ARRAY(0xb813ef24)

Profile for Mark Nenadov > Reviews

Content by Mark Nenadov

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Mark Nenadov "arm-chair reader" (Essex, Ontario Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Captivated: Beholding the Mystery of Jesus' Death and Resurrection
Captivated: Beholding the Mystery of Jesus' Death and Resurrection
by Thabiti M. Anyabwile
Price: CDN$ 11.03
20 used & new from CDN$ 3.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Feb. 16 2014
We live busy lives and there are other cultural pressures at play which make it hard to focus on one subject and linger. Thabiti's mission in this book is simple--to get Christians to gaze at Jesus, especially in his death and resurrection. We can often make things so complicated, but sometimes we must reorient our schedule to contemplate the two events which turned the whole world upside down. Yes, it's OK to stare sometimes!

I've previously read two of Thabiti's books on ecclesiological matters and also follow his blog and have attended a conference he spoke at, the Carey Conference here in Ontario. He's a great guy and I had pretty high expectations going into this book. And yet, I wasn't exactly sure by a book by him on this sort of subject would look like.

The book is split into five sections, which are question found in the Biblical books of Matthew, I Corinthians, and Luke. They are: Is There No Other Way?, Why Have You Forsaken Me?, Where, O Death, Is Your Victory?, Why Do You Look for the Living among the Dead?, and Do You Know These things?

Each of these sections focus in on aspects of the death and resurrection and bring forward their essence powerfully. In each section, Thabiti leads the reader in both some basic exposition and searching application.

I really enjoyed reading this book and finished it in a few days. My favorite parts were about the resurrection and its implications. It's a mere 100 pages and the writing is very clear and simple to digest. Overall, it is a very warm, experiential, practical, and winsome book and I highly recommend it. It powerfully brings forward the gospel with many of its implications, and it would be a great read for just about anyone at any time, especially around Easter!

The Pure Flame of Devotion: The History of Christian Spirituality (Hc)
The Pure Flame of Devotion: The History of Christian Spirituality (Hc)
by Donald S. Whitney
Price: CDN$ 45.20
13 used & new from CDN$ 42.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Collection of Essays, Feb. 2 2014
This is a festschrift in honour of Michael Haykin, the prominent Baptist (and, might I add, Canadian) historian. All of the essays are connected to the theme of Christianity spirituality or piety, covering individuals from an expansive range of history. Essentially, the time period covered is the history of the Christian church, extending from Basil of Caesarea to the current day. The list of contributors is also quite impressive, including theologians such as Carl Trueman, Erroll Hulse, Donald Whitney, Tom Nettles, Fred Zaspel, Mark Jones, and Peter Beck.

As I read it, this book captured my attention, often exclusively. For an often distracted reader like myself who tackles many books at a time, that says a lot! I was floored to see a good biographical section on Dr. Haykin himself. I’ve read five books by Haykin, but he doesn’t tend to talk about himself a lot, so I found his life story to be fascinating and fresh. The “circa 1970/1971″ portrait was also quite delightful.

I found most of the essays to be compelling and instructive. You get a feel for not only incidental facts, but the real passion and heart and soul of some “spiritual giants”. The early parts of the book can be tough sledding, but don’t be discouraged, it gets easier as it moves along! One might want to jump around and read some of the last essays first (I don’t think there’s any reason why they need to be read chronologically). A little “reading diligence” is rewarded in droves here and you will find many treasures. I feel like there really is something here for everyone, and any Christian who wants to be serious about living the Christian life will find several essays that really hit it home.

I was confronted, in an up-close-and-personal way, with a window into the life of some prominent characters in the history of Christian spirituality, some of which I’m familiar with, and others which I’m not. It’s hard to pick my favorite essays in this book, but if I had to, I’d probably pick the ones on Anselm of Canterbury (David Hogg), Edwards (Beck), B.B. Warfield (Zaspel), Erskine/Mason (Stewart), Bunayn (Beeke), Boyce (Nettles), and Spurgeon (Whitney).

