ARRAY(0xa4a0bb4c)

Profile for B. Braun > Reviews

Content by B. Braun

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

B. Braun (Alberta, Canada)

Odori
Odori
by Darcy Tamayose
Price: CDN$ 16.75
13 used & new from CDN$ 7.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Two sittings, and four cups of tea later..., March 16 2008
This review is from: Odori (Paperback)
By chance I met Darcy Tamayose, the author, whom graciously offered her author's copy of 'Odori' to read after a brief, but impactful, meeting late last week.
When I inquired what 'Odori' was about, she very humbly stated it was a story of fiction.
On Saturday, I settled in a comfy chair with a tea, and devoured the book. Two brief sittings later, the book complete, I struggle to review it for online consumption.
It is easy to say that a novel is 'good', but this novel deserves more then 'good' and I am clearly not a writer. So, here is my attempt at a review.
Reading this book reminded me of sitting in front of my grandmother, as she told me stories of her childhood, and the struggles of her life. 'Odori' spoke to the sentimentality of family, the often heartbreaking struggles a family bears, and of the strength of individuals within a collective ancestry.
Cultural aspects of the novel are vivid and easily understood by someone not of her culture, and I found myself lost in her descriptions of life in Southern Alberta, and more so of Okinawa.
'Odori' could have become entangled in a number of cultural issues begging to be explored but it stayed true the journey of the central character. I think that was no small feat, and applaud Ms. Tamayose for having the strength not to become embroiled in educating the masses on the much more complex underlying facets of her novel.
I very much like this novel, and am thankful for the chance meeting that brought this novel to my attention. 'Odori' deserves much more then my most definitely lacking review, but I am glad to sing it's praises in whatever way I can. Enjoy.

The Amber Room: A Novel
The Amber Room: A Novel
by Steve Berry
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
81 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read..., April 18 2006
The Amber Room is loaded with historical information and detail, without going over the top.
If you like Dan Brown's novels, you will enjoy this novel as it shares in the same style of writing. The pace is brisk yet enjoyable.

Geisha: A Life
Geisha: A Life
by Mineko Iwasaki
Price: CDN$ 13.71
89 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read..., Dec 18 2005
This review is from: Geisha: A Life (Paperback)
It is very obvious that A. Golden wouldn't have "Memoirs of a Geisha" without this source book for his novel. The accurate details in this autobiography truly give one the information that "Memoirs" missed out on. If you liked "Memoirs" you will like this book, its not stylistic, but its simplicity and accuracy are outstanding.

Cross Bones
Cross Bones
by Kathy Reichs
Price: CDN$ 22.37
63 used & new from CDN$ 0.02

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read....., Nov. 21 2005
This review is from: Cross Bones (Hardcover)
If you like the suspense/thriller genre, you should like this book and the preceeding ones. "Cross Bones" was my first Reichs novel and am happy to report that it is a good read.
Detailed, with a flair for throwing in a lot of scientific/historical information.
I read this book first, and then went back and read her earlier novels. This book hooked me on the entire series, and I read them all within a couple of weeks.
The only complaint I do have is in detail Reich includes in areas that are not necessary. She goes a little overboard in describing locations, local history, and scenery, when its not needed. Its a bit tiresome due to the volume of detail needed to address the forensics in this, and each prior novel, but nonetheless, its a great read.
You won't be disappointed in this and the prior novels if you enjoy writers such as Dan Brown, Nelson DeMille, or Elizabeth Kostova for that matter.

The Exorcist III (Widescreen)
The Exorcist III (Widescreen)
DVD ~ George C. Scott
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 40.63
17 used & new from CDN$ 2.18

5.0 out of 5 stars If you liked the first movie, you'll LOVE this one....., Nov. 7 2005
If you enjoyed the first movie, skip the second movie and head right to the Exocist III. This was a great sequel to the first movie, and was scarey like all hell. Loved it. The drama and religous suspense do the first movie justice, and then some.