Profile for hunnee8 > Reviews

Content by hunnee8

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

"hunnee8" (Melbourne, Victoria Australia)

The Pretender: The Liar's Club
The Pretender: The Liar's Club
by Celeste Bradley
42 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughter, Tears, Sighs, Nail-biting, everything!, June 11 2003
I absolutely loved this book! Unforgettable hero and heroine (especially the heroine), Simon Raine and Agatha Cunnington will leave you laughing out loud, sighing with delight and crying from the powerful emotion evoked.
Like the reviewer before me, I don't want to talk much about the plot because it would be difficult to do so without accidently spilling plot twists and the sweet and funny bits.
The attraction between the couple is so amazing and powerful, you just couldn't get enough of them! Agatha's unconventional beauty is refreshing and such a delight, you will just fall in love with her! Simon's frustration at his uncontrolled attraction to Agatha and not to mention his past, makes him the most endearing hero you could ever get! Celeste Bradley's quirky narrative and snappy dialogue, plus the nerve-racking plot made this book an absolute page-turner.
This story has the combination of incredible love, sacrifice, comedy, suspense (extreme) and twists with a wonderful finale that will make you hug the book once you have finished. Finally, excellent supporting characters lift the story and moves it along, filling the gaps to make the story whole. There is just so much to this story that I could go on forever! A MUST READ!

To Charm A Prince
To Charm A Prince
by Patricia Grasso
30 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasurable read!!! (4.5stars really), June 11 2003
The heroine (and indeed she is), the beautiful, sweet and loving Samantha Douglas with a physical condition that causes her to deem her body defective merchandise...is a former pick-pocket. The hero, Prince Rudolf Kazanov, handsome, powerful, with a deep dark secret and a temper to match his status, is running away...from his enemies or his past?
This is not your average "cinderella"-type romance. From the first sentence I was hooked! The instant attraction between Samantha and Rudolf causes explosive passion which then leads to love, sacrifice and well, a few rash decisions causing misunderstanding and regrets which is then resolved and of course, all's well that ends well.
Rudolf is running away from someone who wants to kill him for a valuable item that Rudolf has in his possession. Samantha involuntarily becomes entangled in the escape and there begins a rollarcoaster ride of emotions and action that will bring you from giggles, to sighs (awww), to tears, and back to more sighs and giggles. Samantha struggles to overcome her lack of self-confidence but her loyalty and love for Rudolf makes up for her sometimes annoying self-degrading thoughts. Rudolf has a secret he is determined to keep from everyone but in his love for Samantha he shares his secret with her. His charm and the things he says to Samantha and his love for children is so wonderful you can't help but fall in love with him. As the couple fall deeper in love with each other, misunderstandings, distrust and lies threaten them along with Rudolf's reluctance to give his heart because of his past, but in the end, true love prevails.
Although I found the turns in the story a little too abrupt sometimes and Rudolf's temper at times made me want to yell at him (yes, yell at the book), the story drew me in so much that I finished it in one night! A fairy-tale of two wonderful, unforgettable characters, positively dripping with love and emotion, mixed with slight suspense, excellent dialogue and exciting supporting characters makes this a must-read!

Everything And The Moon
Everything And The Moon
by Julia Quinn
76 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Melt-ilicious, A MUST-READ!, March 5 2003
I finished reading this book in one sitting. I loved this book so much I wanted to read it again straight away!! I wanted to give this 100 stars!
This is a story that was light (but not shallow) in plot but heavy in love, which is wonderfully refreshing since most of the other romances I have read have many deep plots and misunderstandings that can sometimes be a little too much for us "gentle readers". I will not summarize this story since it has been done by other reviewers.
Robert Kemble's character (who has become one of my all-time favorite heroes) shone so brightly you could not help but fall smack bang in love with him. He is an original Hero, a man who was not so egoistic that he could not accept his mistakes. Instead, he put his whole life into making amends and never EVER hesitated in declaring his love for our Heroine, Victoria Lyndon, in both action and words. Over and over again in the story his love, adoration and loyalty was displayed. Just to melt the reader more, Robert has to rescue Victoria many many times in this novel and even when his own life was at risk, is only concerned for Victoria. His love/knowledge of science is not only endearing but caused me so much laughter, and who could resist a hero who is capable of being teary eyed? ~sigh~
Victoria Lyndon is a woman who brought the excitement, dispair/tears and frustration to the story. Her antics as she attempted to run away from the man she loved made me feel slightly annoyed (in an interested way) yet laugh at the same time, hold my breath from a kind of nervousness and anticipation, then read as fast as I could to find out what would happen to her. The traumas, trials and confusion she endured made me cry. The strength in her character both satisfied and frustrated me.
To achieve these emotions in a reader only proves that Quinn is indeed one of the top writers. Everything is described and rendered in such a way that you felt you were standing in the same room as the characters or sitting in ther mind, listening to their thoughts.
The side characters were beautifully placed and written about enough for the reader to feel that they knew these characters and were used to not just fill out the storyline, but to lift and support the hero and heroine along to the end.
For those of you who loves a romance that is dripping with love from front cover to backpage (unlike most novels that uses more ditches than rises to capture the reader) and a story that makes you go "awwwww" every other minute, "Everything and the Moon" is a must-read!!

