Profile for S. A. Mears > Reviews

Content by S. A. Mears

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

S. A. Mears (Jefferson City, MO USA)

Interfaith Wedding Ceremonies: Samples and Sources
Interfaith Wedding Ceremonies: Samples and Sources
by Joan C. Hawxhurst
Price: CDN$ 22.28
19 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Good starting point, June 19 2001
I found this book to be a good starting point for planning my interfaith wedding. It gave equal dignity to both Jewish and Christian faiths, unlike some other books which want to emphasize one to the detriment of another. My officiants found the book helpful too.

Strangers in the Tribe
Strangers in the Tribe
by Glaser
19 used & new from CDN$ 1.40

1.0 out of 5 stars Tacha meshugana - A Melodramatic Comedy, July 26 2000
This review is from: Strangers in the Tribe (Hardcover)
I bought this book to read more about the subject of interfaith marriage. But I couldn't get into it. The writing style is overly dramatic and needlessly breathless. My fiance, a Shammas/Gabbai (I'm a nice Irish Catholic girl) started reading it and laughs so hard he loses his breath.
Perhaps it is that we have been friends for 25 years, before admitting that we were more, but the people described in this book need to get a life! Each relationship has a pattern of great angst and followed by silliness beyond compare.
I also felt that this book was patronizing at best to the Christian partner in the relationship. My fiance and I celebrate each other's deep faith, attend mass and synagogue together, and are comfortable with each other's past, our shared present and our hoped for future. It also needless blames the parents in the relationships. We are, and have been supported, by loving parents who want our happiness first.
I would not recommend this book to other interfaith couples and had I read it 25 years ago when we first met, I wonder whether we would ever have become friends, not to mention more.
Joe - Each night when I read parts of this book, and I use the term "book" loosely, it gives the love of my life, who knows more Yiddish than most born Jews, a headache. Sir Edward Coke, Lord Chief Justice of King's Bench and later a member of parliament once wrote " Every person skilled in his art or profession is to be believed." (Coke on Littleton, 125a (1628)). Such, in my professional opinion,is not the case herein.
As an interfaith couple involved in a 25 year relationship, posited upon friendship and mutual respect, we found this book most unhelpful and intellectually insulting.