Profile for Darrell Nungester > Reviews

Content by Darrell Nungester

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Darrell Nungester (Floyds Knobs, Indiana United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
MCSD Visual Basic 6 Desktop Exam Cram: Exam: 70-176
MCSD Visual Basic 6 Desktop Exam Cram: Exam: 70-176
by Michael D. MacDonald
12 used & new from CDN$ 0.04

3.0 out of 5 stars Average supplemental study source, Oct. 17 2002
I would never recommend just 1 or 2 book to use as a study guide. When I was studying for the exams, I used about 6 or 7 books including this one. This book is OK if you use it as a supplemental to all of your other study guides. If you use this book as your single source of study for the 70-176 exam, you will probably fail. Only about 60-70% of material in this book is on the test.
There are several errors in the practice questions at the end of the chapters and in the practice test at the end of the book.
I would recommend James D. Foxall's "MCSD in a Nutshell" (See my review of that book) and the Transcender courses as you primary study guides.

MCSD in a Nutshell
MCSD in a Nutshell
by James Foxall MCSD
Price: CDN$ 37.18
37 used & new from CDN$ 0.50

5.0 out of 5 stars MCSD in a Nutshell + Transcender = Pass!, Oct. 17 2002
This review is from: MCSD in a Nutshell (Paperback)
This book and the Transcender courses help me pass both exams (70-176 Designing and Implementing Desktop Applications using Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 and 70-175 Designing and Implementing Distributed Applications using Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0). Please note: I used about 6 or 7 books as study guides.
Material in all of the chapters could or will be on the either exam but pay attention to Chapter 13 - Packaging and Deploying an Application and Chapter 14 Visual SourceSafe and the Visual Component Manager. My exams had an overwhelming number of questions about these subjects.
The author indicates at the beginning of each chapter what material is covered on each of the exams. With the exception of Chapter 12 (Creating Microsoft Transaction Server Components), I found the material in every chapter could be on either exam. Regardless of which exam you are going to take, if you read the chapters religiously, you will be prepared for whatever questions that are on either exam. When you combine this book with the Transcender courses, you will pass the exams. Good Luck!

Serious ADO: Universal Data Access with Visual Basic
Serious ADO: Universal Data Access with Visual Basic
by Rob Macdonald
25 used & new from CDN$ 7.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Good ADO Book for Visual Basic 6.0, Oct. 16 2002
This is a good book that explains the intimate details of ADO but the format of book leaves a little to be desired. On most pages the 3/4 of the page has the text and the left 1/4 of each page is blank or contains subheadings. There is no clear-cut separation between 1 subject and the next. While reading this book, if you do not pay close attention, the subject will change. The author clearly knows ADO and how to apply it to Visual Basic 6.0 but it appears that he repeats the text in several parts of the book especially in chapter 3 - RecordSets with SQL Data Sources. Maybe it was my imagination but several times I had a sense of Deju-Vu. Didn't I read about this earlier in the book? Chapter 4, 5, and 7 (Explicit Connections, Explicit Commands, and Disconnected RecordSets) are very good and you will want to read these chapters religously. Installation of the files on the CD caused some problems on my PC, which has Windows XP Home Edition. If you like Shakespeare, you'll like the examples in this book. Beware the Index is not in synchronization with the actual page numbers.

ASP.NET For Dummies
ASP.NET For Dummies
by Bill Hatfield
Price: CDN$ 17.00
27 used & new from CDN$ 0.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect ASP.Net starting point, Oct. 11 2002
This review is from: ASP.NET For Dummies (Paperback)
For developers who have little or no experience with ASP.Net or developers who know a little bit about ASP 3.0, this is the perfect starting book to learn ASP.Net. Don't be fooled by "for Dummies" in the title, Bill Hatfield does a great job of teaching you the basic of ASP.Net amd then some. In the first couple of chapters, I learned several tricks to ASP.Net. For example, I didn't know that my ISP could provide me with a Web page that could run ASP.Net. When Bill mentioned it in his book, I checked with my ISP and found that it was true. I thought that I had to have IIS installed on my PC in order to run ASP. For people with Windows XP Home Edition that means upgrading to the XP Professional and that [costs a lot]. None of the other ASP books that I have purchased mentioned this. When you finish this book you will not feel like a dummy any more. The chapters are relatively short and I read the first 3 chapters in the first sitting. Bill Hatfield really knows ASP and this is his second book (ASP 3.0 for Dummies) that has obtained 4 or 5 stars. This is the first book you want to buy on ASP.Net. Then you can follow it up with the more advanced books on ASP.Net of your choice. The cartoons in the "Dummies" series really help to relieve the stress of studying.