In conclusion, this is a fitting tribute to Dr. Michael Haykin. So fitting that you might say he could have edited something like this himself. Kudos to Weaver and Clary. They have not only given Haykin an excellent 60th birthday gift, they have also given the church a fantastic goldmine of essays which will reward the diligent reader.

The Wordy Shipmates
The Wordy Shipmates
by Sarah Vowell
Price: CDN$ 28.50
73 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Both Far Better and Far Worse Than 3 Stars, Jan. 24 2014
This review is from: The Wordy Shipmates (Hardcover)
For me, this book evades a star rating (so, don't read too much into my 3 star rating: the book is both better and worse than 3 stars). It was both an enjoyable read and an infuriating read. I think one of the commendations is right, Sarah Vowell IS the Madonna of Americana. She's also a true purveyor of Gonzo history. Like her other books, there's a strong travel writer slant to this book. Vowell is like a three-way cross between Bill Bryson, Joel Beeke, and...Hunter S. Thompson.

She looks at the American Puritans with a mixture of fascinated admiration and unveiled contempt. If you are looking for a careful, reverent, thorough, focused people's history of the Puritan colonists, this book is probably not going to please you.

On the other hand, if you want a gentle introduction that's an fun, easy read (and don't mind a provocative, snarky, and opinionted approach with plenty of rabbit trails), this might very well be the book for you. You will find a good deal in here about John Winthrop, John Cotton, the Pequot War, the banishment of Roger Williams and Anne Hutchinson

While I would say some aspects of this book were thoroughly annoying to me, I also found a good share of interesting tidbits presented in a way far more palpable to the modern reader than the dusty volumes you'd probably need to otherwise peruse. And so, in no way do I regret spending my time reading this book. Vowell certainly has a knack for "contemporizing" and spicing up history. Sometimes she gets way too carried away.

Devil In The Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America
by Gilbert King
Price: CDN$ 21.00
35 used & new from CDN$ 12.20

5.0 out of 5 stars One word: Wow!, Jan. 17 2014
When we think of America's southern states where lynching and other racial injustices occurred, few people think of Florida. Somehow, in spite of damning statistics, Florida has escaped much of the notoriety that has haunted states like Alabama or Mississippi. And yet, the flavour of white supremacy that flourished in Florida in the 20th-century was particularly brutal and extensive.

This book by Gilbert King is fantastic, an important and engaging window into the fight for justice in Groveland. I suppose you could call it historical non-fiction--with a bite!

The first book I read by King was The Execution of Willie Francis, the story of a black man in Louisiana who went to the electric chair twice. After finishing that book, I was already convinced of Gilbert King's genius. He writes non-fiction in a fresh, compelling way. So, when I eagerly picked up Devil in the Grove, I was initially confident I'd like it. However, as I began to read it, I started to wonder whether it might disappoint me.

It did take over half of this book convince me that Gilbert King has one-upped The Execution of Willie Francis--which, to be fair, is quite a tall task. The book won me over. King has produced a rip-roaring narrative, loaded with dramatic moments, and yet, it is conducted with the rigour of steady historical method. Not only does it move your emotions (it made me angry, outraged, sad, and I even laughed at a few points), but it is also highly informative and conveys an incredible amount of detail.

The book is centered on the efforts of NAACP lawyer Thurgood Marshall to exonerate four boys accused of rape, or at least spare them from execution. The "Good Ol' Boys" network was amazingly influential among law enforcement, judges, jury, and the general citizenry. As King repeatedly suggested, the line between the law enforcement and the KKK was a very, very fine line.

Along the way, we hear of the assassination of Henry T. Moore, and other bombings that consistently lead to no convictions. We meet a despicable Sheriff McCall, who seems to be the perfect stereotype of a Southern "Jim Crow" Sheriff. He proves to be quite capable of murdering defendants with impunity and, in his prejudice and lawlessness, he continued to supervise what could be justly called a "reign of terror".

