Profile for Leonard Snerdley > Reviews

Content by Leonard Snerdley

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Leonard Snerdley (Tacoma, WA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Outside Looking In Best Of Th
Outside Looking In Best Of Th
Price: CDN$ 12.12
30 used & new from CDN$ 3.31

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much for me, July 19 2004
I don't consider myself an expert in harder music, especially punk. I like my melodies pretty, my guitars acoustic, my words understandable. Despite this, on a recommendation of a friend, I picked up this album, figuring it might be the best way to get into the Blossoms, one of the premier punk bands of the nineties. Although I can see where the Gin Blossoms were going with their sound, it's all just a little too heavy (and angry) to be successful. That's a problem with a lot of punk music, in my opinion. The execution overwhelms the intent.
I am not going to say this wasn't a good band, especially placed in the context of the other punk bands of the period. It's just not for me. I think I may swap this for a little Phil Collins - now that's some music I can dig!

Ultimate Air Supply
Ultimate Air Supply
Price: CDN$ 16.19
23 used & new from CDN$ 7.73

5.0 out of 5 stars In a word, Marvelous, July 19 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Ultimate Air Supply (Audio CD)
I hope I can conjure up the words necessary to explain to the world how important this band is to me. Their arrival on the scene in the mid-to-late seventies was like a breath of fresh air (no pun intended) and helped soothe some of the pain that I felt from Bread's disbanding. Soft rock had some new kings, and they weren't going to let anything bad happen to the kingdom (metaphor).
Listening to "Ultimate Air Supply", it's hard not to think back to some of the best times of my life, falling asleep to "Lost in Love" with the headphones on, or playing a little air guitar to "The One That You Love", trading Air Supply albums with friends. . .good times.
This is the good stuff, right here. This is rock music, gutsy and raw, as pure as it has ever been and ever will be. Punk may lay claim to being the purest genre, but no punk can sing or write with one tenth of the heart and soul that Graham and Russell bring. That goes for the Clash, Green Day, Pearl Jam, Gin Blossoms - all the punks.
As long as Air Supply is still making music, I can sleep easy at night. Thanks guys - from a real fan.

The Blair Witch Project (Full Screen)
The Blair Witch Project (Full Screen)
DVD ~ Heather Donahue
Price: CDN$ 8.99
51 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars What's the point?, July 16 2004
For four years, this movie chilled me to the bone. It also sickened me, because I couldn't believe that someone would actually try and profit off someone's death. That seemed pretty low. It wasn't until 2003 that a friend of mine let me know this thing was a hoax. While I was relieved, I was also pretty angry.
If my anger seems misplaced to you, let me try and explain. If this is not a real documentary, what's the purpose of making it so poorly? Shaky video cameras - it looks like my Christmas videos. Do you think someone would pay me to watch those? "The Legend of Boggy Creek", which covers many of the same issues and is done in a semi-documentary style, is made with much higher production values, and as a result is much, much scarier. Watch it with the lights off if you don't believe me. Also, I can't get behind any horror movie that never shows its monster. How am I supposed to know what to be afraid of? A shaking tent? Stick figures?
I give it three stars for the idea and one star for the execution. I'm off to watch "Boggy Creek" again.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Director's Edition)
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Director's Edition)
DVD ~ William Shatner
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 87.90
23 used & new from CDN$ 3.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Where's Chekov?!!, July 15 2004
I like this movie fairly well, but I have to lower its ranking by a star, simply because of the fact that the filmmakers chose not to include Chekov. Rick Berman has done so much damage to the Trek franchise, and this was one of his earliest errors. No matter what Mr. Berman may think, Chekov was a valuable part of the television show, adding a Russian flavor to the show's international stew. To not include him is not only wrong, it's borderline offensive.
Walter Koenig is a fine actor, and I'm glad Berman saw fit to let him participate in the other Trek movies. His presence here would have made a decent movie very good, at the very least. If you're looking for your Chekov fix, watch Star Trek II.

Incubus
Incubus
DVD ~ William Shatner
Offered by eplayplay
Price: CDN$ 26.51
8 used & new from CDN$ 23.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a movie for me!, July 15 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Incubus (DVD)
I had thought for years that my hours and hours of learning Esperanto, and my ensuing service in my school's Esperanto Education Club, were all going to be in vain, much like the time I got my car's dials and gauges converted to the metric system. I hadn't used my second language in years...and then I found out about "Incubus", which is ENTIRELY in Esperanto!
I'm not a big fan of subtitles, but I am a big fan of Esperanto and William Shatner, so I quickly got over my objections. Pretty soon, it was like the subtitles weren't even there. I enjoyed the film so much, I'm even working on a reunion of our club! Once again, I'm proud to be an Esperanto speaker. Mi parolas Esperanton!!