The Beautiful Stranger: The Rogues of Regent Street
The Beautiful Stranger: The Rogues of Regent Street
by Julia London
Price: CDN$ 8.99
54 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Love is all around in this novel, Jan. 30 2003
I don't believe it possible NOT to fall in love with Arthur Christian (the hero). Arthur is a noble man with no pretense in anything he does. His kindness and sincerity was portrayed exceptionally well, keeping the realistic human behaviour well in check. His boldness in proclaiming his love for Kerry (heroine) is in such a way that when you finish with the book, you would sit there and reflect on the words Arthur spoke throughout the book and the many things he did for Kerry.
Kerry McKinnon was written extremely well too! She is one of my favorite heroines now. Here is a lady who knew exactly what she wanted and never paused in showing her love and her true thoughts to our hero. In many romance novels, the hero would be the instigator in most intimate moments, yet in "A Beautiful Stranger" Kerry knew where she stood and was not afraid to go to Arthur in many circumstances during the story.
"A Beautiful Stranger" was the perfect finale for the "Rogues of Regent Street" series. I don't want to let on too much here so I'll simply say that the plot is quite far off from the average regency romance that you get and it was done perfectly!
To support the story through...to bring it across to the end, the friendship between the Rogues (and you will be touched by it, especially Adrian's part) play an important role, plus the many characters around the couple make this book unforgettable!

56 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Well "Flavoured" Book. A MUST READ!, Jan. 17 2003
After reading "A Well Pleasured Lady". It was difficult for me to pick up "A Well Favoured Gentleman" (as you will read from my review, I didn't enjoy the former much).
Fortunately, I did pick up Ian's story and I am so glad I did! I was extremely interested in Ian's character in part 1 but when I read part 2, I fell in love with him straight away. The turmoil and confusion in his mind, not to mention the bitterness he was subjected to since young, was well presented and written in such a way that the reader could easily empathize yet through all that, you could feel the determination and strength and the beauty of his character. Ian has magic in him, something he did not choose to own and it created in him a mysterious, shining aura (for people who have read this, please excuse this slight pun).
Alanna, in contrast, needed to give the illusion that she knew magic (to the townsfolk). She, unlike Ian, knew and understood love since young and wanted to love. Her courage, honesty and sense rendered a striking woman that was exactly the remedy that Ian needed, but the most important attribute was her loyalty to Ian. It was this that completed their love and even though it seemed at first that she was an unremarkable lady with a talent for healing and disguise, as the tale unfolds, she transforms (another hint of a pun) into the most beautiful, lovable heroine.
This story is quite long, packed with a lot of information but as the reader, you will enjoy every piece of information given and when you finish, you will realize the mastery in the plot. Betrayal, hatred, confusion, bitterness, friendship, loyalty, mystery, happiness, sadness, love and sacrfice were all in this magnificent story. Many different kinds of emotions were evoked in me as I read this book.
There was just the right amount of twists and the side-characters were rendered enough to support the hero and heroine, to fill in the gaps of the story.
This book is definitely a keeper for me, it is now sitting right next to my Suzanne Enoch and Julia Quinn collection!

56 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I gave this book a go!!, Jan. 13 2003
After reading "A Well Pleasured Lady". It was difficult for me to pick up "A Well Favoured Gentleman" (as you can read from my review, I didn't enjoy the former much).
Fortunately, I did pick up Ian's story and I am so glad I did! I was extremely interested in Ian's character in part 1 but when I read part 2, I fell in love with him straight away. The turmoil and confusion in his mind, not to mention the bitterness/hate he was subjected to since young, was well presented and written in such a way that the reader could easily empathize yet through all that, you could feel the determination, strength and the beauty of his character. Ian has magic in him, something he did not choose to own and it created in him a mysterious, shining aura (anyone who has read this: excuse that hint of a pun).

VHS
8 used & new from CDN$ 6.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cast, Great portrayal, Great Movie - *TEN STARS*, Jan. 3 2003
This review is from: 61 (VHS Tape)
I loved everything about this movie. Barry Pepper's portrayal of Roger Maris was, well, I was awestruck. The whole cast was excellent. The emotions evoked were so powerful, you thought you were actually there.
I've since watched this movie 3 times and each time I've been moved to tears (I'm not normally a teary person).
It does not matter if you don't know much about baseball (although this is definitely for baseball fans), this is a movie not to be missed!

A Well Pleasured Lady
A Well Pleasured Lady
Price: CDN$ 9.92
49 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, Jan. 3 2003
This is the first book I've read by Christina Dodd. Sebastian could have been portrayed much better, I didn't even like him (but I know thats subjective). I wasn't convinced that the pair were in love. The story wasn't ended properly in my eyes because Hadden and Ian's story wasn't reconciled with Sebastian and Guinevere's half (don't want to go into details so as not to spoil anything). Overall, way too many gaps.
The odd thing was that I ended up more excited about what was going to happen to Hadden and Ian rather than Sebastian and Guinevere.
I'm a little disappointed that my first Dodd book gave me such a negative impression but I'll try to read Ian's story (A well favored gentleman), you never know, it might fare better.

Duke & I
Duke & I
by J Quinn
Price: CDN$ 9.92
99 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Gimme more Hastings please!, Dec 19 2002
This review is from: Duke & I (Mass Market Paperback)
I think I could read this book again and again. I wish there was a bit more of Simon in the other Bridgerton books. The thing I love most about Quinn's books is that there isn't too much denial in the characters when it comes to attraction for one another. Especially this book and Benedicts story, the love was declared early on and it made me, as the reader, more comfortable in reading through the conflicts. Also, there is something about the friendship between two big handsome guys that really catches my attention. Oh just get it and read it!

Offer From A Gentleman
Offer From A Gentleman
by J Quinn
101 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Just pure love, Dec 19 2002
Cinderella weaved into a beautiful story with some twists and much to my relief, no exaggerrated misunderstanding. Quinn manages to make the reader think, "well, this is only fantasy, no one could love another like this....but....then again its so believable" One could not escape loving Benedict.
I am looking forward to reading "Romancing Mr Bridgerton".