Profile for Lucy Loo > Reviews

Content by Lucy Loo

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Lucy Loo "Lucybear05" (Alberta, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Canada's Baby Care Book: A Complete Guide from Birth to 12-Months Old
Canada's Baby Care Book: A Complete Guide from Birth to 12-Months Old
by Jeremy Friedman
Price: CDN$ 21.91
37 used & new from CDN$ 7.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the bunch, Dec 31 2010
As a first time mom, I bought several baby care books. I like this one the best. It is a good helpful overview of all the main topics. I especially like: lots of helpful photos, Canadian viewpoint, unbiased/non-judgmental tone, good info on immunizations and common baby ailments. I would definitely recommend. One note for prospective parents: this book is perhaps not a complete reference for every possible baby question under the sun, though it is a thorough book. I would recommend purchasing this along with what to expect the first year. I find having both to provide a complete reference for your baby.

Gorgeous As Sin
Gorgeous As Sin
by Susan Johnson
Price: CDN$ 8.99
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Rate this!, Jan. 4 2010
I have no idea how to rate this book, so just randomly picked 3 stars. If you like steamy romances, be warned. This isn't really a romance novel. There is a bit of romance mixed in to what is really just erotica. If that's what you're looking for, then perfect. But if what you like are really steamy romances, then there might be a bit too much sex, and a bit too little romance, in this one...

Eyewitness Travel Guides China
Eyewitness Travel Guides China
by Dorling Kindersley
17 used & new from CDN$ 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Always good, Jan. 4 2010
We almost always buy DK guide when we travel, and this book was very good. The only concern I would have is that it is getting a bit dated, but other than that, very well done.

Fodor's China, 6th Edition
Fodor's China, 6th Edition
by Fodor's
Price: CDN$ 26.39
24 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars So-so, Jan. 4 2010
I would give this book 2.5 stars. I usually like Fodor's, but found this book only so-so. I guess it is hard to provide good information when there is so much to cover, but generally I found myself rarely referring to the book while we were in China. Not sure I would recommend it...

Surrender To The Devil
Surrender To The Devil
by Lorraine Heath
Price: CDN$ 9.02
44 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best of this series, Jan. 4 2010
I've read this whole series, and really enjoyed this one. The heroine is very likeable, but for me it is the hero that stood out. The "secret" he has is a really interesting one that I haven't come across before in romance novels, and added a nice touch I thought. There was just enough suspense/intrigue as a backstory to add something interesting to the primary storyline of the romance between the two protaganists, and overall this is a very enjoyable (if quite formulaic) historical romance. Definitely recommended.

Confessions At Midnight
Confessions At Midnight
by Jacquie D'Alessandro
Price: CDN$ 9.02
59 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable light read, Jan. 4 2010
I would give this book 3.5 stars. I've enjoyed all the books in this series, and this one was no exception. Nothing about the book makes it really stand out, but it was well done and kept me turning the pages quickly. If you've enjoyed her other books, or books by Lisa Kleypas, you will probably find this one quite worthwhile.

Courtesans Daughter, The
Courtesans Daughter, The
by Claudia Dain
Price: CDN$ 13.20
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Different..., Jan. 4 2010
This book was different than the usual formula for historical romance novels, as we see these days with the likes of Lisa Kleypas, Elizabeth Hoyt, Stephanie Laurens, Lorraine Heath, Jacquie D'Allesandro, etc. I thought it was interesting, but ultimately it didn't really give me what I look for in romance novels ('cause after all, I like the usual formula - that's why I read them!). In particular, I strongly disliked the heroine. If you don't like the above authors, and tend more towards unique or interesting regency type romances, then give it a whirl. On the other hand, if you do like the authors noted above, and are looking for more like that, you might not like this one.

Midnight Pleasures With A Scoundrel
Midnight Pleasures With A Scoundrel
by Lorraine Heath
Price: CDN$ 9.50
51 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Disappointed..., Jan. 4 2010
I've been reading and enjoying this whole series, and was REALLY looking forward to James Swindler's story. With such high expectations, that's maybe why I was disappointed. The book isn't bad, and has a lot to recommend it. But I was expecting more. Also, I didn't really like the plot twist with the heroine's identity (which I won't reveal) - it kind of felt awkward. Also, the book changes settings part way through, and I didn't enjoy that either. That section of the book felt kind of boring and a bit like filler to make the book longer. Overall, I would recommend every book in this series, and I think Heath is a good frothy historical romance novelist, but I do think this one was the weakest of the bunch.

What A Scoundrel Wants
What A Scoundrel Wants
by Carrie Lofty
Price: CDN$ 4.99
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Unconventional, Jan. 4 2010
I really debated what kind of rating to give this book. It is undoubtedly well-written and interesting. This is clearly a good author. However, be warned that this is what I would call an "unconventional" romance novel. It is not of the usual mould. If you like to see all the typical formulas in romance novels, then this one might disappoint. If you like romance, but are sick of the same old plot contrivances and seemingly identical protanganists, then I would highly recommend this. It has love scenes on the steamier side, and lots of interesting action and adventure, and the hero and heroine are very unique and well-drawn. I would recommend it to anyone looking for some romance that's not completely "cookie-cutter".

National Geographic Traveler: Hong Kong, 3rd Edition
National Geographic Traveler: Hong Kong, 3rd Edition
by Phil Macdonald
Price: CDN$ 16.26
44 used & new from CDN$ 1.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, Jan. 4 2010
We travelled to Hong Kong for 5 days in November of 2009, and brought this along. We usually buy Fodors or Frommers, but we already had "China" books from those publishers for our travels on the mainland, each with chapters on Hong Kong, so we decided to try a new brand for a Hong Kong-specific book. I really liked it. It has some good suggested walking tours, and the maps seemed well done and accurate. I liked the extra information on history and culture, etc. The format/presentation was very nice, all in colour. I would try National Geographic brand books again, and would recommend this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4