Profile for coastalslacker > Reviews

Content by coastalslacker

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

"coastalslacker"

Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple: Interactive Edition
Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple: Interactive Edition
by Stephen Goldberg
10 used & new from CDN$ 4.76

2.0 out of 5 stars good only for the simple or time-constrained, March 14 2006
If this book is all the neuroanatomy you know, good luck. It's somewhat useful, and it may be a good review tool when I am practicing, but I found it extremely superficial. If you know NOTHING, and have a few weeks to catch up to your class before a Neuro block exam......this isn't a bad place to start. That said, you'll probably find large chunks of it overly vague and undetailed.

Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
by Jared Diamond
112 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars boring, but worth a read if you don't know this stuff, March 14 2006
This is a good book if you don't already realize that we're screwing ourselves as a species. If this describes you, then read this book. It is methodical, it makes a strong case, and it doesn't degenerate into rhetoric like lots of environmentally themed books. Diamond does not present an Ehrlich-like appocalypitic certainty-he is generous enough, and confident enough in human beings' resourcefullness, to give us even odds. This is nice, because, while I do believe we're hooped if we don't change, I do believe we CAN change, and alot of popular books on this subject always just tell us we're done like dinner.
For fans of Guns, Germs and Steel, don't expect this book to be anywhere near as good. If you are an environmentally-minded person and have done some reading on the subject, don't expect to take a whole lot of new, relevant, information from this book. It is pretty damn boring. By making his case methodically, step-by-step, Diamond bored me to tears (especially in the early going). It is important that he makes his case in this manner, to close the loop-holes for lunatic right-wing economists, but from a literary point of view it is a terrible read.

Never Let Me Go
Never Let Me Go
by Kazuo Ishiguro
18 used & new from CDN$ 7.36

3.0 out of 5 stars worth reading, but not if you're a one book a monther, March 14 2006
This review is from: Never Let Me Go (Paperback)
This book is good but, for me, it didn't live up to the hype. It is well written, but I never got that "I can't put this book down" sense until the last 50 pages or so. I should mention that, while I think Ishiguro is quite talented (loved "when we were orphans"), I'm not his greatest fan (didn't like "remains of the day"). Furthermore, I don't think this book should be talked about in the same breath as "the handmaid's tale"-this book is nowhere close to as good or as provocative, and Ishiguro is nowhere near the writer that Atwood is.
Oh, and people keep talking about the ethical issues around cloning raised by this book-Stop! That's not why this book was written; it is not a science fiction book, it is about relationships. I did find, however, a strong parallel between the developed world's effortful indifference towards the plight of the developing world, and the way in which "students" are viewed as sub-human by the book's general population in their own effort to avoid the ethical ramifications of how their illnesses are cured. They aren't willing to take the hit to their lifestyle to act ethically, and neither are we. Wow, superpreach.