Thurgood Marshall stands tall as an eloquent and courageous man who gives his all to fight against injustice. He was imperfect and, at times, frail and exhausted, but yet he had the tenacity of a bull dog. His fight in Florida was noteworthy, not only for his immediate effort, but also for the broader impact it had on the Civil Rights movement. The four Groveland boys stirred up a nation and the nationwide attention to the trial helped the NAACP raise funds and helped alert the country to the severe and systemic nature of racism in Florida and beyond.

I highly recommend this book and found it to be an amazing read, one that grew on me right up until the very last page! If you find the first half challenging, press on, the drama will likely draw you in.

The Execution of Willie Francis: Race, Murder, and the Search for Justice in the American South
by Gilbert King
Price: CDN$ 22.36
27 used & new from CDN$ 6.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, Jan. 17 2014
An excellent, compelling, and well written account of Willie Francis' two trips to the electric chair in Louisiana. What a sad story of racial injustice and double jeopardy in the justice system! Gilbert King takes what could be an dry historical-legal account and turns it into a whirlwind narrative, showing the struggles of the white lawyer who worked hard pro-bono to prevent the second execution. This is a fascinating book and a highly recommended read on Willie Francis, a little known but important figure in the history of the 1940s. I look forward to reading King's newer book, "Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America".

Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth, Authenticity and the Perfect Knuckleball
by R.A. Dickey
Price: CDN$ 22.80
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good story!, Dec 26 2013
I've read a lot of sports memoirs back in the day, but it's been quite a while! This is a really good one. Dickey is one of those rare baseball pitchers who makes a living on the knuckleball. He's articulate and deals with his history with honesty, and often, frankness. Eric Metaxas said this was a "extraordinarily moving and honest and inspiring memoir".

I am instinctively skeptical of stories that speak of "authenticity" and are about celebrities who experienced a "redemption" of sorts. However, I came away from this, both enjoying the story and having an endearing feeling towards the author. He seems to be a pretty humble guy who wants to learn both from his failures and other people who have more experience.

In his own way, Dickey was a man whose marriage and career went through a fire, and appear to have become stronger for it. He is straightforward about his Christian faith and it generally seems to inform his perspective, though I would not say that is at all the central theme of the book. I can imagine that any baseball fan, even a borderline one, could very well enjoy this book!

The Shop Around the Corner (Full Screen) [Import]
The Shop Around the Corner (Full Screen) [Import]
DVD ~ Margaret Sullavan
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 64.90
7 used & new from CDN$ 18.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A Touching Tale, Dec 17 2013
I didn't know what to expect when my wife and I sat down on a cold winter evening to watch this. Initially, as the first few moments in the film began, I began to have my doubts as to whether we would enjoy it. And yet, the movie proved to be very worth the while and both my wife and I enjoyed it. It's a lovely, touching tale. It's sentimental, but also balanced. It is realistic and it has a few lovely touches of humour. I highly recommend it!

Universal History Of The Destruction Of Books
Universal History Of The Destruction Of Books
by Fernando Baez
11 used & new from CDN$ 73.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Books Live Dangerous Lives, Dec 10 2013
This is an amazingly ambitious project, documenting the history of the destruction of books. It spans from “ancient Iraq” (Sumer) around 4000 BC to the chaos and looting in Iraq in 2003, and covers a lot of ground in between.

Of course, a book, no matter how valuable, can never compare to a human life, but still, one can’t help but have a sober pause to consider at the sheer volume of books that are lost, burned, eaten up by pests, and destroyed in other ways. The sweeping coverage of this book is actually quite amazing, even though, of course, it is not always very thorough.

It’s amazing, for instance, to see how little of ancient literature has been preserved, for as the author states, even “the most optimistic estimates calculate that 75 percent of ancient Greek literature, philosophy, and science has been lost”. It’s amazing to see how the ravages of war have wiped out hundreds upon hundred of libraries. It’s amazing to see with what rigor evil and wicked men have censored and destroyed books, attempting to weaken and subjugate people. The combined effect of over 6,000 years of destruction certainly leaves a pronounced impression in ones mind!

Whatever historical quibbles I may have with the book, and I do have a few, I appreciated it a lot. This book, translated from the Spanish text of its Venezuelan author, Fernando Baez, gives an astounding view of the dangerous lives that books live.

