Profile for Redheadpolyglot > Reviews

Content by Redheadpolyglot

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Redheadpolyglot "redheadpolyglot"

New York City Ballet: Workout V.1
New York City Ballet: Workout V.1
DVD ~ Peter Martins
Offered by moviemars-canada
Price: CDN$ 16.45
10 used & new from CDN$ 16.45

3.0 out of 5 stars Get the second one instead. . ., March 23 2004
Greetings. From the title of this review, you probably think I didn't really care for this workout, which isn't entirely true. Despite its relatively quick pace, it's a great introduction to ballet. The exercises will make you stronger and more graceful. However, I have two major issues with this DVD that force me to give it a three-star rating.
1) There are 17 sections of this DVD, each separated by a 15- to 30-second pause. I don't know why there isn't an option for the workout to run continuously because this pause is a real downer. Imagine this scene: you're doing grand battements. . .un, deux, trois, quatre. . .you're really starting to feel the burn. . .un, deux, trois, quatre. . .all of a sudden, the section is over and you're left staring at the practically blank screen while the next section is introduced. Fifteen seconds later, the workout begins again, but not after you've lost a lot of the energy you just acquired. Too bad.
2) This one is really unforgivable. Anyone who's ever taught a exercise class knows he or she must mirror the students not only in action but also in words. For instance, if you're facing the class and you ask them to do a tendu on the right, you must do it on the left BUT still say you're doing it on the right. The instructor on this DVD, Peter Martins, does not do this, which leads to a lot of confusion. You always have to remember to ignore what he's saying in order to perform the techniques correctly. This is a real disappointment because it's really a beginning instructor's mistake. I learned to stop doing this when I was 15 - a 40-something ballet master-in-chief should be skilled enough to have done this correctly.
Luckily, both of these problems are corrected in the second DVD, which also offers a challenging sequence from Balanchine's Tarantella. Skip this one and move on to that one. Trust me.

Pilates Beginners Mat Workout [Import]
Pilates Beginners Mat Workout [Import]
DVD ~ Gaiam: Pilates
Price: CDN$ 16.43
19 used & new from CDN$ 8.54

5.0 out of 5 stars A good workout in a short time, March 23 2004
For those of us who work, like me, exercise is often relegated to the spare minutes of the day. Since these minutes must also be allocated toward activities such as eating, bathing, cleaning and childcare, I've always been on the lookout for workouts that are as efficient as possible. Pilates Beginning Mat Workout provides this excellently, achieving an entire exercise session in 25 minutes. Ana Caban is a peppy instructor who gives challenging yet very doable workout instruction. There are no wasted movements in this session - everything counts for something. A great workout for people on the run who want to look and feel better. I highly recommend it.

NTC's New Japanese-English Character Dictionary
NTC's New Japanese-English Character Dictionary
by Jack Halpern
8 used & new from CDN$ 11.65

5.0 out of 5 stars An indispensable guide for the serious Japanese student, Oct. 29 2002
There are few things I know enough about to justify speaking about them definitively. Learning foreign languages, in fact, is pretty much the only one. Japanese is the fourth non-native tongue I am trying to stuff under my belt so I've been through all the dictionary shopping before. And, I can say, without a doubt, that this is a miracle book. A bible for Japanese learner, it makes looking up characters remarkably easy and quick. I have never spent more than 90 seconds flipping through this mammoth tome before finding what I am looking for. In addition to an intensely comprehensive selection of kanji listed by stroke order, this dictionary also lists by frequency, by radical, by joyo/non-joyo/names AND by on/kun. I was unfortunately not intelligent enough to have purchased this book at this site, so I paid the full $$ for it. Three years later, I can say with 100% that it was well worth the investment. Jack Halpern is a genius for coming up with the SKIP method. If you're serious about becoming fluent in Japanese, buy this dictionary and the Random House English/Japanese dictionary. Both are fantastic investments.

Tales Of The City
Tales Of The City
by Armistead Maupin
67 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The epitome of fabulousity, July 4 1999
This review is from: Tales Of The City (Paperback)
Last summer, I picked up Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City and began to read. One week and 2,000 pages later, I finished and found myself incredibly depressed the series had finally been drawn to a close. What a wonderful world they had at 28 Barbary Lane. Granted, it didn't last for very long and some of the characters (Mary Ann!) became horrible people, but it was still enjoyable all the way through to the last page of the sixth book. Highly recommended for anyone who desires a quick (unless you become addicted to the series like me), extremely entertaining read.

Borrowed Time: An Aids Memoir
Borrowed Time: An Aids Memoir
by Paul Monette
28 used & new from CDN$ 4.94

4.0 out of 5 stars A real eye-opener, July 4 1999
I don't live under a rock but even still, being a gay male in the 90s, I can honestly say I don't know anyone with AIDS. Consequently, I have never had to endure the loss of losing someone I love to the disease without a cure. Yet I still found myself drawn to Paul's story about his struggle with the deterioration of his partner, Roger. After reading Becoming a Man, I progressed to this part of Paul's autobiography, expecting it to be much like the other part of the story. However, it wasn't. Not at all. The book introduced the tragedy of what occurs when good people experience horrid things. I couldn't believe Roger was actually dying throughout the book. He and Paul seemed so happy together; they had finally proven to the world that they, a gay couple, could survive in American society. Then the disease hit. What a loss, even with the AZT treatment, even with the constant barrage of doctor's appointments. I suppose this book made me aware that life, like I had heard so many times before, is not fair. If it were Roger would not have died and Paul would not have followed him seven years later.

Becoming a Man: Half a Life Story
Becoming a Man: Half a Life Story
by Paul Monette
41 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Empathy, July 3 1999
I read an older version of Becoming a Man so when I finished I actually thought there was a chance I could meet the author of this wonderful semi-autobiography. Unfortunately, when I read Borrowed Time, I discovered Paul Monette had died of AIDS in 1995. I cried. I had finally found in Becoming a Man someone I felt I could truly empathize with, could truly relate to. While Paul and I come from different stakes, economic backgrounds and generations, his book showed me the similarily of our emotions while making me believe I could lead a fulfilling life as an openly gay man. That was two years ago. I still continue in my struggle today but at least I know I am not alone in my fight. Thank you, Paul.

Valley of the Dolls
Valley of the Dolls
by Jacqueline Susann
Price: CDN$ 12.64
81 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Un chef-d'oeuvre choquant et fascinant, July 3 1999
This review is from: Valley of the Dolls (Paperback)
I work at a hotel as a bellperson so I have a lot of free time to read where there aren't any customers around. Yesterday was one of those days so I pulled out Valley of the Dolls, something I had checked out of the library the previous month. I didn't get through much at work but when I arrived home, I began reading. And reading. I didn't get to bed last night until 5 a.m. I woke up today promptly at noon and resumed where I had left off. I finished the book today at work at 10 p.m., devouring the novel at a rate of 50 pages an hour. True, any book one can read at that speed can probably not be classified as intellectually stimulating, however the novel more than makes up for it in emotional content. At one point, I was hitting the page, trying to warn a character not to submit, attempting to make her see matters more clearly. I suppose that is proof of how enveloped I was by this book. True, I don't consider myself smarter now, but I do see myself as wiser after reading the novel. It's a perfect example of how beauty, which is so exalted by our society, can be so detrimental. At the same time, it also showed me how unglamourous the world can be. I only come across this type of book about once every six months so now I'll have to go through another inevitable literary slump. Why did that book only have to be 442 pages? Oh well, I guess I'll never know.