California Dreams
California Dreams
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 194.22
5 used & new from CDN$ 47.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Someone - Anyone - Please put this CD back in print!, July 15 2004
Ce commentaire est de: California Dreams (Audio CD)
When I was lucky enough to find this CD used at a garage sale, I was incredibly happy. When I began to really listen to it, I got a little sad. Not because the music was bad; far from it. No, I became sad because I realized how few people in the world are going to get to hear this album, until some enterprising record executive gets his stuff together and rereleases it (maybe with bonus tracks).
What are you missing with this being out of print? Try "This Time", one of the best uptempo songs of the past 15 years. And "Love is Not Like This", which will absolutely break your heart. We're talking about the best music ever made by a TV band, even the Monkees.
So, record executives, if you want to continue to deprive the world of solid songwriting and heartfelt performances, by all means, do not rerelease this CD. But I feel someone out there- someone with a heart- owes it to the world to shed a little light on a dark and dreary pop world. Maybe I'm crazy. That's just my California Dream, I guess.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2-Disc Collector's Edition) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 24.15
110 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed, July 15 2004
As pirate movies go,I suppose "Pirates of the Caribbean" is a quality movie. I'm certainly no expert on that. However, I am an expert on "Pirates of the Caribbean", the ride at Disney Land. Usually, I will ride it 6-7 times when I'm visiting the park. So, you can understand how I was more than a little excited that my favorite ride was becoming a movie.
Sadly, what I got was little more than a meager bone thrown my way. Director Gore Vidal has taken a stunning experience, and added useless new characters and plot, showing situations that were never in the original ride. What's more, the classic "Pirates of the Caribbean" song is hardly heard at all here. It's heard throughout the ENTIRE ride, Gore.
If you're in the mood for a pirate movie, I guess this is the place to come (although don't overlook the underrated "Pirate Movie" from the early 80s). If you're looking for the ride captured on film, better just save your money and buy a ticket to Disney Land. (or World)

Happy Days: Season 1 (Bilingual)
Happy Days: Season 1 (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Ron Howard
Price: CDN$ 15.93
25 used & new from CDN$ 13.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Excited, but more so about later seasons, July 15 2004
It's great that Happy Days is finally getting its release on DVD. I hope that it sells well, because while I like these early seasons FAIRLY well, I am anxious to see the later years. I know that's hardly a popular viewpoint, but seeing as how I was the president of The Chachi's, a non-profit Chachi fan club, in my high school years, you'll forgive me if I think that the Baio years were head and shoulders above the early seasons.
Why is that, exactly? Well, I think there are several reasons. While Ron Howard, Henry Winkler et al are gifted actors and were excellent on this show, I always knew I was watching actors. It wasn't until Baio joined the cast that I realized what I was missing. He WAS Chachi; so much so that I couldn't watch "Charles in Charge" for years, because I was so sad that Chachi and Joanie had apparently broken up.
So, yes, I'll enjoy "Happy Days: Season One", but I will be counting the days until I have the Baio years on DVD. I'm also looking forward to the release of the 10th season, where the show experienced something of a renaissance with KC, Flip, Roger, Ashley, and Heather. Oh, and Fonzie too. AAYYYYYY!

Kidz Bop 5
Kidz Bop 5
Price: CDN$ 9.73
19 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably better than the originals, July 15 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Kidz Bop 5 (Audio CD)
As anyone who knows me knows, I love good pop music. I try and listen to the radio to stay hip with what everyone is doing, but I often find myself nostalgic for the days of Toto, Journey, Styx, Triumph, Billy Vera, Chicago, the Platters, Kool and the Gang, Vitamin Z, Aztec Camera, the Jets, DeBarge, El Debarge, the Commodoores, Michael McDonald and Terrence Trent D'Arby. The days when music MEANT something. Now, even when I can understand the words, the sentiment behind the music is angry and hurtful.
Which is why I love these Kidz Bop CDs. I'm sure I'm not in the target demographic, but it's so refreshing to hear good tunes, removed from a context of anger and placed in a nice, friendly environment. Now, I can get down to "Hey Ya", without worrying about any of its overtones. I can jam to "Are You Happy Now?", which has been transformed from an angry, snide rocker into a query, where the singer is actually curious if you're happy. That's much easier for me to handle. And what about "Crazy In Love"? Infinitely better here.
If I had my way, top 40 radio would be playing these versions, instead of the originals. It's so great to see that people can turn pop music into something positive and uplifting. Thanks, KidzBop.

Wingspan Hits And History
Wingspan Hits And History
Offered by @ ALLBRIGHT SALES @
Price: CDN$ 74.15
15 used & new from CDN$ 26.23

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorely Lacking Laine, May 26 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Wingspan Hits And History (Audio CD)
Hmmm. . .for a Wings greatest hits CD, this is a pretty good Paul McCartney best-of. It amazes me that they can anthologize this group and sell so short the contributions of Denny Laine, who any fan will know was the heart, soul, and muscles of Wings.
"Let Em In"? "Live and Let Die"? "Band on the Run"? I can live with these, definitely. But where are "Children Children"? "Time to Hide"? "Again and Again and Again"? Unjustly shelved, that's where they are. Making a Wings best of without Denny is akin to making a Beatles best of without John. You just don't do it. As a result, Wings will now continue to be seen mainly as a vehicle for Paul McCartney, when that simply isn't true. Wings was a band. A team. A unit.
Now if you'll forgive me, I'm going to go listen to my own self-made version of Wingspan - the DENNY-FIED version!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5