This review is from: Head Games (Hardcover)
I won't elaborate on the book's plot--others have already done that. I almost put the book aside several times because of Molly Burke. I found her to be insufferable! The oh-so-witty repartee she and other characters engaged in was over the top. I kept wanting her to get on with it. And the constant bickering and downright nastiness between Molly and her so-called boyfriend Frank was sickening. I'd hate to see how she would treat a guy she REALLY doesn't like!
The only reason I kept reading was to find out who was sending her the "gifts" and notes, and I will say the ending was a real surprise which I had not figured out.
I will try another Eileen Dreyer book but probably not one featuring Molly Burke.

The Hook
The Hook
by Donald E. Westlake
Price: CDN$ 26.46
39 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Hypnotic, March 24 2000
This review is from: The Hook (Hardcover)
If he were alive today, Mr. Hitchcock would be proud. "The Hook," reminiscent of "Strangers on a Train," is a powerhouse in a small package. Only 280 pages, this book packs such a wallop it doesn't need to be any more wordy. With only a small handful of characters, each finely drawn, Mr. Westlake keeps things simple very effectively, without having to resort to an overly populated cast. The story starts out as a simple case of quid pro quo. Two writers meet: successful Bryce Proctorr, whose story-telling well has dried up, and the less well-known Wayne Prentice, able to write but not able to sell. They strike a bargain. Proctorr will publish Prentice's latest book under his own name and split the $1 million advance 50/50. But Proctorr has a hook: "My wife must be dead." Unlike other books of this sort, Westlake takes us to places in the human mind we would rather not go, places rife with psychological landmines. We watch in horror as the two writers' lives slowly become one. The shocking ending is quite startling and unexpected, yet not entirely surprising. I didn't seriously believe the author would go there ... but he did.

A Suggestion of Death
A Suggestion of Death
by Marianne Wesson
Price: CDN$ 34.95
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.45

1.0 out of 5 stars Strike Two!, March 4 2000
This review is from: A Suggestion of Death (Hardcover)
I tried to read "Render up the Body," but couldn't get past page 50. That's usually a pretty good indicator to how I'm feeling about the author and his/her writing. But in an effort to be fair, I read "A Suggestion of Death" and actually stayed with it through the end. There was no urgency, no excitement of any kind, and it was certainly not a page-turner. The only slightly interesting character was the receptionist, Beverly. The ending was especially bad; it just fell with a dull thud. By that point I really didn't care anymore. All in all, this book was a dud.

The Vision of Emma Blau
The Vision of Emma Blau
by Ursula Hegi
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great one from Hegi, Feb. 25 2000
I read "The Vision of Emma Blau" immediately after reading "Stones from the River," and I was as enthralled by the characters in this book as I was in the first. The occasional mention of characters from the other book made this story a wonderful blending of the two, peopled with characters you feel you know intimately. Another case of not wanting the book to end. I was a bit disappointed in the ending, however. I wanted to know more, a lot more!

Stones from the River
Stones from the River
by Ursula Hegi
Price: CDN$ 14.43
156 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable!, Feb. 25 2000
This review is from: Stones from the River (Paperback)
This book goes down as one of my all-time favorites, without a doubt. I'd never heard of Ursula Hegi before or any of her books, but now that I've been educated I will look for each new book. I disagree with many of the other reviewers who said the first part of the book was uninteresting. I found the whole book gripping and it wouldn't let go, even after it ended. "Stones from the River" is one of those books whose characters seem as real as your own family and you don't want to lose them when the story ends.

Cold Case A Novel
Cold Case A Novel
by Stephen White
43 used & new from CDN$ 0.22

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Page Turner, Feb. 5 2000
This review is from: Cold Case A Novel (Hardcover)
Stephen White, where have you been all my life? I don't know how I've missed him, since I'm a more than avid reader, but I was very pleased with "Cold Case." I read it in record time because I just couldn't stop turning the pages. I really like Alan Gregory's character. He reminds me a bit of Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware, and I liked Lauren Crowder much better than Delaware's live-in, Robin. Even the dog, Emily, was a good character. The book certainly captured my interest and the ending lived up to the rest. I'll be looking for all the other Alan Gregory books.

Scavenger A Novel
Scavenger A Novel
by Tom Savage
20 used & new from CDN$ 3.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, Feb. 1 2000
This review is from: Scavenger A Novel (Hardcover)
With the release of "Scavenger" Tom Savage has become one of my very favorite authors. His other three were also excellent, but this one was by far the best yet! I thought I was very smart and had the ending all figured out, but Mr. Savage put me in my place with one of the greatest twists ever invented. I can't wait for the next book. Hurry up, Mr. Savage!

The Silk Code
The Silk Code
by Paul Levinson
Price: CDN$ 34.95
22 used & new from CDN$ 0.35

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Awful!, Jan. 27 2000
This review is from: The Silk Code (Hardcover)
After reading the jacket blurb I was expecting something really intelligent. That's the reason I kept reading until the end, but it never happened. Granted, the author seemed to be up on his science, but as a writer, my granddaughter could do better on a school essay! I actually laughed out loud when I read characters in the eighth century using the word "OK." The author also constantly throws in meaningless "asides," and goes off on tangents only he can understand. This is the poorest writing effort I've ever seen, and I've been reading for forty-five years. Thank God I didn't buy the book.

Timeline
Timeline
by Michael Crichton
113 used & new from CDN$ 0.39

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, in spite of itself, Jan. 11 2000
This review is from: Timeline (Hardcover)
Am I the only reviewer who was reminded of the TV show Sliders? Right down to the Professor, the girl, and two younger men. I wonder if Crichton had been watching this TV series when he got the idea for the book. I did enjoy the story, in spite of the predictability, and the never-ending cliffhangers. I found myself almost overwhelmed by so much action; there was never a dull moment. The historical aspects were a plus, and Crichton did manage to accomplish what only a very good writer can: he kept me turning the pages!

Page: 1 | 2