It is fitting to end this review with a quote that appears in this book, from Jorge Luis Borges:

“Of all man’s instruments, the most astonishing is, without any doubt, the book. The others are extensions of his body. The microscope, the telescope, are extensions of this eyes; the telephone an extensions of his voice; then we have the plow and the sword, extensions of his arm. But the book is something else: the book is an extension of memory and imagination.”

Antinomianism: Reformed Theology's Unwelcome Guest?
Antinomianism: Reformed Theology's Unwelcome Guest?
by Mark Jones
Price: CDN$ 19.67
8 used & new from CDN$ 19.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Treatise, Dec 2 2013
Right off the bat, Mark Jones wins a great deal of sympathy for tackling a tricky topic such as "Antinomianism". It's hardly ever been addressed, especially in the form of a recently released historical study. And yet, this is an important topic, with many pastoral implications.

When it comes to theology, balance and careful attention to biblical nuances is vital, and Mr. Jones does a good job of delicately treating this sensitive area. He affirms and upholds the classic Protestant doctrine of justification by faith apart from works, but with careful precision affirms and insists upon the necessity of works in regard to sanctification, and in a sense, salvation broadly considered.

It should be noted, however, that this book is more of a historical rather than exegetical treatment. Much of it focuses on looking at the subject from a post-Reformation perspective, particularly within the circles of the English Puritans. He draws heavily from Anthony Burgess, John Owen, Herman Witsius, and the like.

Jones shows how being an antinomian is far more than being simply "against the law". It is very much wrapped up in how we view other theological concepts, and ultimately how we view Christ himself. One of the best aspects of this book is its emphasis on the work of Christ and the work of the Spirit. Jones emphasizes the importance of having a proper Christology, and ties the error of antinomianism to a deficient Christology.

Antinomianism mocks the very idea of the "imitation of Christ". It attempts to drive a strict wedge between promise and duty. There is a incipient discomfort with the thought that the gospel makes demands. . It focuses on justification to the extreme of neglecting the doctrine of sanctification. It recoils away from the Biblical truth that the law, accompanied by the Spirit, has a role to play in sanctification. It is not satisfied to maintain a law/gospel distinction in regard to justification, it must bring it into sanctification as well. It avoids or downplays the idea that in Christ, the law is a friend. Though it refuses to admit it is "against the law", it ultimately has a negative and diminished view of the role of the law in the believer's life. It is also highly uncomfortable with emphasizing the importance and necessity of good works.

This book suggests that this incipient "antinomianism" is currently quite popular in some circles. He succeeds in showing, *almost* without naming any names, that some strains of thought at large in the broadly Reformed community have much more in common with the English Antinomians than it does with the Westminster Assembly.

In avoiding error in this regard, we need to be careful to preserve the biblical "both-and", rather than falling into either-or thinking. Jones, going against the grain of many current teachers such as Tullian Tchividjian, that "sanctification is not 'simply' the art of getting used to our justification" (a catchy but unhelpful and inaccurate platitude).

Jones offers a lot of good insights. He also gives a good analysis of the rhetoric of Antinomianism. Frequently, Antinomians are in more serious error in what they fail to say than in what they do say. And Antinomian preaching is actually fundamentally "boring"--it often repeats mantras and "cute" phrases without getting to the heart of Christ and His person and work.

Ultimately, Jones powerfully demonstrates that the error of Antinomianism will not be fixed by swinging over to the other extreme of Neonomianism, since "Swinging the pendulum too far in the other direction has never effectively combated error".

The solution, ultimately, lies in a careful balance and, ultimately, a good Christology! To Jones, the solution to antinomianism is "to understand and love the person and work of Christ". Jones concludes the book in a fitting way. He concludes that the way to fight against “the Golden white devil” (Samuel Rutherford's way of describing Antinomianism) is by means of Jesus Christ, the one who is “chief among ten thousand”.

I would say that Mr. Jones is, intentionally I think, a bit provocative at a few points. No doubt, some people will "cry foul". After all, this book is rather bold, but I believe it provides a much needed corrective. I look forward to seeing the fruits of the discussions this book will undoubtedly provoke.