Visual Basic .NET Programmer's Reference
Visual Basic .NET Programmer's Reference
by Dan Rahmel
Price: CDN$ 23.96
27 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Right-Hand reference material, Oct. 11 2002
Whenever I need some help with Visual Basic.net, this is the first source that I use. Sometimes it is better than the on-line help. I would supplement this book with the "Visual Basic.Net: The Complete Reference" book. I would highly recommend that both books be added to your Visual Basic.Net reference library. Although not as fast as the on-line help, the book provides better answers to your Visual Basic.Net questions. The only error that I found is ADO.Net becomes ADO.Next in the chapter on ADO.Net. Must have been the publisher.

Moving to VB .NET: Strategies, Concepts, and Code
Moving to VB .NET: Strategies, Concepts, and Code
by Dan Appleman
Price: CDN$ 34.30
34 used & new from CDN$ 2.60

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh-No!!! Another bad book from Dan, Oct. 10 2002
This is the second Dan Appleman book that I have reviewed (the other being "Developing Com/Activex Components With Visual Basic 6"). In both books, Dan starts to tell you about something and then he goes off on some tangent and starts talking about something else. Maybe he will get back to the original subject. This is like debugging spaghetti code, only this is Dan's writing style. It is very hard to follow and very frustrating. Not all of Dan's books are like this. I did not buy this book and when a friend asked me to review it, I was a little leary. Dan's book about API is very good. I was hoping for better from Dan. Too much talk. Remember Dan, Keep It Simple!!!

Visual Basic and COM+ Programming by Example
Visual Basic and COM+ Programming by Example
by Peishu Li
22 used & new from CDN$ 1.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to COM+, Oct. 10 2002
Although I have extensive experience with Visual Basic, I was a novice when it came to COM+. When I started this book, I felt that I did not know anything about COM+. When I finished this book, my skill set was at an intermediate level. This book is well written and I read this book from cover-to-cover. VB developers coming from a n-tier environment that used MTS may find this book a little too basic but for developer with little or no experience with MTS will find this book useful in learning COM+.

Differential Scanning
Differential Scanning
by Hoehner
13 used & new from CDN$ 7.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to SQL Server 2000 for VB Developers, Oct. 10 2002
This review is from: Differential Scanning (Paperback)
This is an excellent introduction to SQL Server 2000 for Visual Basic 6.0 developers. I used this book and Robert Vieira's Professional SQL Server 2000 Programming (Also by Wrox) to study for the Designing and Implementing Databases using Microsoft SQL Server 2000 exam (70-229). The 2 chapters on XML were especially good. Thearon does his best work when he works solo and this book is one of his best. I have his SQL Server 7 book and both books are well-written. I really like the "Hardware Tracking" tutorial that he follows for most of the book. This tutorial will also help with your Visual Basic skills. I have learned several new VB tricks just by following along. I hope that Thearon writes a Beginning SQL Server 2000 for Visual Basic.Net Developers.

Programming VB .NET: A Guide For Experienced Programmers
Programming VB .NET: A Guide For Experienced Programmers
by Gary Cornell
Price: CDN$ 39.85
43 used & new from CDN$ 2.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the Beta but a little long in some chapters, Oct. 10 2002
This is a pretty-good book if you base it on the Beta. The chapters on OOP (Chapters 4 - Classes and Objects and 5 - Inheritance and Interfaces) are very long. Chapter 4, 5 and 6 (Event Handling and Delegates)form the heart of this book, but I would have broken them down into smaller chapters. The information in those chapters provide a good introduction to OOP. At times, I felt the authors were hard to follow and found myself re-reading several pages especially in Chapters 4 and 5. Overall this book probably is about 3 1/2 stars. I am hoping that in the next release of this book that the authors would follow their own advice and break the chapters down into smaller parts. ...

Visual Basic Object and Component Handbook
Visual Basic Object and Component Handbook
by Peter Vogel
21 used & new from CDN$ 5.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference and study guide for Visual Basic 6.0, Oct. 10 2002
This book takes comprehensive look at Visual Basic Objects and Components including ActiveX EXEs, DLLs, Documents, and MTS/COM+. Every type of object or component is examined in this book and very well explained in a way to make you understand. Peter Vogel's writting style makes reading this book easy.
This book was a major study guide for the Designing and Implementing Desktop Applications using Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 (exam 70-176) and the Designing and Implementing Distributed Applications using Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 (exam 70-175). I passed both exams. This was an excellent addendum to the Transcender courses and I use this book several times a week as a reference. There are a lot of Visual Basic 6.0 shops out there and I would highly recommend that this book be part of their reference library.
The author is suppose to be writing a Visual Basic.Net Object and Component Handbook which is due out next year. If that book is as good as this book, I will highly recommend it too. I have about 30 Visual Basic books and this book is one of the best.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10