Much of the controversy that will no doubt arise over this book will be unjustified. That is not to say that there wasn't a point or two that made me raise my eyebrows (which would be consistent with Mr. Jones' attempt to be a bit provocative). And there might be a few areas that might require a bit further discussion and hashing out. That said, it's a solid work and quite on the mark.

I highly recommend this book if you are looking for a relatively comprehensive and searching treatment of the subject, especially if you are most interested at approaching it from a historical perspective.

The New Calvinism Considered: A Personal and Pastoral Assessment
The New Calvinism Considered: A Personal and Pastoral Assessment
by Jeremy Walker
Price: CDN$ 12.21
17 used & new from CDN$ 4.12

3.0 out of 5 stars "The New Calvinism Considered" Considered, Nov. 27 2013
This is an attempt by Jeremy Walker to analyze what is often called "New Calvinism", a movement highlighted in Times Magazine's as being among "10 Ideas Changing The World Right Now".

I have a lot of reasons to want to like this book. I'm a "Reformed Baptist" and so, doctrinally speaking, I'm probably more closely aligned to Jeremy than many of those who are characterized as "New Calvinists". I do not tend to consider myself a "New Calvinist" (although I must admit I do not have a clear notion of what that term means). I am generally concerned about some of the exaltation of celebrities that is going on and I also have some serious fundamental concerns with the ministries of Mark Driscoll and James MacDonald. And finally, I was graciously sent a free copy of the book to review.

I did, however, find the book somewhat disappointing. Let me begin with some positive things.

Jeremy expresses a desire to be fair and irenic, and he generally makes good on it. He wants his readers to avoid the extremes of either jumping on the bandwagon or being stubbornly dismissive of profitable things found in "New Calvinism". He clearly wants his readers to "recognize the grace of God and be glad when [they] see it". I can say "amen" to a lot of things mentioned. I find most of Jeremy's overarching concerns to be validly applicable to one or another corner of what is commonly called "New Calvinism", especially the ministries of Mark Driscoll or James McDonald. How broadly applicable these things are is a matter that needs to be further fleshed out.

Now let me share a basic overview of why I am disappointed with this book. I'm spending most of my time on outlining the flaws mainly because, (a) I'm instinctively biased towards this book and hence the flaws become more weighty, and (b) I want to justify the "three star" rating I gave it.

1. It seems to fail at coming up with a satisfactory definition of "New Calvinism", and this problem seeps into Jeremy's commendations and critiques. Though there is room for definitional fluidity, the task at hand requires somewhat of a concrete definition with some boundary markers. I don't think Jeremy's caveat that "New Calvinism" is a nebulous phrase exempts him from the need to shed some definitional light on the matter. The alliterated headings of Calvinism, Characters, Conglomeration, and Consolidation do not seem to sufficiently define boundaries for the movement. And, so, while Piper and Driscoll are almost constant topics of interest in this book, individuals, organizations, and ministries are picked up and dropped in a somewhat haphazard way as they become useful for the particular topic Jeremy is currently covering. Since the group he is critiquing is so nebulous and hard to define, maybe it would have been better for him to try to narrow his target a bit more? It seems even unclear whether even the esteemed author of this very book might not lurk somewhere in the outskirts of "New Calvinism" (after all, at least in America, the modern Reformed Baptist movement IS relatively young, rediscovery of an old confession notwithstanding!)

2. Jeremy's "commendations" section is so heavily qualified that it loses its power and largely becomes a preface to his "concerns" section. You don't get very far into the commendations section until you start seeing a large dose of "However", "Nevertheless", "I want to qualify this", etc. Would it not have been more productive to keep the "commendations" section on track with unequivocal commendations, and move these reservations to the "concerns" section? It certainly would have lent a more irenic effect.

3. While he has accomplished his wish to avoid doing "a hatchet job", there are some valid questions about the balance of his coverage. Is Jeremy dealing with the best arguments and representatives that "New Calvinism" puts forward? Or is he merely scrapping the bottom and finding the worst excesses and the biggest debacles? That question is hard to answer. Personally, I believe it's clear he's generally trying his best to be fair and avoid straw-men. That said, there could be some questions raised about Jeremy's focus. Driscoll gets more time than Duncan, Dever, Carson, DeYoung, and Mahaney together. It is unquestionable that Driscoll is a huge figure in New Calvinism, but is he really that significant and representative? Or, is Jeremy gravitating towards Driscoll, perhaps because he is controversial and perhaps one of the more charismatic and problematic figures? This is a legitimate question. Be that as it may, I don't think one could accuse Jeremy of egregiously broad sweeps, but it seems like his selection of quotes and sources may have coloured his assessment to some degree.

4. A number of areas lack detail and/or polish, often raising more questions than are answered. Jeremy seems to be dismissive of Kuyperianism (or at least Neo-Kuyperianism), but doesn't really explain this sufficiently, nor does he give solid details on how it is explicitly related to New Calvinism. Also, his implication that New Calvinists got the idea that "everything is neutral" from Kuyper seems questionable, especially knowing that Kuyperianism, at least in one sense, regards nothing as neutral. He then jumps along to talk about rap music, the regulative principle, and Tim Keller as though these "connections" are obvious. And he seems to ignore that a thoroughgoing Kuyperianism pervades the broader Calvinist movement in general, not just what might be called "New Calvinism". At times Jeremy introduces a lot of names and concepts without proper explanation, leaving a fair amount of unhelpful loose ends. Tullian Tchividjian, who I do believe is propagating a problematic and unbalanced theology, is brought into the discussion with no explanation of who he is or even a listing under "Individuals of Note" at the end of the book. And the mention of the Federal Vision, also, is unhelpfully terse. I'm left sort of puzzled by what Jeremy means when he refers to Douglas Wilson's "guise"?

5. The book doesn't seriously enough grapple with the way the listed concerns are not the exclusive domain of New Calvinism. Those who would vehemently deny that they are "New Calvinists" can be vulnerable to these very same (or other) pitfalls, so clearly there are broader issues at play here that are. It appears to me that things like excessive focus on charismatic personalities and antionomianism has also become entrenched in many circles that would not be associated with "New Calvinism". In fact, much of the confusion which Jeremy points to in relation to the DeYoung vs. Tchividjian debate actually originates clearly outside of what might be called "New Calvinist" circles. Could it be that some of the "New Calvinists", since they are high profile, have just become more visible manifestation of the general trends that are exhibited elsewhere in the Reformed and Evangelical world?

6. The book lacks the presentation of a clear, concrete alternative. No doubt, there are some prescriptive suggestions and his concluding paragraph contains some sound advice, but it is hard to see how it specifically relates to the topic of the book or presents something that would be antithetical to the "New Calvinism" movement. He makes the statement: "Be Calvinists. Don't be new Calvinists or any particular brand or stripe of Calvinist." On the surface, this seems unobjectionable, perhaps even catchy. You might even say it would take a "New Calvinist" to come up with something witty like that. "Be Calvinists" is repeated no less than 4 times in the conclusion. However, the more I ponder that catchy statement, the more puzzled I become. What exactly does it mean? And how does his exhortation to not be "any particular brand or stripe of Calvinist" fit in with his later exhortation to exhibit particular stripe of Calvinism that is "robustly confessional" and has "well-grounded churchmanship" (an exhortation which I agree with, for the record).

The above listed flaws not withstanding, this book raises some important questions. And with the above caveats, I would say that some folks in Reformed-ish circles could profit from it. Despite the flaws, it is a rather sincere and heartfelt effort about a genuine pastoral problem. I do hope that the "New Calvinism" movement, whatever exactly that might be, whether through Jeremy's book or some other means, does get to some serious self-examination. I hope that they examine some of the basic issues raised in Jeremy's critiques, and that there is a serious move towards a more sound, stable, rooted, confessional, and sensible direction. And I also hope that their critics will be fair and generous. I hope that an irenic and charitable environment remains and that this book might be the early beginning of some helpful conversations, noted flaws notwithstanding.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20